Statement Released on December 23, 2010 by ANHAD

  • Mansi Sharma
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2011
      STATEMENT

      We strongly condemn the malicious and motivated campaign against human rights activists and their lawyers struggling for justice for the victims of the genocidal carnage in Gujarat in 2002.

      The patently false allegations of doctoring evidence are being orchestrated at a time when crucial trials are nearing competition and accused among whom are powerful politicians and policemen face charges of criminal conspiracy and murder.

      The allegations against Teesta Setalvad secretary Citizens for Justice and Peace and the organisation she represents as well as advocate Sohail Tirmizi a lawyer who has fought tirelessly for justice were spearheaded first by the state of Gujarat, then fuelled by a former employee.

      The timings of the malafide allegations are aimed at derailing the course of justice and come at a time when the apex court is poised to hear a complaint of conspiracy to commit mass murder, subversion of justice and destruction of evidence.

      The brazen attempts need to be seen for what they are given the seriousness of the charges against the Gujarat state and its functionaries.

      Dhirendra Panda

      Dr. Harshavardhan Hegde
      Farah Naqvi

      Fr Cedric Prakash sj

[...]