jump size in arm address space

  • vishwanath
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2007
      Is there a jump instructions which can jump till 2gb address space
      how do we do this in single instruction
    • Simon Glass
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
        Hi,

        In general:

        ldr pc, =0x80038273

        will do it. It will generate a literal pool entry.

        In a special case you might be able to do:

        add pc, pc, #0x80000000

        or similar, but obviously not recommended.

        Regards,
        Simon

        vishwanath wrote:

        > Is there a jump instructions which can jump till 2gb address space
        > how do we do this in single instruction

        Bluewater Systems Ltd - ARM Technology Solution Centre

        Simon Glass Bluewater Systems Ltd
        Phone: +64 3 3779127 (Aus 1800 148 751) Level 17, 119 Armagh St
        Fax: +64 3 3779135 PO Box 13889
        Email: sglass@... Christchurch
        Web: http://www.bluewaternz.com New Zealand
      • Vasant K P
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007

          Hi,

          It’s a very basic question,

          I have read few times about the concept of literal pool, but couldn’t get it , can some one please explain me what exactly it is and how does it help ARM core to load a immediate value?

          Thanx in advance

          -vasant

          Email: sglass@bluewaternz. com Christchurch

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
            Hi,

            It is a set of literal values, each generally a word long (32 bits).

            Roughly speaking, this:

            ldr pc, =0x12345678

            is equivalent to this:

            ldr pc, [pc, #0x20] ; literal pool address is 32 + 8 bytes after
            this point

            dcd 0x12345678 ; pc value to load

            Obviously with a fixed-length 32-bit instruction set it is not possible
            to use all the bits for loading immediate data - some will always be
            needed for the instruction encoding. That's the reason we need literal
            pools.

            It's worth pointing out that the ARM can load an 8 bit positive or
            negative value shifted by any amount into a register without using a
            literal pool. But as soon as there are more than 8 significant bits it
            requires the literal pool.

            Regards,
            Simon

            Vasant K P wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > It’s a very basic question,
            >
            > I have read few times about the concept of literal pool, but couldn’t
            > get it , can some one please explain me what exactly it is and how does
            > it help ARM core to load a immediate value?
            >

            > Thanx in advance
            >

            > -vasant

          • vishwa
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
              Thanx simon, was helpfull , very

              Vasant K P wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > It’s a very basic question,
              >
              > I have read few times about the concept of literal pool, but couldn’t
              > get it , can some one please explain me what exactly it is and how does
              > it help ARM core to load a immediate value?
              >

              > Thanx in advance
              >

              > -vasant

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:arm-user-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:arm-user-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Bored stiff? Loosen up...

            • Vasant K P
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007

                Dear Simon,

                Thanx for that reply! There’s one more question: Is this literal pool managed by the core or the compiler? And is the distance of the literal pool is always 32 bytes from the current location of PC? If it in not fixed to 32 bytes then what is the maximum distance allowed from the current PC value?

                Regards

                -vasant

                ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/arm- user/

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/arm- user/join

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
                  Hi,

                  The literal pool is created by the compiler or assembler. It is normally
                  more than 32 bytes away - the maximum distance is set by the load
                  instruction offset's maximum range ldr pc, [pc, #offset] so can I think
                  be 1Kbyte (256 words) ahead or behind the referencing instruction.

                  Regards,
                  Simon

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
                    Thanx Simon