FW: If we want them to listen, first we must SPEAK!

  • Fischer, Carol A
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009

      Please post widely:

      From: HRC Fort Wayne [mailto:lindahrcvolunteer@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:41 PM
      Subject: If we want them to listen, first we must SPEAK!

      The Employment Nondiscrimination Act (ENDA) is now before the House of Representatives, and the Matthew Shepard Act is being heard in the Senate.

      We just got done celebrating Pride Month, the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in New York.  Thank you to these wonderful matriarchs of our Family for standing up and fighting back!!

      NOW it is OUR TURN.  Reports of being fired or shoved out of employment are the #1 concern that I hear as the Lead for HRC Fort Wayne, and WE have a chance to DO something about it!

      And let's be real--we ALL know someone who has been the victim of gay bashing--so severe it still brings us to tears, years later.

      It is NOT right, so PLEASE make a phone call and tell your legislators this!

      It is easier than 1, 2, 3!

      1. Call the United States Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121.

      2. Tell them you are calling for your Senator.  (Find your Senators at http://www.hrc.org/your_community/your_elected_officials.asp)

      3. Tell the person answering your call that you want your Senator to vote YES on S.909 (The Matthew Shepard Act).

      Repeat for your other Senator!

      Then do the same for your Representatives regarding ENDA.  And make sure to tell them that it needs to be a FULLY INCLUSIVE ENDA, including gender identity!

      It is literally that easy!

      Not only do we owe it to the drag queens, lesbians and gay men who incited the modern gay rights movement, we owe it to ourselves and to those kids who are in the beginning stages of figuring it out.  We owe it to their parents, who do not cry because their children are LGBT, but because they know that, as things stand now, they'll face a harder life because they are LGBT.  And we owe it to the people who love us--the people who stand up for us every day.

      We deserve equality, and we will be relentless until it is achieved!

      It begins here, now, with phone calls.

      Refuse to be silenced when WE have the power.  Call (202) 224-3121 today, and visit www.hrc.org for more information.

      Thank you, as always, for your FIGHT!

      Sincerely,