Cannot execute binary file

  • icarus_31
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
      Hi,

      I am newbie with Linux. I installed openSuse 10.3.

      Now, I want to do cross-compiling under Linux. I need the GNU ARM
      toolchain. I downloaded the binaries (GCC-4.0 toolchain).

      I uncompressed everything into my /home/username/tools.

      Then, I "export"ed my /tools path:

      export PATH=/home/username/tools:${PATH}

      Finally, I tried to compile with an existing makefile. I got this:

      /bin/sh: /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc: cannot execute binary file
      /bin/sh: /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc: cannot execute binary file
      /bin/sh: /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc: cannot execute binary file
      Compiling lib/net/start.c
      make[2]: *** [start.o] Error 126
      make[1]: *** [_MAKE_SUBMODS] Error 1
      make: *** [_library_net] Error 2

      Now, I really do not understand why the arm-elf-gcc is not binary
      file!

      I also tried to build all the tools (gcc, binutils, newlib), but I
      got lots of error during the process, so this why I wanted to try the
      package already compiled.

      Just to make sure, I also changed the attribute of arm-elf-gcc to
      make sure that everybody could access it in write and read mode. Did
      not change anything.

      Somebody can help me with this issue?

      Thanks in advance
    • Simon Glass
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
        Hi,

        You could try

        ls -l /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc

        to make sure it is executable, and

        file /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc

        to make sure it matches your architecture. The only thing I can think of is that you might have a 64-bit version. Others may have other thoughts.

        Regards,
        Simon

        icarus_31 wrote:

[...]

        Bluewater Systems Ltd - ARM Technology Solution Centre

        Simon Glass

        Ph:  +64 3 3779127 x201                     Bluewater Systems Ltd
        Aus: 1800 148 751                           Unit 5, 404 Barbadoes St
        Fax: +64 3 3779135                          PO Box 13889
        Web: http://www.bluewatersys.com            Christchurch, New Zealand

      • icarus_31
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2008
          I figured out that the binaries for Linux available on GNUMARM.com
          are for 64-bit version!

          I just downloaded the source code to compile it. Do you know if the
          procedure in http://www.gnuarm.com/support.html build process section
          is correct or need to be updated?

          I am asking that because when I tried to "make all install" the
          newlib source code, I got errors:

          make[5]: arm-elf-cc: Command not found
          make[5]: *** [dummy.o] Error 127
          make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
          make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
          make[2]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
          make[1]: *** [all-target-newlib] Error 2
          make: *** [all] Error 2

          I do not understand why I got "arm-elf-cc". It should be "arm-elf-
          gcc", no?

          --- In arm-user@yahoogroups.com, Simon Glass <sglass@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > You could try
          >
          > ls -l /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc
          >
          > to make sure it is executable, and
          >
          > file /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc
          >
          > to make sure it matches your architecture. The only thing I can
          think of
          > is that you might have a 64-bit version. Others may have other
          thoughts.

          > Regards,
          > Simon
          >
          > icarus_31 wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am newbie with Linux. I installed openSuse 10.3.
          > >
          > > Now, I want to do cross-compiling under Linux. I need the GNU ARM
          > > toolchain. I downloaded the binaries (GCC-4.0 toolchain).
          > >
          > > I uncompressed everything into my /home/username/tools.
          > >
          > > Then, I "export"ed my /tools path:
          > >
          > > export PATH=/home/username/tools:${PATH}
          > >
          > > Finally, I tried to compile with an existing makefile. I got this:
          > >
          > > /bin/sh: /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc: cannot execute binary
          file
          > > /bin/sh: /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc: cannot execute binary
          file
          > > /bin/sh: /home/username/tools/arm-elf-gcc: cannot execute binary
          file
          > > Compiling lib/net/start.c
          > > make[2]: *** [start.o] Error 126
          > > make[1]: *** [_MAKE_SUBMODS] Error 1
          > > make: *** [_library_net] Error 2
          > >

          > > Now, I really do not understand why the arm-elf-gcc is not binary
          > > file!
          > >
          > > I also tried to build all the tools (gcc, binutils, newlib), but I
          > > got lots of error during the process, so this why I wanted to try
          the
          > > package already compiled.
          > >
          > > Just to make sure, I also changed the attribute of arm-elf-gcc to
          > > make sure that everybody could access it in write and read mode.
          Did
          > > not change anything.
          > >
          > > Somebody can help me with this issue?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance
          > >

          > --
          ----
          > Bluewater Systems Ltd - ARM Technology Solution Centre
          >
          > Simon Glass
          >
          > Ph: +64 3 3779127 x201 Bluewater Systems Ltd
          > Aus: 1800 148 751 Unit 5, 404 Barbadoes St
          > Fax: +64 3 3779135 PO Box 13889
          > Web: http://www.bluewatersys.com Christchurch, New
          Zealand

        • David
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008
            if you have time, can you look at my next problem?

            You were right, I did use a 64 bit version even if I did not have that version.

            So, I downloaded the source code to compile it. Do you know if the
            procedure in http://www.gnuarm.com/support.html build process section
            is correct or need to be updated?

            I am asking that because when I tried to "make all install" the
            newlib source code, I got errors:

            make[5]: arm-elf-cc: Command not found
            make[5]: *** [dummy.o] Error 127
            make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
            make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
            make[2]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
            make[1]: *** [all-target-newlib] Error 2
            make: *** [all] Error 2

            I do not understand why I got "arm-elf-cc". It should be "arm-elf-
            gcc", no?

            Thanks in advance

            David