RE: [art_education] Clay Cars

  • Act Silly 4 Art
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
      What a great idea...  clay cars.  Mine if I borrow you idea, I think my 5th graders would love the idea of creating clay cars... I could incorporate it with my lesson on form and function.  Oh, and then have the kids write little stories about each cars character, a nice language arts tie in.  Oh, now I've got to write this up.... thanks for the inspiration.

      Oh, almost forgot.  Depending on what age group your students are you might want to reconsider hollowing out the clay.  For example, with my 5th graders I think I will have them use either a pinch and slap technqiue.  Maybe have them use newspaper or balloons as the armature then have the students build the clay around it, adding details and facial expressions that are slipped and scored on.  Or maybe have them start with a pinch pot turned upside down, have the students carve out wheel holes or add slap wheels.  Then using slip and score have them add details and facial expressions.  For more complexity to the project, I think I'll have them create a smaller pinch pot that they can add to the top of the vehicle's body and then cut out windows or a sunroof.  Those are just a few ideas from the top of my head.

      Thanks again for the inspiration.

      cat

    • K A
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
        Cat ~

        I'm glad you're excited about the idea too!  Thanks for the tips!

        ~  Kathleen

        "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

        - Pablo Picasso

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • linda
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
          I have made a little clay convertible before using slab and coils.
          Every year, I have my fifth graders make hollow form ceramic animals
          or gargoyles. There are some on our website from this year. I have
          them draw what they want to make before they make it. They also
          have to lay a sheet of tracing paper on top of their drawing and
          diagram in cross section what parts will be made from pinch pots,
          perhaps pinch pots joined togeter, slab, coil, or modeled form. You
          could certainly do this with clay cars, as well. Adding little
          pinched form animals as drivers or riders in these cars or pickup
          trucks, etc. could be fun.
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Act Silly 4 Art
          <actsilly4art@...> wrote:

          > What a great idea... clay cars. Mine if I borrow you idea, I
          think my 5th graders would love the idea of creating clay cars... I
          could incorporate it with my lesson on form and function. Oh, and
          then have the kids write little stories about each cars character, a
          nice language arts tie in. Oh, now I've got to write this up....
          thanks for the inspiration.

          > Oh, almost forgot. Depending on what age group your students
          are you might want to reconsider hollowing out the clay. For
          example, with my 5th graders I think I will have them use either a
          pinch and slap technqiue. Maybe have them use newspaper or balloons
          as the armature then have the students build the clay around it,
          adding details and facial expressions that are slipped and scored
          on. Or maybe have them start with a pinch pot turned upside down,
          have the students carve out wheel holes or add slap wheels. Then
          using slip and score have them add details and facial expressions.
          For more complexity to the project, I think I'll have them create a
          smaller pinch pot that they can add to the top of the vehicle's body
          and then cut out windows or a sunroof. Those are just a few ideas
          from the top of my head.

          > Thanks again for the inspiration.
          >
          > cat

          30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

        • kamla_rk
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
            In my pottery class the 4-5th graders just want to make mobile phones
            with their clay.They have conversations with each other on their clay
            phones......becuase mobiles are not allowed in schools neither for
            students nor the staff.

            Kamla.