[Army Security Agency Vets] Re: Attention to one and all.

  • Reginald (Reg) Nelson
    Message 1 of 85 , Mar 31, 2007
      Monterey Mary was a term used as a response to calling of 05H's
      Hawgs. Plus the fact that to be a lingie, one had to have more brain
      cells than the average Hawg. (Most living animals and even some
      plants are above the average Hawg!!) So the Hawgs were jealous of
      us Monterey Graduates and started questioning our sexual
      proclivities. Being secure in our Masculinity we let them feel
      better about themselves by knocking us and calling us Monterey Marys.

      Reg
      p.s. It is like many terms that we use to knock each other,
      Zoomies, Jarhead, Straight Legs, etc. 99% of the time, It is in fun
      and no one gets mad. It is the ones who don't understand and use the
      term as a demeaning tool that piss me off. Happened on here once
      with me and another.

      --- In armysecurityagencyvets@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Caleffie"
      <fcaleffie@...> wrote:

      > That reference is used because during the 70-80s most linguists
      > were odd to say the least..... they kept to themselves and were
      > thought of as a queer lot. Hence the name Mary. 99% were of
      course
      > not actually gay.... but the name stuck. They, for the most part,
      are
      > no longer referred to in that manner.....
      > It was all meant in good fun... I don't know of any that got
      > mad.... and I've called quite a few of them Monterry Mary's in my
      > day... still do refer to the one that's now a GG12 and works for me
      > as a Mary.........
      >
      > Fred
      >

      > --- In armysecurityagencyvets@yahoogroups.com, "bigputzie"
      > <edarva71@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Fred, y0ur post brings up a question I've had ever since I first
      > saw
      > > the Monterey Mary ref, on this site I guess, I had never heard
      that
      > > when I was in Monterey, and it puzzled me. So, of course Hap
      would
      > be
      > > the one to really explain the provenance, but, would someone else
      > > enlighten me? BP
      > >
      > > --- In armysecurityagencyvets@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Caleffie"
      > > <fcaleffie@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hell I'd probably have to beat them off in Monterrey Mary
      > land!!
      > > >
      > > > Fred
      > > >

      > > > --- In armysecurityagencyvets@yahoogroups.com, "Olen Ridling"

    • John Bacon
      Message 85 of 85 , Apr 2, 2007
        After the Army I became an ELECTRICAL/INSTRUMENTATION mechanic (A MAINTAINER IN A NUCLEAR PLANT) I saw both sides and understood how the maintainers got attached to the equipment.  After all it did not complain when being mistreated and gave instant gratification by working right when it was treated right.

        frank carnes <sarahaden51@...> wrote:
        kiss-ass.... ..frankc
        --- In armysecurityagencyv ets@yahoogroups. com, John Bacon <fatbac1k@.. .>
        wrote:

        > As an operator I always perfered the Maintainers that were pocessive
        of the equipment because it worked better with them arround.

        > frank carnes sarahaden51@ ... wrote: wah,wah wah...if u guys didnt have
        us to break up stuff,u wudda been out
        > of a job and ended up 11B...BTW... Osan had great street food..giant
        > deep-fried shrimp to die for etc.,.....but the hookers were
        over-priced
        > and snooty...darn zoomies....frankc
        > --- In armysecurityagencyv ets@yahoogroups. com, "Frank" frank_cwv@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Yep, we did prefer to have the equipment turned on to avoid mold and
        > > mildew, but "touching" always seemed to lead to problems.
        > >
        > > I remember getting a trouble call to the Aerial Port at Osan once on
        > > a KWM2A radio. The guy had set his coffee on top of the radio then
        > > knocked it over. Before calling it in, he carefully wiped down the
        > > top. I have no idea what was going thru his mind, if he thought that
        > > would fix it or what.
        > >
        > > We had another problem guy in the tower there, a relatively senior
        > > NCO. He discovered that the volume of his console speakers could be
        > > adjusted with a small screwdriver thru holes in the control panel.
        > > So he got himself one and had a habit on quiet midshifts of turning
        > > those suckers down. Day shift would come in and log out a half dozen
        > > radios, and some poor sucker from our shop would have to climb the
        > > damn tower to undo his work. That was pretty much the only time
        > > anybody had to go up in the cab, all the stuff that was prone to
        > > breaking, radios and tape recorder, were at ground level.
        > >
        > > Of course, once I got to USAFSS, I realized that ditty-bops were a
        > > much higher class of people. I did hear stories of ops running the
        R-
        > > 390 main tuning knob hard into the end stop to break it so they
        could
        > > log out their position. But those were voice intercept I'm sure.
        > > And I heard enough stories of Morse guys going nuts and launching
        > > their typewriters that I was scared to f with 'em. Much.
        > >
        > > Then there was the rumor about a couple of guys at Wakkanai that
        went
        > > onboard a Russian trawler to practice their language skills ...
        > >
        > > FrankH
        > >

        > > --- In armysecurityagencyv ets@yahoogroups. com, "Fred Caleffie"
        > > fcaleffie@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Yes...... I can remember quite a few elec maint types that would
        > > > rather not have operators touch the equip....... lol
        > > >
        > > > Fred
        > > >

        > > > --- In armysecurityagencyv ets@yahoogroups. com, "Frank"

        > > as
        > > > an