Re: [art_education] Easy relief printing project - great results

  • Liz Egan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
      While I was a long term sub in an elementary school, I did the cardboard relief project a little differently with wonderful results from 3rd graders.  We started by looking at a naturalist's notebook, talking about the importance of observation and tying in to their studies of plants in science.  They then did blind and modified blind contour drawings of plants to improve their own observation skills.  They drew floral and plant designs on blank corrugated cardboard pieces about 4" by 5" (they were irregular sizes since I was cutting up found boxes etc),  The students used scratch board stylus' to punch holes close together along the drawn line edges and connected the dots to create scored lines.  This gave them lots of control about depth and detail of design with the cardboard layers.  They either removed all layers entirely or just removed the top layers revealing the "stripes" or left it blank.  After they were done I shellacked them so they would take ink better and could be washed, (but if I were to do it again I would gesso them),  The students inked them with brayers and hand printed them on a manual printing press -- I bought it from the NASCOcatalog, our school did not have a printing press and this was very effective.  We used water based printer's ink and they cleaned up easily.  The schedile of lessons was as follows:
      Day One:  review of Naturalism, Observation, and horticulturists notebook (I had one with drawings and plant samples in baggies with notes on species, etc.
      Day Two:  Fold drawing paper in quarters - timed blind contour drawins from four different plants.  Students move from table to table.  Turn paper over and do four more - this time 'peeking" as you draw.
      Day Three and Four:  demonstration of plate creation - students then draw designs and begin removal and plate creation
      Day Five and Six:  Print cardboard plates - reink and reprint.  Each child wound up with three or four prints.  Alternate activity was used here for students who were "done" or waiting.  Students worked in groups as each table was set up with a different ink color and one table was set up with clean paper and press which is where I was the entire class.  Students put their finished prints on drying rack and either reinked or cleaned up and did alternate activity.
      Day six: One or two were selected and mounted onto colorful construction paper and doubled mounted onto black railroad board.  Then then signed in pencil and titled them.

      They looked great and they were hung in hallway by their homeroom classroom.
      While many students kept their prints, I got to save a few terrific examples by asking certain students to print an extra copy for me.  I also have the cardboard plates.

      Liz Egan
      Westbrook Middle School
      Westbrook, CT

      Judy Decker <judy.decker@...> wrote:
      Dear Art Educators,

      Here is a project for you to think about - relief printing plates made
      from corrugated cardboard (the ridges print):
      http://www.aaps.k12.mi.us/ins.artdatabase/browse_search_gallery&mode=list&recordID=55857
      This shorter link may work:
      http://www.aaps.k12.mi.us/ins.artdatabase/browse_search_gallery

      There are two pages of images. Designs are geometric. Corrugated
      cardboard is cut with directions of ridges changed to make the plate
      and print more interesting. The examples are fourth and fifth grade.
      Plates and prints are 8" square. Some examples are printed over
      colored tissue paper (I am assuming) and other examples are hand
      colored with markers. Click through to see examples of plates shown
      with the prints. Motivation would be Op Art. Older students could make
      larger plates and more complex designs.

      If anyone does this lesson, send me a couple images and plan for
      Incredible Art Department. I will credit Pittsfield School, Ann Arbor
      as source of the idea (although I have seen this done before).

      I found this site while looking for new elementary art sites to add to
      Art Departments. I found a few good ones.....went through ten pages of
      Google - that was enough for me (grin).

      Incredible Art Resources

      Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/PcIolB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
        Hi Liz,
        I really like this idea.
        Two questions:
        1. why would you use gesso instead of shellack?  Either is fine with me I was just wondering what you learned that I could learn from.....
        2. do you think this would work ok if you printed by hand instead of with a press?
        Oh, also do you have any photos you could share for inspiration?
        Thanks!!
        Cindy