Portable arsenic analyzers - USEPA ETV reports online

  • Rick Johnston
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2002
      Dear colleagues:

      As part of its ongoing Environmental Technology Verification (ETV)
      program, the USEPA has recently conducted rigorous reviews of four portable
      arsenic analyzers:

      1) Peters Engineering PeCo 75 and As 75
      (same thing, one with electronic color measurer, one visual)

      2) Envitop Ltd. As-Top Water arsenic test kit

      3) Industrial Test Systems, Inc., QuickT test kit arsenic analysis
      systems

      4) NANO-BAND EXPLORER Portable Water Analyzer

      The first three are based on arsine generation, while the fourth uses
      anodic stripping voltammetry.

      The USEPA ETV reports for these devices are online at

      1) http://www.epa.gov/etv/pdfs/vrvs/01_vr_AS_75.pdf
      2) http://www.epa.gov/etv/pdfs/vrvs/01_vr_AsTopHE_AAA.pdf
      3) http://www.epa.gov/etv/pdfs/vrvs/01_vr_quick.pdf
      4) http://www.epa.gov/etv/pdfs/vrvs/01_vr_nano-band.pdf

      [The referring page address is http://www.epa.gov/etv/verifications/vcenter1-21.htm - Moderator]

      Of the four, the AS 75 and the Quick test got the best results. I know
      the AS 75 and its close cousin the Arsenator 510, which have been used in South
      Asia.

      The Quick test, on the other hand, was new to me. Various versions of the kit are available, all for under US$200. The manufacturer's web site is:

      http://www.acustrip.com/specs/specs481396.html

      I would be interested to hear if any arsenic-crisis subscribers have had
      experience with one or more of these kits. It's a pity USEPA wasn't
      able to evaluate the Merck or Hach kits, but those manufacturers chose
      not to submit their kits to USEPA.

      Best regards -

      Rick Johnston
      Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
      University of North Carolina
      Chapel Hill, NC, USA