Comment on: Journal article, Hydrogeochem contrast brown grey sand aquifers shallow depth Bengal Basin Consequences sustainable drinking water supply

  • Vasant Soni
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
      Dear Dr. Bibash Nath and all others

      You have mentioned about higher than permissible Manganese content  in Arsenic affected water. I suggest to try out some experiments on few such water samples by exposing such water in shallow containers exposed to air for long time, say 10-20 hours. For example 10 liters of water for individual household can be kept in plastic tub of say 1-1.5 feet diameter and Manganese should get oxidized to higher valance state and precipitate and settle. This reaction is slow and more the area for oxygen dissolution from air better it is. Of course pH of water should not be less than 7 and somewhat higher is still better. Please try it and report the findings to all.

      Vasant Soni
    • Bibhash Nath
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
        Dear Dr. Vasant Soni,

        Thank you very much for your suggestion. I am currently staying is Australia so access to the field site is quite limited. I visit only once a year. perhaps I should encourage my local colleague to do this experiment. Additionally local NGOs may take this step forward.

        Regards,
        Bibhash
      • Prof. Prosun Bhattacharya
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
          Dear Vasant,

          Thanks for your mail. As Bibhas stated-- this is an interesting suggestion that would have excellent implications on access to safe drinking water supplies following in-situ treatment at household level for minimizing the Mn hazards from drinking water. An excellent point for the mineral balance monograph as well. [...]

          Best regards

          Prosun