8983What would a kid do with gummed Art Tape?

    Mar 1, 2006
      Greetings Art Educators,

      This is in reply to the member asking for ideas for Art Tape (that
      colored wet and stick tape). I thought it would be fun to find out
      what KIDS discover to do with the tape -- So...... I asked the TAB
      Choice list. I can see the kiddies using it for all sorts of paper
      sculpture projects. Below is one reply I got from a teacher who adds
      it to her sculpture/assemblage centers.

      Bonnie wrote:

      My students use the colored gum tape when they make their sculptures
      and their box puppets. It's a quick and easy way to "transform" a
      macaroni box into a house, a clown, etc. I do not allow them to lick
      it though ~ they get a bowl of water and a sponge. I've found that if
      they don't really press down on the tape to get it to stick... when it
      dries it has the tendency to curl and peel off.

      I used it for paper mask making projects - and "gasp" I used it for
      paper totem poles (I would rethink that lesson now). I used it for a
      number of other paper/collage lessons. I would cut off pieces of the
      tape and put it in supply boxes at the tables (those cardboard
      American cheese boxes from the cafeteria worked great).