      From: Mary Kate [mailto:mkmckinley@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 9:04 AM
      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [art_education] What is your opinion?

      I look at the voucher plan as finally being able to use the taxes I've
      been paying for years! Here in Delaware, private & parochial schools
      get a minimum of support from the government. That translates to no bus
      transportation, no school counsellors, and a school nurse only three
      days a week. The parents pay ungodly prices for the bus, no subsidized
      milk or lunches (parents must pay for it all) & the school has to pay
      for the counsellor & nurse - raising tuition. I feel that the vouchers
      will give more students a chance to attend their preferred school &
      help alleviate the sacrifice others are making. That's right, I said
      sacrifice. Many have-nots scrape together what little they have to send
      their children to the school of their choice! This will also help with
      the overcrowding in the public schools & make teaching rather than
      discipline more of a priority. As for new schools popping up...if there
      are students to fill them then they were needed. We have so many
      choices today, why can't that also apply to our children's education!
      Rather than vouchers, I'd like to see all schools receive the same state
      & federal funding. If the schools are producing well-rounded,
      well-adjusted, well-educated young citizens who cares what religion or
      philosophy is sponsoring the school! Notice the huge trend towards
      home-schooling! This sends a message to all schools. "I can't afford
      the school of my choice & I prefer not to send my child to the local
      public school". Something is not right when people elect to do it
      themselves. Think of what's lost in the socialization of these
      home-schooled students. We need all schools to be able to offer smaller
      class sizes to meet the needs of the individual child at an affordable
      price. I don't know if the voucher plan will help this, but giving
      people a choice certainly can't hurt!

      At 8/2/2001 09:38 PM Thursday, you wrote:

      Dear fellow art educators,

      My question today concerns the debate over school
      voucher plans.

      What are voucher plans? Just as a refresher, voucher
      plans involve giving parents cash certificates,
      vouchers, or tax credits from public funds to pay to
      send their children to schools of their
      choice--private or public.

      The debate over school vouchers has resurfaced with
      the election of President George W. Bush in an effort
      to improve our educational system. Supporters
      maintain vouchers will strengthen the education system
      of the United states while those opposed contend that
      the vouchers will destroy the system and disrupt the
      social fabric of the nation.

      I tend to see both sides of the issue. Vouchers have
      the potential of reinforcing effective schools while
      encouraging change in those schools that are not as
      effective. On the other hand, school vouchers also
      have the potential of creating a divide between the
      haves and the have nots which would appear to go
      against the main goal of education: to educate the
      citizenry in order to live productively in a
      democratic society.

      I have participated in debates over this issue with my
      fellow grad school classmates this summer at the
      University of Nebraska at Omaha, and it appears most
      of us tend to be opposed to voucher plans because of
      the possible inequalities they could create.

      I'm very interested in what teachers across the
      country have to say about this issue. Are you for or
      against voucher plans and why? How do you think
      voucher plans would effect music, drama, and art
      programs in the public schools? Is there another
      alternative you feel that our government should
      consider that would strengthen the education of our
      nation?

      --DeAnn Hanisch

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=195705.1453857.3031277.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
      019151:HM/A=675976/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N1977.yahoo.com/B3989
      8.3;sz=468x60;ord=997189219?> www.nissandriven.com
      www.nissandriven.com

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=195705.1453857.3031277.1261774/D=egrou
      pmail/S=1705019151:HM/A=675976/rand=220003413>

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic