Re: [art_education] Art contests...are they worth the time and energy ?

  • go4art@juno.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2006
      I agree...pick and choose the ones to enter and not let it drive the
      curriculum! Certainly you can make a case for posters or other
      contests used as a unit for design - working as a designer would
      work...with parameters and the needs of the client in mind, etc.!!

      I keep a bulletin board of all the opportunities that come in and
      students are encouraged to check into ones that they really want to
      pursue.

      Some great ones that are REALLY supportive of arts education
      are "Wonderful Colorful World" by Sakura (manufacturers of Cray-Pas- I
      won't use any other, gelly roll pens, etc) http://www.gellyroll.com/

      and the painting contest sponsored by Royal Brush
      http://www.royalbrush.com/dcat/index.php

      although not a contest, one of the highest caliber venues to recognize
      middle and high school student work is Scholastic...check and see if
      your area has a regional sponsor which is easier than entering through
      a region-at-large
      http://www.scholastic.com/artandwritingawards/index.htm

      creatively, Linda in Oregon