website hosting question

  • theresagillespie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
      I'm wanting to create a website for my classrooms. I want to be able to post projects and
      ideas to share with students, parents and other art teachers.
      I was wondering what you all thought was the best web hosting service - what those of you
      who have a site use? I have an iBook -but don't know if I want to fork out the $99 a year
      for .mac.
      I've visted many of your sites and am itching to create my own.
      Thanks
      Theresa
    • Harold Olejarz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
        Theresa,

        If you have a Mac and iLife06 or 05 buying a.Mac account for a website
        is actually a great deal. iLife 06 makes it easy to set up a
        photogallery and you can get into blogs and podcasts too. There are
        some limits on what you can do with the web pages because of the
        templates they give you. if you don't have any experience creating web
        pages this is a good way to go.

        A cheaper thing to do is to use one of the services that provides
        blogs for free. I suggest you use http://edublogs.org/ On their web
        page they say "Create your own ad free fully featured WordPress blog
        at edublogs.org. Including free Yacapaca assessment tool from the
        Chalkface Project. In addition to a free blog, all users also get an
        ad free wikispace!" Especially if oyu are going to have children and
        parents look at the blog I would use a service that is designed for
        educators.

        I set up my blog on blogger, http://www.blogger.com/home, but if I was
        setting up a class blog I would not use this service because the other
        blogs on this site may not be school appropriate. On my blog you can
        click on a link in the upper right hand side of the page to get to the
        next blog... the next blog could be something you would not want your
        kids to see (naked texas art teachers for instance).

        If you know html or Dreamweaver or Frontpage or GoLive, web page
        editors, you can buy a domain name and ftp your pages to the server.
        if you don't know what i am talking about here I suggest you go with
        one of the first two options or be prepared to sit down with some
        books for a few days to learn how to create a website from scratch.
        You can buy a domain and set up a site for about $40 to $50 per year.
        Check out www.godaddy.com for pricing if you decide to go that route.

        One more thing--- Does your school have a website? If so I would think
        that the tech people would be happy to get you started. Also, before
        you post any kids art or pictures of kids make sure your principal has
        approved it. Your school should have a policy about that and forms for
        kids. At my school we only use students first names and there are some
        parents who do not want their kids pictures posted on the web.

        Good Luck,

        Harold

        Harold Olejarz
        Blog - digitalharold.blogspot.com
        Website - www.digitalharold.com
      • theresagillespie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
          Thanks Harold - I was pondering if buying the .Mac account was a good deal - there
          seemed to be a lot of things with it. I have a new (purchased in May) iBook G4, so I have
          iLife06 with iWeb. I didn't have time to fiddle with the free trial of .Mac because it was
          during the end of school craziness. And though I consider myself technical inclined - I
          have no experience with webdesign.
          The district does have a website - but I haven't seen any individual teacher or classroom
          sites. I'm going to check with them and have already thought about a form to go home
          first of the year for parents.
          Thanks for the advise - I will look into your suggestions.