New

  • Lorri Richey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2006
      I am a 43 year old college student, lol. I am attending USI and
      started as an english major, but "accidentally" got in drawing one
      when I botched college algebra. I totally rekindled a long unused
      passion. I haven't dropped the english major yet, because I want my
      creative writing certificate from that department, as I love to
      write also. I did add Art k-12 as a second major. I want to be an
      art teacher as I grow up, lol.

      I have a seventh grader and kindergardener. As I have volunteered
      in my older daughters schools I have seen how the schools differ
      than mine in the seventies. I don't like it at all. They took out
      nurses, art, some music, librarians....ugh, even recesses are
      shorter. You cannot have school or jobs without art!!!

      I won't rant on all that at the moment, but I am concerned as to my
      job situation in three years. Currently I am in Evansville Indiana
      and I don't want to stay here if I have a choice. I eventually want
      to live in a small cabin on one of the lakes in Kosciusko County
      Indiana because we summered there for years, and a lot of my
      relatives lived up there. Whats not to like when you live on a
      lake, lol! Hamilton county is very familiar to me also and they are
      really growing. Supposedly they have a plan to build three to five
      new schools because they have to, and they are redistricting. I
      couldn't afford to live there, but working there would probly pay
      good.

      At the very least, I am keeping my eyes open and asking many
      questions of our local art teachers and my art professors. If I get
      back up north I will for sure be persuing my masters in art after I
      find a job.

      I was also wondering if home schooling parents hire art teachers for
      their kids? If I could ever work out my schedules I am considering
      part time substitute teaching just to get in the schools again down
      here.

      Thought I would check in with an intro since I have mostly been
      reading posts and getting an idea of what everyone was doing. I am
      amazed by the "art cart" issues. I had to tell my art professor
      about that, since she is retirement age and still works at a local
      high school. My professor has been a wonderful source of
      information.

      Lorri
    • Barb Reser
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006