Re: [art_education] Block schedule

  • Barb Felsecker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi Chris:
      I think you will LOVE the block scheduling! For art teachers in
      particular, it gives students so much more time to work on projects and your
      80 minutes can be used to the fullest because the set-up and cleanup times
      are not taking up most of the class period as in a traditional 55 minute
      period. For the most part, I present more projects that are lengthier and
      more time-consuming with four-block. I have found that in our 4-block
      schedule ( I teach at the high school, 9-12 graders....each term is about
      eight weeks), you have to be more selective in what projects you are
      presenting since all our art classes are only eight-weeks long....so we
      only have those particular students in that particular class for those eight
      weeks. There are some classes at our school, however, that go for two
      terms...but not many (hybrids).
      Also, if you have a few students in your class that are a pain and think
      that your art class is just a class for being rude, obnoxious and/or for
      socializing or whatever (these are the students that mistakedly believe
      that art classes are blowoff classes and school rules don't apply here but
      are surprised when they find out there are high expectations from me-some
      even drop the class!) then you need to remember that you are only having to
      deal with these students for 8 weeks or so instead of a semester!! Every
      class I've taught has a mixture of students...grade-wise and
      background-wise. So you can easily have a lower-entry art class with most
      freshmen and just a couple of seniors. The higher-level classes usually
      have those students who are older (11-12 graders); have been at the high
      school and in the art department for a few years; and really enjoy the work.
      No class is exactly like another; each class is unique and brings with it
      some interesting challenges.
      Another thing I've found....the time goes by alot faster with block
      scheduling. It seems a term barely begins and we are calculating mid-term
      grades. And, of course, each term requires a final exam.
      If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me off the list.

      BF

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        i had a block schedule for four years and i found a
        few things to be helpful.

        1. start class with a warm up (i have some suggestions
        if you are interested)
        2. have at least two activities: independent and group

        3. wrap up with some sort form of assessment (can be
        super short like a 1.2.3. card to start the next class
        with)

        even if the kids are working on a project most of the
        class, they can do an early critique or walk around
        the room to look at kids work...if you chat about it,
        it could take at least 15 minutes...
        also allow 10 minutes for clean up
        those classes scared me at first...but soon they were
        so short!

        cheers
        joy

        http://mail.yahoo.com