NAEA Convention Update

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      I received an update for NAEA Convention 2007. I added it to this page:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/news/NAEA-NEWS.htm

      Incredible Art Resources
    • Sheba
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 26, 2006
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Decker" <judy.decker@...>
        wrote:> I received an update for NAEA Convention 2007.

        I have never been to the national convention, but want to go this year
        (and submitted a proposal) Here are some questions for those of you
        who have been before.

        ~I see the fee is discounted, that is just the convention registration
        fee right? and then you add hotel fees on top of that?
        ~When you register do they take your hotel registration too or do you
        contact the hotel seperately?
        ~I am thinking of bringing my mom with me but she has some limited
        mobility. I was hoping to do some sight-seeing with her, is there any
        down time for that sort of thing?
        ~When do you know what the sessions are and how do you sign up for
        them, is that done in advance or once you get there?
        ~Do people add a day or two at either end to do local sight-seeing?
        New York has so many awesome things and with the cost of the plane
        ticket I would like to make it worth-while.
        ~Will schools pay for this kind of thing? or are there grants? If so
        how do you approach the admin about it? (FYI my budget has already
        been cut again, I am down to $1.50 per kid and can't have an
        afterschool club because there is no $$ for them either, so there is
        not a lot of money at our school/district to go around)
        ~is it fun?

        thanks!

        Sheba~Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted creative visionary"
        The ART Site
        http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com/
        The School Site
        http://thevirtualclassroom.org/
      • Kris Fontes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2006
          I have never been to the national convention, but want to go this year (and submitted a proposal)  National receives about 1800 proposals and accepts about 900. They don't let you know until a few months before the convention.

          ~I see the fee is discounted, that is just the convention registration fee right? YES and then you add hotel fees on top of that? YES and I booked my room yesterday - they only have double rooms left and they cost $234 a night. They charge your credit card for one night when you make the reservation. It is really worth the money to stay at the hotel where the convention is taking place.

          ~When you register do they take your hotel registration too or do you contact the hotel seperately? You make your own hotel reservation.

          ~I am thinking of bringing my mom with me but she has some limited mobility. I was hoping to do some sight-seeing with her, is there any down time for that sort of thing? You can do whatever you want - when we went to Boston two years ago, I tried to cram in a ton of workshops but this year in Chicago I did alot of things around Chicago in addition to workshops - i.e. the Chicago Institute of Art, shopping, eating ethnic food, etc.

          ~When do you know what the sessions are and how do you sign up for them, is that done in advance or once you get there. Keep checking the NAEA website at www.naea-reston.org for the PDF of the convention catalog (about 100 pages) I took a highlighter and highlighted the workshops that interested me, often two or three at the same time but I wanted more than one option - then NAEA sends out a newspaper version of the catalog BUT when you get there they give you a large professionally printed catalog listing everything. The workshops are listed but the "description" is short and sometimes you have no clue what it is really about...so you go and if it doesn't appeal to you,  you leave and go to one of the other workshops you highlighted. When you see the catalog online and the registration form online check and see if you want to do any ticketed workshops as they go fast. I did an ATC workshop with Craig Roland which was awesome. There were ALOT of interesting off site tours and workshops that the convention committee arranged...they will also be listed in the PDF or the NAEA newspaper.

          ~Do people add a day or two at either end to do local sight-seeing? New York has so many awesome things and with the cost of the plane ticket I would like to make it worth-while. I'm sure some people do this but you do have time on your own. I personally plan on spending at least a day at the Museum of Modern Art and the Met.

          ~Will schools pay for this kind of thing? mine does. or are there grants? don't know. If so how do you approach the admin about it? we just put in a request. Go to the NAEA website, click on the convention and find the link that says Encouragement Letter - it is to give to your admin explaining why it is beneficial for you to attend a national art conference.

          ~is it fun? IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST TIME!!!!

          kris fontes

          www.krisfontes.com

          It has removed 1023 spam emails to date.
          Try SPAMfighter for free now!
        • Don/Lynn Whitehead
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
            Hi there,

            I was looking at your school website and wondered if you could tell a little about the artwork that appears in the Art Club section?  Is this done with cardboard?  What medium was used?  I love the neutral tones and etched look.  Also, in the fiber arts section, did the kids use white glue when creating those beautiful  yarn scenes? The yarn is applied so carefully.  Any good process hints to share?

            Lots of other great projects, as well.

            Thanks for your time.

            Lynn Whitehead
            Portland, Oregon
            Cedar Mill Elementary

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Don/Lynn Whitehead
              <donlynnwhitehead@...> wrote:
              I was looking at your school website and wondered if you could tell a
              little about the artwork that appears in the Art Club section? Is
              this done with cardboard? What medium was used? I love the neutral
              tones and etched look.

              The art club process is detailed here...
              http://thevirtualclassroom.org/html/home.html
              the how-to section has videos step-by steps of how those tiles were
              made. They are thick bookboard/posterboard cut in relief and glued to
              wood with several layers of shellac. The process was designed and
              taught by a printmaker to look like old woodcut blocks.

              Also, in the fiber arts section, did the kids use white glue when
              creating those beautiful yarn scenes? The yarn is applied so
              carefully. Any good process hints to share?

              Yes these are just yarn and white glue on poster board. It is messy
              and time consuming. I had them use pointy sticks/pencils to help push
              the yarn into the glue to cut down on finger stickiness.

              hope that helps!

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 28, 2006
                Hi again,

                The video series describing the relief tile process is great!  I do a much simpler relief project using foil to cover the carboard design.  The kids apply black shoe polish over the foil.  After the polish has dried for awhile they rub the surface with 0000 steel wool.  The result is a cool metal-like finish.

                Back to your tile project, is there any chance I could obtain the specific types of stains and varnish that were used?  I know, from experience, how important it is to use the correct products.

                Am I understanding correctly, that the tiles were installed at the park?  Are there pictures of the final project?

                Curious in Oregon,

                Lynn Whitehead

                <donlynnwhitehead@ ...> wrote:
[...]

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • egfmary
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 28, 2006
                  I am trying to make hotel reservations for the NAEA conference in
                  March and I found out that the hotel that NAEA listed does not have
                  rooms with more than one bed left (we have 2-3 going). Anyone have a
                  suggestion for another hotel that would be in the area? I realize that
                  there are hotels everywhere in that neighborhood, but just wanted a
                  recommendation from someone who is more familar with the area.
                  Thanks from Northern MN,
                  Mary
                • Sheba
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 30, 2006
                    <donlynnwhitehead@...> wrote:
                    >>>Back to your tile project, is there any chance I could obtain the
                    specific types of stains and varnish that were used? I know, from
                    experience, how important it is to use the correct products.

                    Actually, there was an artist in residence that taught the process,
                    and the supplies he used, he brought with him. They were ~NOT~
                    something I would be able to use in the regular classroom due to
                    school regulations. The black was a think OIL paint and the other two
                    were oil based varnishes. I cannot have this in the classroom due to
                    the type of chemicals required for clean-up and the type of
                    ventelation needed while working with them. They were only allowed
                    for this short and small after-school group. For the final clear
                    sealant, he had to take them to his studio to finish. (again because
                    of the toxicity of the varnish)

                    I plan to attempt a similar look later this year with gesson and
                    block printing inks that are water based. We will see if it gets a
                    similar look. I will keep you posted.

                    I do like your idea of the foil and shoe polish. I tried something
                    simuliar with foil and black tempra but it didn't really come out. I
                    think the shoe polish (since it is wax based) could work in a similar
                    manner to the black oil paint.

                    >>>Am I understanding correctly, that the tiles were installed at the
                    park? Are there pictures of the final project?

                    The kids actually got to keep their tile. The artist scanned them and
                    will be turning them into a pattern that will then be PLASMA CUT into
                    large sheets of steel. These sheets of steel will then be welded in
                    relief and installed at the park. From my understanding, the scanning
                    and pattern-making are happening this summer, the plasma cutting this
                    Fall and the installation ~supposedly~ before winter. However, the
                    teacher at the vo-tech that does the plasma cutting was critically
                    wounded when he was crushed by several heavy sheets of metal. He has
                    been hospitalized and recovering for most of last school year. (he
                    barely survived) No other instructors know how to operate the
                    equipment. I will be very surprised if they complete the project on
                    their current time-line. I will, of course, post pictures of the
                    final installation when it occurs.