29222How Urban Anonymity Disappears When All Data is Tracked - NYT

  • Teresa Binstock
    Apr 19, 2014

      How Urban Anonymity Disappears When All Data is Tracked

      By QUENTIN HARDY
      http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/how-urban-anonymity-disappears-when-all-data-is-tracked/

      Cities are our paradises of anonymity, a place for both self-erasure and self-reinvention. But soon, cities may fall first in the disappearance, or at least a radical remaking, of privacy.

      Information about our innocuous public acts is denser in urban areas, and can now be cheaply aggregated. Cameras and sensors, increasingly common in the urban landscape, pick up all sorts of behaviors. These are stored and categorized to draw personal conclusions — all of it, thanks to cheap electronics and cloud computing, for affordable sums.

      “People in cities have anonymity from their neighbor, but not from an entity collecting data about them,”....