Airport security excesses - several articles

  • Teresa Binstock
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004

      Laura Keegan explains how she was frisked at the Orlando Airport. (Photo: Renee DeKona)

      T&A not off-limits for TSA: Women, too, face hands-on security
      By David Weber
      Tuesday, November 23, 2004

      Travelers passing through Logan International Airport this holiday may find that their private areas aren't so private anymore when it comes to pat-down searches at security checkpoints.
           Transportation Safety Administration officials say increased concerns about bombs being hidden on a person's body require more intensive torso searches, and women's breasts and the genital and buttocks regions of both sexes are not off-limits.
           ``We really need our passengers to be our partners and to think about what they're wearing and what they're packing,'' TSA Northeast Security Director George Naccara said yesterday.
           He said people wearing bulky clothes such as heavy sweaters could find themselves tagged for a thorough pat-down search. Frequent fliers already may be familiar with the security practice, which was implemented in September after two Chechen women allegedly smuggled bombs onto Russian airliners in August.
           Naccara said the secondary searches are conducted by TSA employees of the same sex as the traveler, and travelers may request they be taken to a separate room.
           Naccara said travelers can decrease the probability of a secondary search by wearing form-fitting clothes that could not conceal a bomb.
           TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis said travelers also can help avoid long lines by cutting back on the amount of metal jewelry and other metal objects such as large belt buckles or pants with metal studs.
           ``We want people to know what to expect,'' Davis said, adding that security officers who conduct the more intrusive secondary searches have been trained to tell the passengers where they plan to search before they do it.
           All coats, even sport coats and blazers, must be removed when passing through the checkpoints, and passengers should be prepared to remove their shoes.
           Naccara said the number of passengers at Logan has been increasing steadily by 15 percent to 20 percent per month this year compared to 2003, while still lagging behind pre-9/11 levels.
           He predicted Sunday will be the busiest travel day this week at the airport and suggested travelers add at least 30 minutes to their usual preflight arrival time.

      At the Ft. Lauderdale airport, when singer Patti Lu Pone was told to take off her skirt she said, “but I’ll be exposed,” they persisted, and she refused. She was banned from her flight. If these sickos are not patting down breasts, they are diving in crouches. It is totally unnecessary and disgusting. Travelers are furious. It is humiliating. These are the new rules that give security personnel latitude to select whomever they want for secondary screenings. It of course, singles out  women. There are complaints, but not as many as there should be. Passengers believe they cannot fight it. They are afraid they will be shipped off to Guantanamo to undergo torture, which our President and Alberto Gonzales think is just fine, because these are potential terrorists, they have no rights in the new Fascist States of America.
                                                              Robert Chapman/ International Forecaster

      Airport screenings intensify

      Some travelers say pat downs invasive

      By Anthony Flint, Globe Staff  |  November 24, 2004

      Women making their way through the holiday crush at Logan Airport yesterday steeled themselves for the latest feature of 21st-century air travel: more frequent and invasive pat downs by security screeners.

      Under new procedures put in place by the Transportation Security Administration, screeners pass a metal-detecting wand over passengers selected for intensive searches, and then touch any part of the body where the wand goes off.

      <snip>

      ...some women say they think the pat-down policy is intrusive and embarrassing and the touching borders on groping.

      ''There have been women I travel with who have had some uncomfortable situations," said Melissa Hayes of New York, catching the USAirways shuttle to LaGuardia yesterday.

      Jamie Sibulkin of Holliston said in a telephone interview that she won't fly again after her experience earlier this month. After passing through the metal detector for a flight to Dallas, a male screener started to pass a hand wand over her body, she said. She requested a woman, who joked that the man was ''missing out," waved the wand in front of her chest, and ''out of nowhere started touching my breast."

      On the return trip, from Dallas, she deliberately did not wear the metal-wire bra that she was told sets off the hand wand. But still the female screener felt her breasts. ''They said, 'This is regulation.' I said, 'This is molestation!' " recalled Sibulkin, 27. ''I started crying, and I felt violated. There's nothing about this that's acceptable. I wonder how far it's going to go before people stand up and say this is enough."

      <snip>

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      AMERICANS CONTINUE TO CHALLENGE SECRECY LAWS TO FLY

      November 24, 2004

      Posted 1:10 AM Eastern

      NewsWithViews.com

      Former Congresswoman Helen Chenoweth-Hage has never run from a good fight. While a member of the House of Representatives [R-ID], she was known for her uncompromising principles and insistence that the U.S. Constitution be the guiding instrument of any and all legislation coming out of her office or when she cast a vote. She also gained enormous support from land owners for her efforts on their behalf regarding the actions against them by the federal government. (search)

      Helen and her husband, Wayne Hage, who is a rancher and strong property rights advocate, have been embroiled in their own legal battle against the government regarding vested water rights, foraging and grazing allotments. (search). Ranchers and farmers like the Hage's have long complained that the federal government and their agencies are running amok, destroying their rights, their livelihoods and their lives.

      Land rights isn't the only battle by this feisty former Congresswoman. Last month, Chenoweth-Hage did what millions of Americans routinely do - she got ready to board a United Airlines in Boise, Idaho, but was singled out by airline personnel for more in-depth screening which was to include a pat-down search for any weapons or contraband she might be trying to smuggle on board. Before submitting to this procedure, she requested a copy of the regulation which authorizes such an action against her person.

      Seems like a reasonable request. However, the local Transportation Security Administration [TSA] director, Julian Gonzalessaid in an interview, "She said she wanted to see the regulation that required the additional procedure for secondaryscreening and she was told that she couldn't see it. She refused to go through additional screening [without seeing the regulation], and she was not allowed to fly. It's pretty simple."

      This request by Chenoweth-Hage wasn't to see any internal documents for TSA regarding the screening of passengers, she only wanted to see the legal authorization for passenger pat-downs. According to Gonzales, she was denied this request, "Because we don't have to....That is called 'sensitive security information.' She's not allowed to see it, nor is anyone else," he said.......  For the rest of this article, go to: http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexclusive/exclusive58.htm

      Sexually Abusing Passengers in The Name of Security
      http://www.newswithviews.com/Ryter/jon69.htm
      by Jon Christian Ryter

      SEXUALLY ABUSING PASSENGERS IN THE NAME OF SECURITY

      By Jon Christian Ryter

      November 28, 2004

      NewsWithViews.com

      A good many Thanksgiving air travelers were shocked as they made their way through the physical "hands on" gauntlet at the nation's airports for the first time since 9-11-04 on Tuesday and Wednesday prior to that holiday, and discovered that in addition to the previous inconveniences of wand searches, being asked to remove outer garments and shoes and, occasionally, having their carry-on luggage searched, now, as an increasingly common occurrence we find airport security physically "frisking" travelers—including pat-downs of women's breasts and both male and female buttocks and genitalia. According to Transportation Security Administration [TSA] officials, since the pat-downs are done with the back of the screener's hand rather than their palms and fingers, the screener shouldn't be offending anyone. However, to the victim of this abuse, there is little difference from being "felt up" with the back or front of some stranger's hand. Many of those patted down believe they were groped with the fronts, not the backs, of the hands of the screeners. Many female travelers have either cut back on commercial flying, or stopped flying altogether. A few are contemplating lawsuits against the airlines.

      One traveler, Rhonda L.Gaynler, a lawyer who is a frequent flyer who had just one too many public breast exams, decided to sue. She hired a prominent New York civil rights lawyer, Norman Siegel, who is currently researching the legal grounds for a class action lawsuit.

      More lawsuits will likely be filed over what the TSA claims are "minimal" complaints although they will probably prove to be an effort in futility since it is the belief of Russian authorities that the two Chechen women who blew up the Russian airliners carried nonmetallic explosives onto the planes. Unfortunately for American travelers, it is not known if the explosives that destroyed the Russian airplanes were hidden in the clothing of the Chechen suicide murderers, if they simply carried the explosives, unimpeded, onto the planes; or, if the explosives were set with timers and were in the cargo holds of the planes. Because the TSA does not know, the pat-downs were authorized by the TSA and are currently being carried out in every airport in the nation..

      Thus, it is in the compelling interest of the United States to take whatever measures are necessary to eliminate the threat. However, if Gaynler and any other women who file lawsuits can prove from witnesses (usually there are scores of them standing around watching the strip searches since, unless the women protest and demand that the screening be done in a private room—and that the person who does the body search be of the same gender as the traveler) that the screeners used the fronts, not backs, of their hands in the pat-downs, they will likely win a judgment from either the airlines or the security company that contracted the screeners. However, most travelers, male and female alike, are not aware of the TSA policy that "...screeners are to use the back of the hand when screen sensitive body areas, which include the breasts (females only), genitals and buttocks" and may not realize they have legally been sexually abused if the screener cups their breasts or touches their genitalia with the palms of his or her hands.

      Since new procedure was put into place, the TSA received over 250 complaints. TSA officials claim the number of complaints are "...trending downwards," and that they received far fewer complaints within the last few weeks. With as many as 15% of the approximately 2 million daily flyers getting the new "pat-down," it is unlikely that the complaints are trending downward regardless what TSA spokeswoman Amy Von Walter says. From week one, Von Walter said, the complaints tricked to only 11 the second week—down from 45 the first week. However, since only about 10% of those who feel violated will complain, we can assume the number of "palm of the hand" assaults is probably closer to 2,500 women than it is 250 women.

      Jen McSkimming, the manager of a domestic airlines, was attending an industry meeting on the subject of airport security when those in attendance began discussing the pat-down policy. "Well," the TSA official said, "I only get about 15 complaints a week on this." McSkimming told the New York Times that she looked around the room at the 30-or so people in attendance and noticed that about half of them were women. She asked how many of the women had a bad experience with the TSA's new pat-down policy. "Every single woman," she said, "raised their hand. So, I told him, 'Well, you'd better add 15 to this week's total.'"

      Most of the women interviewed by the New York Times for a feature article on pat-downs, said they didn't lodge any formal complaints believing it would be an effort in futility to do so. Heather Maurer, a Washington, DC business executive received her "cheap feel" at Logan International Airport in Boston. Although she and several other women with whom Mauer said she had spoken were very offended by the pat-downs, all of them were reluctant to go on the record by filing a written complaint for fear that they would end up on a TSA suspect list and would be singled out whenever they traveled by air. A male screener gave her a full body pat-down, lifted her shirt and looked down the back of her pants. When he did it, she said: "I'm not comfortable having you feel me up." Like most of the women who fly, Mauer was convinced she didn't have a choice—except to give up flying, which was something she can't afforrd to do.

      Nancy Jackson, the president of a global company headquartered in New York said she has also learned not to express her objections to the pat-down. "If you do," she said, "they really feel you up. And then [they] check every section of your wallet and every item in your carryon, including your makeup and toiletries. It's disgusting."

      Lu Chekowsky, an advertising executive from Portland, Oregon is another reluctant flyer now. She's been felt up so many times she now wears baggy trousers, flip-flops, and an oversized sweat shirt when she travels to make the pat-down get over quicker. "Routinely," she said, "my breasts are being cupped and my behind is being felt. I feel I can't fight it. If I say anything, I picture myself being shipped off to Guantanamo."

      Tony Award winning actress and singer Patti LuPone claims she was also the victim of an airport screener who went too far. Like Mauer, Chekowsky and thousands of other men and women, LuPone was flagged for special attention at the Fort Lauderdale, Florida airport. The male screener asked her to remove articles of clothing. LuPone said she removed her leather jacket, her belt and her shoes because they contained metal which could have triggered the metal detector. The screener told her to take off her shirt.

      "If I take off my shirt," she explained, "I'm going to be exposed." Since LuPone was wearing a see-through camisole, she knew if she took off her shirt, she would be concealing absolutely nothing. The screener seemed to understand. He nodded, saying, "Okay." When she passed through the metal detector without incident, he flagged her for a secondary screening. "What am I doing here?" she asked him.

      "You said you wouldn't take your shirt off," he replied. LuPone said she told the New York Times, at that point, she wondered—am I in the time-out chair?

      Still in view of the other air travelers who were checking in, she removed her shirt and asked the screener what he wanted next. He did not reply. Instead, a female screener appeared and began to pat her down. According to LuPone, " ...this woman comes and starts to give me a breast exam—not using the back of her hands, using the palm of her hands." LuPone said she was shocked by what was happening to her. "I was not in a private environment. I was out there in the public, and totally taken by surprise, humiliated and shocked." LuPone, whose breasts were deliberately exposed by the screener because of his orders—backed up by his badge, has grounds to sue because the femalee screener touched her breasts with the palms of her hands and her fingers.

      Congressman John Mica [R-FL] seems to think this is just a minor inconvenience that Americans should be able to tolerate for a short time "...until we get the technology [in place]. I know it's not pleasant," he said, "but what are the options?" The TSA is currently testing machines that will eliminate, or greatly curtail, the use of pat-downs. The experimental unit is a machine that blows puffs of air at passengers in order to grab and detect trace molecules of explosive materials dislodged by the air puffs. But, as Mica noted, until the high-tech unit is approved and all airports are equipped with the new technology, the pat-downs will continue. That's why graduate student Sommer Gentry, who said male screeners at Logan International Airport tried to pat her down while a female screener at BWI tried to shove a handheld metal detector between her legs, making her a permanent ex-frequent flyer.

      The options are: [a] provide complete and total privacy for anyone—male or female—who is about to be humiliated by minimum wage screeners who have been given authority to do something for which they would be arrested for doing if they were not under the shield of the TSA; or [b] be prepared to cover the financial liability for the airlines when overzealous, untrained thrill seekers wearing badges violate travelers. Any screener, male or female, who touches a traveler—male or female, with the palm of his or her hand, or his or her fingers—needs to be fired and prosecuted for sexual assault. On its way into service is another, less intrusive devise. Less intrusive only in the sense that screeners will not need to physically touch the traveler to determine if they have anything concealed on their body since the new devise is a very high tech X-ray machine called the Secure 1000 scanner. In 6-seconds it does a complete 360 degree scan of the human body.

      Steve Smith, the inventor of the X-ray scanner admits that privacy will be the primary issue. Promoters of the X-ray scanner, however, would have travelers believe that it is not much different than the X-ray machine your local hospital uses. The image the screener will see, they would have you believe, is about the same as the image viewed by the hospital's X-ray technician and your doctor. Not true.

      The new devise simply peers through your clothes, not your skin. It will be almost as though you are walking through the metal detectors naked—eexcept the finite body "details" will be "fuzzy." What shows up on the screen is a naked human form. Blurry images of male genitalia will be visible as will the cleft in the buttocks. Also visible will be anything that is concealed on that person—coins in the pockets, metal zippers, metal or ceramic knives, guns, explosives and, yes, drugs. X-ray scanners have been used in England for about a year. In fact, they are so successful they are now being used by police agencies throughout the country.

      In an experiment in the United States when the scanners were initially tested in 15 of the nation's largest airports, TSA screener Susan Hallowed agreed to be the first American guinea pig. Carrying a handgun concealed on her body, she walked through the x-ray scanner. (Pictures: right). Not only did the scanner "see" the handgun hidden in the small of her back, it also spotted the purse around her waist and the cell phone under her jacket on the right. When this system gets up and running, it will replace the human hand pat-downs and the embarrassment women felt being touched by people they don't know will be replaced by being seen naked by people they don't know.

      It's clear we have not gotten a single iota smarter since 9-11. If anything, we've gotten even more stupid. Because of political correctness and a fear of the ACLU and Islamic lobbying groups, TSA issued instructions to seek out terrorists from the ranks of grandmothers, well-known non-Muslim entertainers, middle class white Christian travelers, and others who do not fit the profile of a terrorist as we know them to be in this country. Screeners at airports take care not to set anyone apart for secondary security checks if they appear to be of Mideastern origin. So, if you want to avoid the hands-on security check, just put a red and white checkered tablecloth on your head, tie it in place with a piece of clothesline, tattoo "praise be Allah," on your forehead or hand, and you are almost assured that you will be passed through the screeners' gauntlet without a second glance.

      But anyway you look at it, it's very likely the "cheap feel" conducted by airport contract employees under the guise of making travel safer for Americans might end up becoming very expensive for the airlines and/or the security contractors who perform the screening searches for the TSA if Siegel's class action lawsuit gains legs. Let's get rid of the nonsensical "feel good" security at the airports and start targeting those who history has shown intends to harm the people and the infrastructure of the United States. Whether Mideastern, Asian, African, European or American, those who are intent to wage Jihad in America are Islamists. We need to start profiling them. No one's going to care if overzealous screeners at LaGuardia, or BWI or Logan Airport strip searches someone linked to Osama bin Laden or al Qaeda. In fact, if that happened, Americans would not mind the humiliation they must endure a the hands of TSA screeners when they decide to fly somewhere.

      [Editors Note: Nazis during Adolph Hitler's regime didn't treat their people with such disrespect and humiliation as are TSA officials. As long as the people will tolerate abuse, it will not only continue but get worse, much worse. As I have said before, give a scoundrel a badge and power, and he'll sell his soul for a paycheck every time.

      I guarantee you that they are not going to squeeze Arab woman's breasts. Arab men are not going to stand idly by, while their wife's and daughters are being sexually abused, guaranteed! They can only get away with this with Christians.]

      © 2004 Jon C. Ryter - All Rights Reserved

      The material in this post is distributed without profit to those
      who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
      information for research and educational purposes.
      For more information go to:
      http://oregon.uoregon.edu/~csundt/documents.htm
      If you wish to use copyrighted material from this email for
      purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission
      from the copyright owner.