US non-conventional weapons in Lebanon (presstv.ir)

  • Romi Elnagar
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      US non-conventional weapons in Lebanon
      Sat, 26 May 2007 21:59:53

      Lebanese militants say the United States is shipping non-conventional weapons to Lebanon, threatening retaliation if they are used.

      "We have learned through our sources that the Americans have sent non-conventional weapons to the Lebanese army, including nerve gas and cluster bombs," AFP quoted Fatah al-Islam spokesman Abu Salim Taha as saying on Saturday.

      "We tell their lackeys that if these arms are used against our group, we will respond with non-conventional attacks in different parts of Lebanon," he warned.

      Washington has confirmed it is rushing military supplies to the army, which has prompted the Lebanese opposition to warn the government against getting involved in a US-backed war against the Al-Qaeda-inspired fighters of Fatah al-Islam.

      At least 76 people have been killed in battles between the Lebanese army and militants near a Palestinian refugee camp north of Lebanon.

      Lebanese tanks shelled al-Qaeda-inspired Fatah al-Islam militants near the camp on Monday in a second day of clashes which began early Sunday after a police raid on a Tripoli house apparently being used by the militants.

      US seeking chaos in Lebanon
      Thu, 31 May 2007 10:44:06

      The Lebanese Foreign Minister Fawzi Salloukh
      Lebanon's Foreign Minister has said the US arms deliveries to Lebanon are aimed at throwing the country and the region into chaos.

      As reported by IRNA, Fawzi Salloukh stressed on Wednesday that the timing of the arms shipment is also suspicious, given that the Lebanese government had called for such aid ten years ago.

      Lebanese security sources say over nine plane-loads of US military aid have arrived in Lebanon over the past few days under the pretext of helping Prime Minister Fouad Siniora's pro-Western government and continuing the so-called war against terrorism.

      The Lebanese Army has been engaged in a furious fighting against the Fatah al-Islam group in a Palestinian refugee camp, north of the country, while the government is struggling to survive under increasing domestic pressure.

      MF/BGH