ACTIVISM: Help British gay couple keep their kids

  • Natalie Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2000
      Date:
      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 14:04:18 -0500
      From:
      John Aravosis <john@...>

      THE LIST
      January 2, 2000
      Gay Politics: Online & With an Edge

      URGENT: UK GAY PARENTS MAY LOSE KIDS � PLEASE HELP
      Folks, a nasty story out of London today. According to today�s
      Reuters, a gay British couple - Barrie Drewitt, 30, and Tony Barlow,
      35 - on returning from the US, were stopped by the UK border folks
      at Heathrow Airport, and their babies taken away for over an hour.
      (Below I provide email addresses for you to help).

      The UK is refusing to grant British citizenship to the children,
      because the parents are gay and therefore not legally married, even
      though they are the biological children of one of the partners and
      both men are named on the US birth certificates as the legal parents.
      The children were finally returned to the parents, but their US
      passports confiscated, and their future uncertain. The couple is
      appealing to Prime Minister Tony Blair and Home Secretary Jack
      Straw for help.

      As a positive way to start the new millenium, can everyone please
      send a quick email to Prime Minister Blair, Secretary Straw, and the
      Parliamentary Ombudsman (another person who may be able to
      intervene). Their email addresses are below, and a way to fax them
      via email. Tell them that you heard about the
      British government�s mistreatment of Barrie Drewitt and Tony
      Barlow, and their refusal to recognize the legal and biological
      children of gay parents.

      Ask them, politely but firmly, to do the right thing and respect the
      human rights of these children and their parents by granting them
      immediately British citizenship, and fixing the immigration
      regulations once and for all. (And don't forget to include
      your name and address at the bottom of the message). And if you
      can ask some friends to send emails too, I really think it would
      help.

      You may recall that a previous case, in which the gay bombing
      victims of a gay pub bombing were not compensated by the
      government, while straight victims were, got resolved after much
      international gay outcry. We can make a difference, and what a
      great way to start the New Year.

      EMAIL TONY BLAIR:
      mailto:labour-party@...

      EMAIL HOME OFFICE SECRETARY JACK STRAW:
      mailto:gen.ho@...

      EMAIL PARLIAMENTARY OMBUDSMAN MICHAEL BUCKLEY:
      mailto:opca-enqu@...

      (the following email addresses, that automatically fax your email,
      do work, I've tried them)

      AUTO-FAX VIA EMAIL TO TONY BLAIR
      mailto:remote-printer.Hon_Tony_Blair@...

      AUTO-FAX VIA EMAIL TO JACK STRAW
      mailto:remote-printer.Hon_Jack_Straw@...

      AUTO-FAX VIA EMAIL TO MICHAEL BUCKLEY
      mailto:remote-printer.Hon_Michael_Buckley@...

      Please visit some of our Web sites:
      * Matthew Shepard Online Resources -
      http://www.wiredstrategies.com/shepard.html
      * AOL Anti-Gay & Anti-Jewish Member Profiles -
      http://www.wiredstrategies.com/profile.htm
      * Nazi Anti-Jewish Speech vs. Religious Right Anti-Gay Speech -
      http://www.wiredstrategies.com/hitler.html
      * Mugged by AOL - A Gay Man Loses His Good Name to the World's Largest
      Internet Provider - http://www.wiredstrategies.com/mugged.html
      * AOL Punishes Gay Man Seeking Safe Sex Info -
      http://www.wiredstrategies.com/aids.html
      * Timothy McVeigh AOL Privacy Case -
      http://www.wiredstrategies.com/mcveigh.htm
      * Merriam-Webster/AOL Anti-gay Thesaurus -
      http://www.wiredstrategies.com/thesaurus.html
      * Ex-Gays Implode - http://www.wiredstrategies.com/exgay.htm
      * Gay Pride Rome 1999 - http://www.wiredstrategies.com/pride.htm
      * Sandals Resorts & Anti-gay Sweepstakes -
      http://www.wiredstrategies.com/resort.html

      "In Germany, the Nazis first came for the Communists, and I didn't
      speak up
      because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I
      didn't
      speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade
      unionists,
      and I didn't speak up because I w
      asn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, but I
      didn't
      speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by
      that
      time there was no one left to speak up for me."

      - Martin Niemoeller, Berlin Lutheran pastor arrested by the Gestapo
      and
      sent to Dachau concentration camp in 1938; the Allied forces freed him
      seven years later.