Reply to: Anyone tried Soni Modified Process?

  • fakhrul islam
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2013
      May I report to you all about one of my findings about arsenic removal from ground water?

      I found that ordinary waste concrete chips can remove arsenic from water. A filter made from 10-20 kg of the chips can produce at least 10 litres/day of arsenic free water for at least one month using flow rates of  around 30 ml/minute.

      This inexpensive method can be used by any body procuring simple tubes and plastic buckets of proper size. Advantage is that the waste material produced will hardly exceed the arsenic level present in the ordinary soil.

      This home made can be used  by any body where the concrete is available, virtually every where.

      Method principle is based on the finding that concrete can bind arsenic compounds to some extent. This information was supported by findings by Indian scientists that cement plasters can remove arsenic. Thanks to all.

      Prof. M. Fakhrul Islam

      mfislam

    • fakhrul islam
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2013
        I posted my experience as I thought it might help some body looking for inexpensive way to remove As for home made filters.

        The crushed concrete chips of 0.2mm chips may offer some environmental pollution but to what extent I do not know.

        Bangladesh soil I found contains on average near 3 ppm As. The concrete chips will be saturated after passing near 300-400 ml of water at the rate I indicated.

        After saturation the As level in 20 kg chips will be increased by about 2 ppm if it originally contained As.

        As Dr Bowden points out some arsenic from the chips may be leached like the other arsenic laden wastes from other highly expensive filters.

        If anybody feels he is in need of some less expensive material for his personal need he may try the information.

        The high cost filters running months together surely will produce very contaminated poison for the environment and I will think twice before I buy it from the consideration of pollution and disposal cost associated with it.

        The most important thing is that very few will be interested or take the trouble of making home home made device for use.

        Thanks to all

        Prof M.Fakhrul Islam