28741Fw: [Presente-Honduras] Video testimony w/English transcript military police attempt to raid LIBRE in Kennedy Neighborhood of Tegucigalpa 22-nov-2013

  • Rick Kissell
    Nov 24, 2013

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Latin America Solidarity Committee <lascmilw@...>
      To: LASCmilwaukee <LASCmilwaukee@...>
      Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 2:45 PM
      Subject: Fwd: Fw: [Presente-Honduras] Video testimony w/English transcript military police attempt to raid LIBRE in Kennedy Neighborhood of Tegucigalpa 22-nov-2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Babette Grunow <babette37@...>
      Date: Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM
      To: Latin America Solidarity Committee <lascmilw@...>
      Cc: Rick Kissell <rick@...>, WI Peace & Justice <office@...>

      This is from our friends at HSN. I have been alerting the press but I could use help in letting the State Department know that there are US citizens who are watching and who care about the harassment that is going on in Honduras as regards the observing of the elections.

      I would suggest emailing and phoning both US and Honduran officials about the harassment of the HSN delegation and the attempted military police raid of LIBRE headquarters last night (See Andres Conteris' recent presente e-mail on this).
      Babette

      State Department, Director of Central America affairs, Scott Hamilton: Hamiltonsi@...
      State Department, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, Charles O Blaha: Blahaco@...
      Honduras Embassy, Human Rights Attache: Amanda Johnson-Miller: johnson-millera@...

      --------

      Ministro de Seguridad: Arturo Corrales: oaseguridad@... ph 504.2220.5547 fax 504.2220.4352

      Ana Pineda, Ministra de Justicia y Derechos Humanos apineda@... ph 504.9982.6801 or 504.223

      --
      November 23, 2013
      Today around 10:30-11am in Hotel Suites Aurora in Tegucigalpa 5 men and 1 woman armed civilians dressed men with ski masks offered no identification, another 3 were wearing Immigration t-shirts, who went to reception.  and they asked for passports for the people in the lobby who were here, as well as asked for all International Observers to come to the lobby, asked them questions and looked through their passports and took personal records. They took 2 passports from Brazilian international observers without explaining why. When they asked why, they say “because yes we can”.  They explained they were tourists and still they took passports without credible cause.

      One observer said that when she asked a soldier who he was, he said he could not identify himself, that he was under the command of Manuel Escobar Mejia.

      We are extremely concerned for the safety of the International Observers and anyone here to witness the process of the elections.
      Please stay tuned to what is going in Honduras and please be aware of the intimidation to International Observers.
       Names of people that came in civilian clothes, armed and with ski masks:
      Gabriel Matute-Immigraiton
      Manuel Escobar Mejia (agente con arma larga)
      David Ramos (migracion)

      Please forward