Rahman’s midnight melody

  • Gopal Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 25 7:30 PM
      Rahman’s midnight melody

      The composer worked overnight to record a special song; he performed it live, much to Mani Ratnam’s delight

      By Mauli Singh
      Posted On Monday, April 26, 2010 at 04:28:58 AM

      At the recent music release of Raavan, everybody was taken in by a soulful rendition of a song, Jaa re udd jaa re, by AR Rahman.

      Penned by fellow Oscar winner Gulzar, most of the audience present for the music release of Raavan assumed it was part of the CD given out that evening - but it wasn’t. Even Mani Ratnam wasn’t aware that Rahman would be singing the song.

      Gulzar with Rahman at the music release of Raavan  (Pic: Nilesh wairkar)

      A source from the unit reveals, “The song that Rahman performed live was an absolutely last minute inclusion. Rahman and Mani share a special bond that goes beyond their professional association. Rahman has given music for all of Mani’s films and even sung in a couple like Dil Se and Guru. Mani was very keen to have Rahman sing in Raavan.” Which he did, eventually.

      But the song itself hadn’t been set to music. So Rahman burnt the midnight oil to give Mani a musical surprise. The night before the launch, Rahman closeted himself in his Mumbai studio and worked through the night to compose the song. In the wee hours, he recorded it in his voice.

      The source adds that the final CD of the track did not contain the song, and the entire team of Raavan, including director Mani Ratnam, heard it for the first time at the launch. The song may be included at a later stage.
    • wiredbeats
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25 8:29 PM
        WHoa!, this is great news!!! I just hope he does a formal version of this track. This means, its not even in the movie! I

        Remixes I Originals I Opinions at  http://www.wiredbeats.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25 9:00 PM
          "Even Mani Ratnam wasn't aware that Rahman would be singing the song" - WOW!

          "The song may be included at a later stage" - We really hope so!!

        • ksid01@yahoo.co.in
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 25 9:12 PM
            Wow Gops,

            Thanks for the insight.Yes the song sure is magical. Thats what you mean when you call a person a stalwart . Creating something like that over night signifies what a magical musician he is.

            Genius is the word .

            Thanks and regards
            Sid.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 25 11:55 PM
                Wow! What a pleasant surprise that would be to the entire unit! It's a bold attempt to perform live next day! simply awesome...Would love to have it in the cd...

                --
                Cheers,
                Madhavan.R
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26 2:33 AM
                  i have heard somewhere that a son would do anything for his mother...i think its right, listening to what rahman does for mani ratnam....

                  com'on now all those people wanting 90's rahman... just raise your listening skills a bit to taste the purity that this man's music will ever have......

                  regards,
                  harshavardhan

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26 3:17 AM

                     Absolutely Great !!!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 26 5:05 AM
                        Interesting sidelights. feels nice to know such inside details.

                        It says "Rahman closeted himself in his Mumbai studio"

                        I wasn't aware that he has a studio at Mumbai or do they mean he hired
                        some studio to compose this song?

                        --
                        Rawat

                        On 4/26/2010 8:00 AM India Time, _Gopal Srinivasan_ wrote:

                        > Rahman’s midnight melody
                        >
                        > The composer worked overnight to record a special song; he performed it
                        > live, much to Mani Ratnam’s delight
                        >
                        > *By Mauli Singh*
                        > *Posted On Monday, April 26, 2010 at 04:28:58 AM*
                        >
                        > At the recent music release of Raavan, everybody was taken in by a
                        > soulful rendition of a song, Jaa re udd jaa re, by AR Rahman.
                        >

                        > Penned by fellow Oscar winner Gulzar, most of the audience present for
                        > the music release of Raavan assumed it was part of the CD given out that
                        > evening - but it wasn’t. Even Mani Ratnam wasn’t aware that Rahman would
                        > be singing the song.
                        >
                        > Gulzar with Rahman at the music release of Raavan (Pic: /Nilesh wairkar/)
                        >

                        > A source from the unit reveals, “The song that Rahman performed live was
                        > an absolutely last minute inclusion. Rahman and Mani share a special
                        > bond that goes beyond their professional association. Rahman has given
                        > music for all of Mani’s films and even sung in a couple like Dil Se and
                        > Guru. Mani was very keen to have Rahman sing in Raavan.” Which he did,
                        > eventually.
                        >
                        > But the song itself hadn’t been set to music. So Rahman burnt the
                        > midnight oil to give Mani a musical surprise. The night before the
                        > launch, Rahman closeted himself in his Mumbai studio and worked through
                        > the night to compose the song. In the wee hours, he recorded it in his
                        > voice.
                        >
                        > The source adds that the final CD of the track did not contain the song,
                        > and the entire team of Raavan, including director Mani Ratnam, heard it
                        > for the first time at the launch. The song may be included at a later
                        > stage.

                      • Ganpy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 26 8:32 AM
                          Good to know such scoops..

                          If it is indeed true that even Maniratnam didn't know about it, hopefully this will put all those dubious speculations to rest...All those conspiracy theorists who like to weave stories around why there is always one song that doesn't make it to the first release, etc. may have to look for newer stories now.

                          And AR mentioned during the audio launch that most of the work was done in the last one month..(and he added "as usual" with a chuckle)..So that leaves very little room for imagination on how T-Series, AR and Mani could have collaborated on this master plan to leave out this one song (which they already knew would be the pick of the 7) from the first release...

                          Hmmm..Reading these contorted versions of what everyone thinks about this, makes me add.. "as usual", with a chuckle of course!!

                          --- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan <catchgops@...> wrote:

                          > Rahman's midnight melody
                          >
                          > The composer worked overnight to record a special song; he performed it
                          > live, much to Mani Ratnam's delight
                          >
                          > *By Mauli Singh*
                          > *Posted On Monday, April 26, 2010 at 04:28:58 AM*
                          >
                          > At the recent music release of Raavan, everybody was taken in by a soulful
                          > rendition of a song, Jaa re udd jaa re, by AR Rahman.
                          >

                          > Penned by fellow Oscar winner Gulzar, most of the audience present for the
                          > music release of Raavan assumed it was part of the CD given out that evening
                          > - but it wasn't. Even Mani Ratnam wasn't aware that Rahman would be singing
                          > the song.
                          >
                          > Gulzar with Rahman at the music release of Raavan (Pic: *Nilesh wairkar*)
                          >
                          > A source from the unit reveals, "The song that Rahman performed live was an
                          > absolutely last minute inclusion. Rahman and Mani share a special bond that
                          > goes beyond their professional association. Rahman has given music for all
                          > of Mani's films and even sung in a couple like Dil Se and Guru. Mani was
                          > very keen to have Rahman sing in Raavan." Which he did, eventually.
                          >
                          > But the song itself hadn't been set to music. So Rahman burnt the midnight
                          > oil to give Mani a musical surprise. The night before the launch, Rahman
                          > closeted himself in his Mumbai studio and worked through the night to
                          > compose the song. In the wee hours, he recorded it in his voice.
                          >
                          > The source adds that the final CD of the track did not contain the song, and
                          > the entire team of Raavan, including director Mani Ratnam, heard it for the
                          > first time at the launch. The song may be included at a later stage.

                        • theepr
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 26 11:42 AM
                            SO it is another Vande madaram if we call in another word....cos Bharat bala revealed in a interview that "Magic" of Vande mataram happened in his Studio Around 2am while every one of Panchathaan has almost left and ARR surprisingly started to create his magic so that Bala him self has to put fingers on ARR's Mixer boards to record....

                            I felt the same "magic" happened in this Raavan Audio tooo.....and im sooo happy......its happening....thank almighty

                            Long live Magician!!!

                            thx gopal

                            ~®theep~

                            --- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Srinivasan <catchgops@...> wrote:

                            > Rahman�s midnight melody
                            >
                            > The composer worked overnight to record a special song; he performed it
                            > live, much to Mani Ratnam�s delight
                            >
                            > *By Mauli Singh*
                            > *Posted On Monday, April 26, 2010 at 04:28:58 AM*
                            >
                            > At the recent music release of Raavan, everybody was taken in by a soulful
                            > rendition of a song, Jaa re udd jaa re, by AR Rahman.
                            >

                            > Penned by fellow Oscar winner Gulzar, most of the audience present for the
                            > music release of Raavan assumed it was part of the CD given out that evening
                            > - but it wasn�t. Even Mani Ratnam wasn�t aware that Rahman would be singing
                            > the song.
                            >
                            > Gulzar with Rahman at the music release of Raavan (Pic: *Nilesh wairkar*)
                            >
                            > A source from the unit reveals, �The song that Rahman performed live was an
                            > absolutely last minute inclusion. Rahman and Mani share a special bond that
                            > goes beyond their professional association. Rahman has given music for all
                            > of Mani�s films and even sung in a couple like Dil Se and Guru. Mani was
                            > very keen to have Rahman sing in Raavan.� Which he did, eventually.
                            >
                            > But the song itself hadn�t been set to music. So Rahman burnt the midnight
                            > oil to give Mani a musical surprise. The night before the launch, Rahman
                            > closeted himself in his Mumbai studio and worked through the night to
                            > compose the song. In the wee hours, he recorded it in his voice.
                            >
                            > The source adds that the final CD of the track did not contain the song, and
                            > the entire team of Raavan, including director Mani Ratnam, heard it for the
                            > first time at the launch. The song may be included at a later stage.

                          • ::::::: rahmanian rajkumar :::::::
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 26 11:11 PM
                              ll it be included in tamil ??!!!

                              00 91 99941 88566