Journal articles: As behaviour GW soil crops; As contam irrig water soil crops BGD risk implications

  • Alex Heikens
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 5:43 PM
      Dear colleagues,

      I'd like to share with you two recent publications on the risks of
      irrigation with arsenic contaminated groundwater resources to food
      safety and sustainable agriculture:

      Heikens A, Panaullah PM, Meharg AA (2007) Review of arsenic
      behaviour from groundwater and soil to crops and potential impacts
      on agriculture and food safety. Reviews of Environmental
      Contamination and Toxicology 189: 43-87

      Heikens, A. (2006) Arsenic contamination of irrigation water, soil
      and crops in Bangladesh: risk implications for sustainable
      agriculture and food safety in Asia. FAO-RAP Publication 2006/20
      http://www.fao.org/docrep/009/ag105e/ag105e00.htm

      I hope you will find these publications useful and informative, and
      that these will strengthen efforts of many to get the issue of
      arsenic contaminated irrigation water higher up the agenda of
      stakeholders including development partners and governments.

      As you will note, the FAO report is largely based on the review
      paper, but somewhat simplified to make it more accessible to a wider
      audience. If you would like to receive hardcopies of the FAO
      publication or electronic copies of the review paper, please contact
      me.

      Best regards,

      Alex Heikens (heikensalex @ yahoo.com)