gill-curl

  • Eduardo Co Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 1998
      hi everyone,

      my golden aro got the gill-curl. anybody have any ideas? pls. help me
      find a cure. thanx.

      -jun
    • Edwin Lee
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 1998
        > my golden aro got the gill-curl. anybody have any ideas? pls. help me
        > find a cure. thanx.

        Try this:

        Place some zeolite into the filter. This apparently removes some ammonia
        and nitrate.

        I was sceptical at first when someone recommended me this... but turned out
        that it works!

        Zeolite can be purchased from most LFS. It's normally grey (whitish) and
        looks like cat litter.

        This treatment is only effective for gill curls that are not severe. If
        you try the above treatment and it still doesn't help, you've got to
        operate and cut the gills. But this is a very delicate operation and
        usually done as a last resort.
      • Albert_Justin_NATHAN@xxx.xxx.xx
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 1998
          Hi Jun,

          You can follow this:

          1. Change water regularly, say, every 2-3 days (to remove excessive ammonia
          content).
          2. Do not feed too much fatty food ex. lean meat, goldfish

          You 've to be patient in this matter. It may take some weeks to see some
          positive
          sign.

          If curl is very prominent, then its quite bad. May 've to perform a surgery to
          cut off the curl.

          Justin

          visions@... on 01/12/98 05:22:34 PM
          Please respond to arowana@onelist.com @ SMTP
          To: arowana@onelist.com @ SMTP
          cc:
          Subject: [arowana] gill-curl

          From: "Eduardo Co Jr." <visions@...>

          hi everyone,

          my golden aro got the gill-curl. anybody have any ideas? pls. help me
          find a cure. thanx.

          -jun

        • BobaFatt
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 1998
            Try flrtering your water with zeolite & of course change your water &
            maintain good water quality. Only when zeolite doesn't work , esp after the
            gill curl has set in , then will we need to operate on the Aro

            ----------
            > From: Eduardo Co Jr. <visions@...>
            > To: arowana-owner <arowana@onelist.com>
            > Subject: [arowana] gill-curl
            > Date: Tuesday, December 01, 1998 5:30 PM
            >
            > From: "Eduardo Co Jr." <visions@...>
            >
            > hi everyone,
            >
            > my golden aro got the gill-curl. anybody have any ideas? pls. help me
            > find a cure. thanx.
            >
            > -jun

          • Eduardo Co Jr.
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 1998
              hi edwin,

              what is zeolite? could u care to elaborate more? i asked from our local
              fish store, but they seem to not have it. where else can can i purchase
              one? is it sold in the drugstore, chemical companies, etc.?

              -jun

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 1998
                > what is zeolite? could u care to elaborate more? i asked from our local
                > fish store, but they seem to not have it. where else can can i purchase
                > one? is it sold in the drugstore, chemical companies, etc.?

                I don't think it's found in drug stores. It's not a chemical per se...
                I'll check out what the LFS in Singapore sell zeolite as.

                It's white in colour, and feels like small crushed stones.

                Let me see if I can find pics of scan one for you tonight.