Re: Class numbers

  • smbump
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2009
      Here's what I remember - class numbers were numbered consecutively each
      fiscal year. Until 1976 the federal FY started 01 July. I graduated
      just prior to Thanksgiving of 1971, but my class was 5-72. So it was
      the fifth class of FY 1972, which began 01 July and we started Ranger
      School at the end of September 1971....but that was in FY72. Prior to
      1976 your classes would have been numbered starting 01 July; after that
      they are now numbered starting 01 October. That means there were more
      classes in 1976 since that year was 15 months long.

      --- In armyrangers@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <al_2ndwolfhounds@...> wrote:

      > David,
      >
      > I have a copy of my Ranger Training Evaluation Report and my orders
      awarding the Ranger Tab. My class was definitely 10-68 with a graduation
      date of 18 April 1968.

      > You may misremember your class number. I finished the course almost 9
      months before you started. Your class would definitely be x-69.

      > Al Pare
      >
      > --- In armyrangers@yahoogroups.com, "davidaveryvmi68" david.l.avery@
      wrote:

      > > I've always been a bit confused by class numbers for Ranger School
      classes. I've read that in theory they start with 1-yy at the start of
      the federal fiscal year. But I've met rangers that I have no doubt were
      not wannabees that report class numbers that don't seem quite to match
      that pattern. My own class was 8-68 I'm pretty sure, not from any
      official printed record, but from remembering the class had sort of a
      motto of "Hawk Bait", adopted in part because it rhymed with "eight".
      The class started in early November of 1968 and graduated in the latter
      part of January 1969. I'm pretty sure of those approximate dates
      because we had a Thanksgiving dinner on a hilltop at Harmony Church
      during the Benning phase. The RI's had us assault a hill to find a
      field kitchen on top with buffet tables, cooks wearing starched aprons,
      turkey and all the trimmings. Ten minutes to eat. We got a short
      Christmas furlough, followed by the Florida phase in early January 1969.

      > > If you check out the official ranger school archive of class photos
      at https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/photo.htm#68 you'll find some of
      the photos have class dates written on the photos. 1-66 has a photo
      dated Jul 8, 1965 - Sep 9, 1965 which would be consistent with numbering
      starting with a Jul 1 fiscal year. The federal fiscal year was Jul 1 -
      Jun 30 until 1977 when it became Oct 1 - Sep 30. 10-65 has a photo
      dated May 12, 1965 - Jul 15, 1965. So if the yy is the fiscal year,
      maybe my class number "really " was 8-69 and I only mis-remember it as
      8-68 since the class started in '68. Unfortunately the photos are no
      help for my own class they did not take class photos in most of 1968-69,
      though there is a photo of 2-70 graduating on Sep 16, 1969.

    • charles fenwick
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2009
        I remember November of '72 as being a cold winter where I was. How was it
        in the swamps? Frostbite 5 and barely alive? Thanks for the history...

        charlie A75

        On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 8:09 AM, smbump <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Here's what I remember - class numbers were numbered consecutively each
        > fiscal year. Until 1976 the federal FY started 01 July. I graduated
        > just prior to Thanksgiving of 1971, but my class was 5-72. So it was
        > the fifth class of FY 1972, which began 01 July and we started Ranger
        > School at the end of September 1971....but that was in FY72. Prior to
        > 1976 your classes would have been numbered starting 01 July; after that
        > they are now numbered starting 01 October. That means there were more
        > classes in 1976 since that year was 15 months long.
        >

        > --- In armyrangers@yahoogroups.com <armyrangers%40yahoogroups.com>, "Al"
        > <al_2ndwolfhounds@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > David,
        > >
        > > I have a copy of my Ranger Training Evaluation Report and my orders
        > awarding the Ranger Tab. My class was definitely 10-68 with a graduation
        > date of 18 April 1968.
        > >
        > > You may misremember your class number. I finished the course almost 9
        > months before you started. Your class would definitely be x-69.
        > >
        > > Al Pare
        > >
        > > --- In armyrangers@yahoogroups.com <armyrangers%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "davidaveryvmi68" david.l.avery@
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've always been a bit confused by class numbers for Ranger School
        > classes. I've read that in theory they start with 1-yy at the start of
        > the federal fiscal year. But I've met rangers that I have no doubt were
        > not wannabees that report class numbers that don't seem quite to match
        > that pattern. My own class was 8-68 I'm pretty sure, not from any
        > official printed record, but from remembering the class had sort of a
        > motto of "Hawk Bait", adopted in part because it rhymed with "eight".
        > The class started in early November of 1968 and graduated in the latter
        > part of January 1969. I'm pretty sure of those approximate dates
        > because we had a Thanksgiving dinner on a hilltop at Harmony Church
        > during the Benning phase. The RI's had us assault a hill to find a
        > field kitchen on top with buffet tables, cooks wearing starched aprons,
        > turkey and all the trimmings. Ten minutes to eat. We got a short
        > Christmas furlough, followed by the Florida phase in early January 1969.
        > > >
        > > > If you check out the official ranger school archive of class photos
        > at https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/photo.htm#68 you'll find some of
        > the photos have class dates written on the photos. 1-66 has a photo
        > dated Jul 8, 1965 - Sep 9, 1965 which would be consistent with numbering
        > starting with a Jul 1 fiscal year. The federal fiscal year was Jul 1 -
        > Jun 30 until 1977 when it became Oct 1 - Sep 30. 10-65 has a photo
        > dated May 12, 1965 - Jul 15, 1965. So if the yy is the fiscal year,
        > maybe my class number "really " was 8-69 and I only mis-remember it as
        > 8-68 since the class started in '68. Unfortunately the photos are no
        > help for my own class they did not take class photos in most of 1968-69,
        > though there is a photo of 2-70 graduating on Sep 16, 1969.

      • Tom Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2009
          5-70 in the swamps was the coldest I've ever been, and I'd just come from 4
          years in Wisconsin. The assholes in 4-70 said that Florida was warm, and
          not to bring our wimp gear. BULLSHIT! The first night out in the swamp it
          was 17 degrees and we had to break ice to make our way through. To make
          matters worse, the limp-dick RIs cut us back to one ration a day (even
          though we were charged for three).

          I looked at our graduation picture and it gave me the impression of an
          Auschwitz class reunion.

          Smith
          5-70

          p.s. If you look up the picture I'm the one with the sunken eyes, dressed in
          ratty fatigues ...

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
            It was very cold, especially with only one c-rat per day. We screwed up our first resupply too (on Day 3, just before Whitmire to Basin), so missed a days chow but the next PL did better with the subsequent link-up. I recall one night when three of us wrapped up together and still about froze while laying in an ambush position, our pants legs iced up as we had waded a little to get there. Wonder if anyone followed through on the idea to sew their tabs on with white thread signifying a winter class?

            My tacs were from FL, and CPT Christensen was killed shortly after we graduated during another class when he picked up a wire for a jeep to pull through, and it was live. He was a great guy, and I recall his father was a herpatologist somewhere in Florida, so he was very good with snakes. Seems like he'd been in Lima Co in VN.

            --- In armyrangers@yahoogroups.com, charles fenwick <fenwickct@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > turkey and all the trimmings. Ten minutes to eat. We got a short
            > > Christmas furlough, followed by the Florida phase in early January 1969.

            > > at https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/photo.htm#68 you'll find some of
            > > the photos have class dates written on the photos. 1-66 has a photo
            > > dated Jul 8, 1965 - Sep 9, 1965 which would be consistent with numbering
            > > starting with a Jul 1 fiscal year. The federal fiscal year was Jul 1 -
            > > Jun 30 until 1977 when it became Oct 1 - Sep 30. 10-65 has a photo
            > > dated May 12, 1965 - Jul 15, 1965. So if the yy is the fiscal year,
            > > maybe my class number "really " was 8-69 and I only mis-remember it as
            > > 8-68 since the class started in '68. Unfortunately the photos are no
            > > help for my own class they did not take class photos in most of 1968-69,
            > > though there is a photo of 2-70 graduating on Sep 16, 1969.

          • Jim Fowler
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2009
              My Ranger Class was 4-69 - Graduated Holloween Day 68 in Florida (They later moved Ranger Graduation to Benning)  - We all carried M-14's - no class photo - I was also promoted to SSG at graduation - We were told there was less than 200 Ranger qualified enlisted in the Army at that time - TAC I remember was  "RV" Ranger Voyles (later 2d Ranger Bn CSM and a orginial PSG in 1st Ranger Bn when activated with KC Leuer)
              CSM (Ret) Jim Fowler
              RLTW
> [...]

              > > turkey and all the trimmings. Ten minutes to eat. We got a short
              > > Christmas furlough, followed by the Florida phase in early January 1969.

              > > at https://www. benning.army. mil/rtb/photo. htm#68 you'll find some of
              > > the photos have class dates written on the photos. 1-66 has a photo
              > > dated Jul 8, 1965 - Sep 9, 1965 which would be consistent with numbering
              > > starting with a Jul 1 fiscal year. The federal fiscal year was Jul 1 -
              > > Jun 30 until 1977 when it became Oct 1 - Sep 30. 10-65 has a photo
              > > dated May 12, 1965 - Jul 15, 1965. So if the yy is the fiscal year,
              > > maybe my class number "really " was 8-69 and I only mis-remember it as
              > > 8-68 since the class started in '68. Unfortunately the photos are no
              > > help for my own class they did not take class photos in most of 1968-69,
              > > though there is a photo of 2-70 graduating on Sep 16, 1969.

            • ch3263
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 16, 2009
                Class 8-76 Charlie Howard. found my class photo. Still pretty cold when we were there. I'm sure it was easier on us than the frosbite and frozen. Cold just the same. Mountain phase was pretty spooky after a night ambush, as we were moving off you could hear the hillbilly's bagging our expended brass in the dark behind us. Lost three of my full rations in a river crossing in Florida. LOL! HUNGRY! And still didn't get the bluberry muffins promised through the whole florida phase.

                --- In armyrangers@yahoogroups.com, smbump <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > turkey and all the trimmings. Ten minutes to eat. We got a short
                > > > Christmas furlough, followed by the Florida phase in early January 1969.

                > > > at https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/photo.htm#68 you'll find some of
                > > > the photos have class dates written on the photos. 1-66 has a photo
                > > > dated Jul 8, 1965 - Sep 9, 1965 which would be consistent with numbering
                > > > starting with a Jul 1 fiscal year. The federal fiscal year was Jul 1 -
                > > > Jun 30 until 1977 when it became Oct 1 - Sep 30. 10-65 has a photo
                > > > dated May 12, 1965 - Jul 15, 1965. So if the yy is the fiscal year,
                > > > maybe my class number "really " was 8-69 and I only mis-remember it as
                > > > 8-68 since the class started in '68. Unfortunately the photos are no
                > > > help for my own class they did not take class photos in most of 1968-69,
                > > > though there is a photo of 2-70 graduating on Sep 16, 1969.

              • mike cantrell
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 17, 2009
                  That is the saddest story I have heard this Christmas Season.  Got any penguin jokes?

                  Thanks for forwarding that one Gil, it would make dead people and dentists laugh.

                  Cantrell
                  A75