Clay Cars

  • arizkma
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
      I'd like to do some clay cars this fall. I've been saving the happy
      meal vehicles from that upcoming movie with the talking cars (to use
      as models). If kids made them about four inches long and a couple
      inches high, would they have to be all hollowed out from the bottom?

      ~ Kathleen
    • Catherine King
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2006
        Kathleen,
        I would always suggest hollowing out any clay that is more than 1/2" thick.
        It will help you conserve clay for future projects, but most importantly, it
        will significantly reduce the chances of clay explosions in the kiln, and
        allow for much shorter drying times.

        Cheers!
        Catherine

        I'd like to do some clay cars this fall. I've been saving the happy
        meal vehicles from that upcoming movie with the talking cars (to use
        as models). If kids made them about four inches long and a couple
        inches high, would they have to be all hollowed out from the bottom?

        ~ Kathleen

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Act Silly 4 Art
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
          What a great idea...  clay cars.  Mine if I borrow you idea, I think my 5th graders would love the idea of creating clay cars... I could incorporate it with my lesson on form and function.  Oh, and then have the kids write little stories about each cars character, a nice language arts tie in.  Oh, now I've got to write this up.... thanks for the inspiration.

          Oh, almost forgot.  Depending on what age group your students are you might want to reconsider hollowing out the clay.  For example, with my 5th graders I think I will have them use either a pinch and slap technqiue.  Maybe have them use newspaper or balloons as the armature then have the students build the clay around it, adding details and facial expressions that are slipped and scored on.  Or maybe have them start with a pinch pot turned upside down, have the students carve out wheel holes or add slap wheels.  Then using slip and score have them add details and facial expressions.  For more complexity to the project, I think I'll have them create a smaller pinch pot that they can add to the top of the vehicle's body and then cut out windows or a sunroof.  Those are just a few ideas from the top of my head.

          Thanks again for the inspiration.

          cat

        • K A
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
            Cat ~

            I'm glad you're excited about the idea too!  Thanks for the tips!

            ~  Kathleen

            "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

            - Pablo Picasso

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • linda
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2006
              I have made a little clay convertible before using slab and coils.
              Every year, I have my fifth graders make hollow form ceramic animals
              or gargoyles. There are some on our website from this year. I have
              them draw what they want to make before they make it. They also
              have to lay a sheet of tracing paper on top of their drawing and
              diagram in cross section what parts will be made from pinch pots,
              perhaps pinch pots joined togeter, slab, coil, or modeled form. You
              could certainly do this with clay cars, as well. Adding little
              pinched form animals as drivers or riders in these cars or pickup
              trucks, etc. could be fun.
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Act Silly 4 Art
              <actsilly4art@...> wrote:

              > What a great idea... clay cars. Mine if I borrow you idea, I
              think my 5th graders would love the idea of creating clay cars... I
              could incorporate it with my lesson on form and function. Oh, and
              then have the kids write little stories about each cars character, a
              nice language arts tie in. Oh, now I've got to write this up....
              thanks for the inspiration.

              > Oh, almost forgot. Depending on what age group your students
              are you might want to reconsider hollowing out the clay. For
              example, with my 5th graders I think I will have them use either a
              pinch and slap technqiue. Maybe have them use newspaper or balloons
              as the armature then have the students build the clay around it,
              adding details and facial expressions that are slipped and scored
              on. Or maybe have them start with a pinch pot turned upside down,
              have the students carve out wheel holes or add slap wheels. Then
              using slip and score have them add details and facial expressions.
              For more complexity to the project, I think I'll have them create a
              smaller pinch pot that they can add to the top of the vehicle's body
              and then cut out windows or a sunroof. Those are just a few ideas
              from the top of my head.

              > Thanks again for the inspiration.
              >
              > cat

              30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

            • kamla_rk
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
                In my pottery class the 4-5th graders just want to make mobile phones
                with their clay.They have conversations with each other on their clay
                phones......becuase mobiles are not allowed in schools neither for
                students nor the staff.

                Kamla.