Re: [armchairactivist] Urgent: Vote NO on Preemptive Attack of Iraq

  • Terri Anderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
      From: "James Nimmo" <violadamore2@...>
      To: <armchairactivist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 10:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [armchairactivist] Urgent: Vote NO on Preemptive Attack of Iraq

> [...]
      > >
      > > TAKE ACTION TODAY!
      > >
      > > The best way is to make a quick call to your
      > > representatives. Call
      > > the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be
      > > connected.
      > >
      > > To send the message below to your representatives, simply
      > > hit REPLY
      > > now and a letter will be sent on your behalf. If you
      > > would like to learn more or customize the letter, go
      > > to:http://www.ucsaction.org/index.asp?step=2&item=2184
      > >
      > > Dear [Your legisator's name will be inserted]:
      > >
      > > I am writing to ask you to reject President Bush's
      > > premature request
      > > for authorization of military action against Iraq. I urge
      > > you to
      > > delay consideration of military action until it is clear
      > > whether
      > > effective inspections will resume in Iraq and until the
      > > UN Security
      > > Council decides how to enforce Iraq's compliance with
      > > existing UN
      > > resolutions.
      > >
      > > Iraq must comply with all relevant United Nations (UN)
      > > resolutions
      > > and allow unfettered inspections to determine whether it
      > > has
      > > eliminated its nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons
      > > programs.It
      > > is also clear that establishing effective controls on
      > > weapons of mass
      > > destruction will require a strong international
      > > non-proliferation
      > > regime-one based on the rule of law, supported by the
      > > international
      > > community, and enforced by the UN Security Council.
      > >
      > > The use of armed force against Iraq should be considered
      > > only as a
      > > last resort, and solely to enforce disarmament or to
      > > prevent renewed
      > > Iraqi aggression. It should be considered only if Iraq
      > > again
      > > frustrates UN inspections, seeks to prevent the
      > > destruction of any
      > > prohibited weapons or facilities, or prepares to attack
      > > others. Even
      > > if such conditions are met, the use of force should be
      > > authorized by
      > > the UN Security Council.
      > >
      > > The United States should now work to gain UN Security
      > > Council
      > > approval for the immediate resumption of inspections with
      > > no
      > > conditions and, if effective inspections do not proceed,
      > > for efforts
      > > to enforce Iraqi disarmament.
      > >
      > > Sincerely

      > > want to see in
      > > the world.
      > > Check out FREE content for your site and make use of our
      > > activist resource info!

      > =====
      > Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.
      > --Albert Einstein
      >
      > You can't learn too soon that the most useful thing about a principle is
      that it can always be sacrificed to expediency."
      > --Somerset Maugham
      >
      > What evolutionists fear is a triumph of superstition over reason. What
      fundamentalists fear is an empirical examination of their sacred
      beliefs.-Anon

      > http://sbc.yahoo.com
      >

      > Make a difference from your cozy computer chair! Fight the power with THE
      ARMCHAIR ACTIVIST and ARMCHAIR ACTIVISM - GLBT at
      http://www.armchair-activist.org/ .

      > has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We
      > make such material available in our efforts to advance understanding
      > of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
      scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a
      'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107
      of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
      material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have
      expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for
      research and educational purposes. For more information go to:
      > http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      >
      > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of
      copyright owner.

      > DISCLAIMER: In the interest of representing a wide variety of views, The
      Armchair Activist and Armchair-Activism GLBT posts action alerts on many
      subjects, both on its Web site and associated e-mail distribution lists. No
      endorsement is implied unless stated explicitly, and no endorsement should
      be assumed.