Re: [art_education] website hosting question

  • Harold Olejarz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
      Theresa,

      If you have a Mac and iLife06 or 05 buying a.Mac account for a website
      is actually a great deal. iLife 06 makes it easy to set up a
      photogallery and you can get into blogs and podcasts too. There are
      some limits on what you can do with the web pages because of the
      templates they give you. if you don't have any experience creating web
      pages this is a good way to go.

      A cheaper thing to do is to use one of the services that provides
      blogs for free. I suggest you use http://edublogs.org/ On their web
      page they say "Create your own ad free fully featured WordPress blog
      at edublogs.org. Including free Yacapaca assessment tool from the
      Chalkface Project. In addition to a free blog, all users also get an
      ad free wikispace!" Especially if oyu are going to have children and
      parents look at the blog I would use a service that is designed for
      educators.

      I set up my blog on blogger, http://www.blogger.com/home, but if I was
      setting up a class blog I would not use this service because the other
      blogs on this site may not be school appropriate. On my blog you can
      click on a link in the upper right hand side of the page to get to the
      next blog... the next blog could be something you would not want your
      kids to see (naked texas art teachers for instance).

      If you know html or Dreamweaver or Frontpage or GoLive, web page
      editors, you can buy a domain name and ftp your pages to the server.
      if you don't know what i am talking about here I suggest you go with
      one of the first two options or be prepared to sit down with some
      books for a few days to learn how to create a website from scratch.
      You can buy a domain and set up a site for about $40 to $50 per year.
      Check out www.godaddy.com for pricing if you decide to go that route.

      One more thing--- Does your school have a website? If so I would think
      that the tech people would be happy to get you started. Also, before
      you post any kids art or pictures of kids make sure your principal has
      approved it. Your school should have a policy about that and forms for
      kids. At my school we only use students first names and there are some
      parents who do not want their kids pictures posted on the web.

      Good Luck,

      Harold

      Harold Olejarz
      Blog - digitalharold.blogspot.com
      Website - www.digitalharold.com
    • theresagillespie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
        Thanks Harold - I was pondering if buying the .Mac account was a good deal - there
        seemed to be a lot of things with it. I have a new (purchased in May) iBook G4, so I have
        iLife06 with iWeb. I didn't have time to fiddle with the free trial of .Mac because it was
        during the end of school craziness. And though I consider myself technical inclined - I
        have no experience with webdesign.
        The district does have a website - but I haven't seen any individual teacher or classroom
        sites. I'm going to check with them and have already thought about a form to go home
        first of the year for parents.
        Thanks for the advise - I will look into your suggestions.