Reply to: Anyone tried Soni Modified Process?

  • Vasant Soni
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2013
      Dear Dr. Meer Husain and all fellow researchers

      I fully agree with you on both your concerns.
      (1) I am developing simple filter based on coating sand or coarse with Ferric�Hydroxide using lime and Ferrous Sulphate and Lime.
      (2) For safe dispoosal the Arsenic contaminated sand so obtained
      can be used for making building bricks to immobilise Arsenic.

      I shall soon write to all of you with more details.

      Thanks and regards

      Vasant Soni ( Mumbai, India)
    • Meer Husain
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2013
        Dear Dr. Vasant Soni,

        There are many different types of iron/activated alumina/activated carbon/iron coated sand based filters are available in the market. However, research should be continued for developing better filters than the existing filters. I encourage you to continue your research because arsenic problem is a serious problem and people need an affordable, environmentally friendly and sustainable arsenic removal systems for drinking, cooking and lawn and gardening purposes.

        Regarding arsenic waste disposal, I think the waste and spent materials should be mixed with good quality of cement and then the cement slurry can be safely disposed of into a heavy concrete vault.I think this method is simple, cost effective and safer than manufacturing bricks. Using Bricks might cause serious problems due to natural weathering and transportation processes in the environment. The waste disposal is not really inexpensive anywhere in the world.

        Please keep in mind the toxicological,geological, hydrogeological, biological, climatological,environmental and medical conditions regarding the safe disposal of toxic arsenic waste. Improper disposal will create air pollution, contamination of soil and sediments, surface and ground water resources, aquatic resources, poultry products and agricultural products and thus it will contaminate the entire public health, ecosystem and environment.

        With best regards,

        Meer Husain
      • fakhrul islam
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2013
          May I report to you all about one of my findings about arsenic removal from ground water?

          I found that ordinary waste concrete chips can remove arsenic from water. A filter made from 10-20 kg of the chips can produce at least 10 litres/day of arsenic free water for at least one month using flow rates of  around 30 ml/minute.

          This inexpensive method can be used by any body procuring simple tubes and plastic buckets of proper size. Advantage is that the waste material produced will hardly exceed the arsenic level present in the ordinary soil.

          This home made can be used  by any body where the concrete is available, virtually every where.

          Method principle is based on the finding that concrete can bind arsenic compounds to some extent. This information was supported by findings by Indian scientists that cement plasters can remove arsenic. Thanks to all.

          Prof. M. Fakhrul Islam

          mfislam

        • fakhrul islam
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2013
            I posted my experience as I thought it might help some body looking for inexpensive way to remove As for home made filters.

            The crushed concrete chips of 0.2mm chips may offer some environmental pollution but to what extent I do not know.

            Bangladesh soil I found contains on average near 3 ppm As. The concrete chips will be saturated after passing near 300-400 ml of water at the rate I indicated.

            After saturation the As level in 20 kg chips will be increased by about 2 ppm if it originally contained As.

            As Dr Bowden points out some arsenic from the chips may be leached like the other arsenic laden wastes from other highly expensive filters.

            If anybody feels he is in need of some less expensive material for his personal need he may try the information.

            The high cost filters running months together surely will produce very contaminated poison for the environment and I will think twice before I buy it from the consideration of pollution and disposal cost associated with it.

            The most important thing is that very few will be interested or take the trouble of making home home made device for use.

            Thanks to all

            Prof M.Fakhrul Islam