Heater Dilemma

  • supershawnofri@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 1999
      There have been many suggestions on the location of the heater in an arowana tank. According to what I have read, the worst place for a heater is under (or in) the gravel. This may cause the heater to burst. I do not know how true is this as I have not tried burying it in the gravel. I have some suggestions for placing a heater where the fish cannot get at it.

      1. Put the heater in a section of pipe which has a diameter large enough to accomodate the heater. Holes should be drilled in the wall of the pipe to ensure water circulation. If the circulation is inadequate, direct the end of the filter outlet through the pipe. This can be done by using a rubber tube to channel the water through the pipe.

      2. Fix the heater in a corner of the aquarium. That corner should be blocked with a plastic mesh- the type used to partition breeding tanks.
      * This method is more for larger rectangular tanks.

      3. Use an over-flow filtration system, installing the heater in the filter compartment.

      I hope the above methods prove useful to anyone having to deal with smashed heaters. A word of caution though: I haven't tested this methods yet so please be careful when trying them out!
      Happy New Year!
    • JACKHANSEN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 1999
        another way to get around the heater problem is to buy a heater module ..it
        fits under the tank and the fish is nowhere neer the heater ...I belive
        lifeguard makes a good heater module .......
      • Steven Trinh
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 1999
          I've tried one of the methods, and i have a new one for those of you who
          want to make sure your arowana doesn't bust the heater, although mine
          hasn't, i just don't like seeing the heater in the water. The method
          that i have tried is the method of putting in the wet and dry filtering
          tank. I do not suggest you use this method, for water comes in and goes
          out too quick, which takes too long to heat the tank. At least for my
          tank, my tank is a 270 gallon, and i have 2 overflows and 2 pumps, maybe
          this would work real well if you had a smaller tank. But i am not sure,
          but i do not suggest you do this is you have a tank and wet and dry
          filtering system like mine.
          The method that i use to make sure the arowana can't get to it is to put
          it in the overflow instead of the filter itself, this seems to work
          better than it the actual filter itself, because it traps the heat that
          the heater gives, warming up the water faster. try it and tell me what
          you people think

          steven

          arowana-owner@onelist.com