Maryland passes bills banning employers from seeking online passwords

  • Teresa Binstock
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2012

      Maryland passes bills banning employers from seeking online passwords

      Maryland recently gave a big "dislike" to employers asking for social media passwords, becoming the first state to pass a bill banning the practice.

      The state Senate and House last week passed their versions of the bill that prohibits bosses from “requesting or requiring that an employee or applicant disclose any user name, password, or other means for accessing a personal account or service through specified electronic communications devices; prohibiting an employer from taking, or threatening to take, specified disciplinary actions for an employee's refusal to disclose specified password and related information; prohibiting an employee from downloading specified information or data.”

      "We're really excited," said Melissa Goemann, legislative director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland, of the bill's passage in an interview with the Baltimore Sun. "We just think this is a really positive development, because the technology for social media is expanding every year, and we think this sets a really good precedent for limiting how much your privacy can be exposed when you use these mediums."....