Re: [art_education] Block schedule

  • Joy B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
      i had a block schedule for four years and i found a
      few things to be helpful.

      1. start class with a warm up (i have some suggestions
      if you are interested)
      2. have at least two activities: independent and group

      3. wrap up with some sort form of assessment (can be
      super short like a 1.2.3. card to start the next class
      with)

      even if the kids are working on a project most of the
      class, they can do an early critique or walk around
      the room to look at kids work...if you chat about it,
      it could take at least 15 minutes...
      also allow 10 minutes for clean up
      those classes scared me at first...but soon they were
      so short!

      cheers
      joy

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Act Silly 4 Art
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2006
        I teach 5-8 grade, I have each grade twice a week, 90-minutes periods.  I love the block schedule because it gives me more time to set up the projects without feeling rushed.  My basic rule of thumb is to create projects that are stretched out over the whole week or several weeks.  I usually spend the first half of the class introducing the project followed by the students starting the project.  The next class, I usually spend 15 minutes reviewing the criterias of the projects, answering questions and solving problems.  The rest of the class period the students work on their projects.  This really works well for me although I have other art teachers tell me that they dedicate the first half of the block to working on the art projects and the second half is a free art or study hall.

        I really like having the 90-minutes with my students and although the classes are held only twice a week we get a lot done and I think the quality of work has improved because the students don't feel rushed either.  If students finish early with their projects they are encouraged to go back and see if there is anything else they can do to improve it or they assigned to help others.

        cat
        Matt and Chris Davis <davisc@...> wrote:
        I teach art in a middle school, grades 5-8. We will return in the fall to
        an alternating block schedule, meaning I will have 80 minute periods. I am
        looking for suggestions from people who work with a block schedule for how
        to effectively organize the class period. Any tried-and-true advice?

        Thanks ..... Chris