Re: [art_education] Art and literacy

  • Judy Stenger
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12 9:25 AM
      Here is a great website about Art and literacy. I am going to try to have the person who presented it at our art leadership sessions bring it to my school for professional development. I am impressed!
      http://pzweb.harvard.edu/tc/index.cfm

      Peace and Grace
      Judy S
    • K Olson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16 4:05 PM
        I just returned from a week long institute called Picturing Writing: Fostering
        Literacy Through Art developed by Beth Olshansky at the University of New
        Hampshire. It was a wonderful and inspiring week of workshops where words and
        pictures are treated as equal and complementary languages for learning.

        Quality picture books are used as mentor texts to model the languages of words
        and pictures. Students make watercolor paintings first using a variety of
        techniqes and then work through the artist/writer workshop process to create
        wonderful picture books. Their inspiration and excitement come from their own
        art expressions. It is a perfect way to blend art and writing. The week was
        geared toward elementary ages but could be adapted for middle school as well.

        The finished books are amazing, with elequent language that you would not
        believe came from a young person, students with special needs or English
        Language Learner. There is plenty of research to show that the writing scores
        of students who use the Picturing Writing process improve dramatically. Look
        at the Picturing Writing website for more information and examples.

        www.picturingwriting.org

        I would highly recommend attending Beth's training if you can! It will
        strengthen your art and writing programs.

        Kathy Olson
        Vista Academy of Visual and Performing Arts
        Vista, California
      • Jan Vallar-Gillette
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16 7:29 PM
          Kathy,
          WOW! I checked out the site and it is truly amazing.
          I have been wanting to do a form of art journaling
          with my kids, but this would get the L.Arts person
          involved as well. Did they have any examples of
          Middle School books?
          Jan

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17 8:43 AM
            Re: [art_education] Re: Art and literacy When I began teaching grades k, 1 and 2 (at different times!), my mentor, Marlene McCracken, taught me a technique called “Language Experience”. Each day my kids would journal and write and illustrate their words. This is how they learned to read. I am so happy to read about ‘picturing writing’ at the website from Kathy Olson. www.picturingwriting.org
            I can vouch from experience that this approach works. I can’t stop thinking about all the books my kids created. Some were worthy of publishing in the mainstream. Anyway, this approach is rock solid and highly motivating for the kids. The quality this person gets from the kids is amazing.

            MaryAnn

               MaryAnn F. Kohl
               educator/consultant/author

            maryann@...
                www.brightring.com

[...]

          • Valerie Pientka
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18 7:03 PM
              Thank you for sharing this literacy site. It looks awesome.
              I found this site and wanted to share with all art teachers.
              http://www.pbs.org/howartmadetheworld/
              Lesson plans are included.
              Val in IL

              \
            • Valerie Pientka
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 18 7:07 PM
                Thank you for sharing this site as well. It also looks just like what I
                have been searching for.
                Grateful Val in IL