Thank you for signing the "The ESRA--Environmental & Social Responsibility Amendment to the U.S. Constit..." petition
From: Rabbi Michael Lerner <petitionshare@...>
Date: Sunday, August 3
Move to Amend does not go far enough, because money in politics operates not just by corporate giving but also because of the impact of the wealthy in giving, and most powerfully by the ability of corporations to threaten to move their assets if local, state or national legislation requires environmental responsibility or adequate pay for workers or adequate safety and health protections, etc. That threat is sufficient to make even the most liberal Democrats back down and modify their attempts at environmental sanity, a carbon tax, a living (not just a "minimum") wage, and other humane and earth-preserving legislation. That's why the Network of Spiritual Progressives is launching this campaign (read the full legal language of the Amendment at www.spiritualprogressives.org). This ESRA may never pass, but the campaign for it will have a dramatic impact in changing consciousness and opening up energies to challenge corporate environmental irresponsibility and the power of money in politics.
That's why I signed a petition to The United States House of Representatives, The United States Senate, and President Barack Obama, which says:
"We the undersigned call upon our elected officials to endorse the Environmental and Social Responsibility Amendment to the U.S. Constituiton which would:
1. Require public funding of all state and national elections and ban all other monies (not only from corporations, but from political parties, non-profits, and and individual)--in short a real Money out of Politics amendment.
2. Require corporations with incomes above $50 million/yr to get a new corporate charter once every five years which would only be granted to those that could prove a satisfactory history of environmental and social responsibility to a panel of ordinary citizens (after hearing testimony from people all around the world whose lives have been impacted by that corporation's products, services, advertising, treatment of workers and workers in firms to which the corporation sub-contracts, and environmentalists).
3. Requiring environmental education (including teaching empathy, generosity, and environmental sustainability) for every grade level from k-through graduate and professional schools).
4. Preventing corporations from moving their assets out of the places where they have been employing more than 500 people until they have compensated the communities they are leaving for the environmental, economic and/or social damage they are causing by moving those assets.
5. Overturning all parts of the US Constitution that are deemed by the Supreme Court to be in conflict with this amendment, but only to the extent that they are in conflict (so those parts are hereby modified to not be in conflict with this amendment, but in other respects are still in force). "
Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name:
GRATEFUL DREAD PEACE MEDIA - http://gratefuldread.com
301 Ezell Pike #17729
Nashville, TN 37217
GRATEFUL DREAD PUBLIC RADIO - http://gdreadradio.net
twitter: @gdpr / @nashvillepeace
PROGRESSIVE NASHVILLE - http://gratefuldread.net
FOUNDED 1996... NOW IN MUSIC CITY: TURNING TENNESSEE PURPLE!