Honduras: URGENT MUCA leader captured by Army URGENT

  • Rick Kissell
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2012

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Babette Grunow <babette37@...>
      Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 3:13 PM
      Subject: URGENT MUCA leader captured by Army URGENT

      Peasant leader captured by Army in Honduras. Calls needed urgently if your Spanish is good. If you prefer English, email the Human Rights Officer at the US Embassy. The US does provide the training for the Honduran military. Babette

      From: Annie Bird <annie@...>

      To: "Vicki Cervantes" <vickicervantes@...>
      Cc: "Presente Honduras" <presente-honduras@...>
      Date: Friday, April 13, 2012, 11:05 AM

      URGENT - PLEASE CALL

      Colonel Paz - 011 504 9867-2975

      Ask about the well being and whereabouts of Juan Galindo and Oveniel Caceres.
      Ask for the reason of their detention and express concern for the lack of due process given that no arrest warrant was presented.

      One hour ago, at approximately 10:45 EST, a military force comprised of elements from the Xatruch forces, the 15th Battalion and the 4th Naval base entered the community of Las Maranones, organized with the Campesino Movement of the Aguan (MUCA) ont he Left Bank of the Aguan River in the municipality of Trujillo.

      The army captured Juan Galindo, president of one of the 12 campesino businesses, and Oveniel Caceres, a member of the campesino movement in Maranones.  There have been many recent problems in Las Maranones, including an attack against the military on the border of the Maranones farm, an attack by armed men against members of the Maranones community members within the farm, and the emergence of a group within the community which appears to be collaborating with palm oil businessmen in enacting violence within the community.

      --
      Annie Bird
      Co Director

      You are subscribed as: kaufman.chuck@...