canvas question

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
      I have been wondering (and refuse to ask anyone in person for fear
      of ridicule!) can you use regular linen or cotton fabric from the
      fabric store as canvas instead of that very expensive stuff in the
      supply catalogs?

      Thank you,
      Amanda
    • The Austin's
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
        I have used bed sheets many times for paintings. Once you stretch and gesso
        them the difference is very subtle. My students seem to think that all
        "great" art is done on canvas, and that canvas boards are the ultimate in
        quality. SO I have my students paint on all different kinds of surfaces.
        Gesso'ed paper is one of my favorites, as well as masonite. Oh, and the
        reason I've used bed sheets is that dollar for dollar, a bed sheet is
        cheaper than buying x number of yards of white cotton cloth at Wal-Mart.
        ~Michal

      • Kidlfrndly@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
          Dear Amanda,

                There are some different types of canvas of varying weights and qualities for sale in fabric stores like the Rag Shop. It can usually be found near the broad striped canvas that is used for window awnings.(They also have plain white.) There is also a coated canvas that I have used for banners. I would think if you found one of and appropriate weight, stretched it, and used Gesso, it would work. I would buy a small piece and try it out, though, to make sure that the fabric could survive the stapling and stretching without running or tearing. Don't forget, usually in the Sunday paper, there are 40% off coupons for one item at the Rag Shop. That would be quite a savings if  you were to purchase one piece that was several yards long. Hope this helps!!
          Lisa Varuolo
        • Woody Duncan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2003
            You can go to a fabric store and buy duck cloth.
            Woody in KC

            --
            28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
            in powerpoint format, on one CD $15