Fwd: Former bandit spearheads Indian state's anti-Maoist war

  • Daniel Mazgaonkar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2010

      From: Michael <mozdam@...>
      Date: 29 September 2010 01:29
      Subject: Former bandit spearheads Indian state's anti-Maoist war

      International press picks up stories like these to show that it is great to take up arms against Maoists.

      Michael

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11420367
      27 September 2010 Last updated at 19:40 ET

      Former bandit spearheads Indian state's anti-Maoist war
      By Amarnath Tewary Kaimur-Rohtas hills, Bihar
      Ram Bachchan Yadav and his militiaMr Yadav has formed his own militia to fight the Maoists (Photos: Prashant Ravi)

      Maoist rebels in the Indian state of Bihar are up against a formidable enemy which does not come in the shape of the army or the security forces.

      A former "most wanted" bandit is now at the forefront of the campaign against them.

      And it seems that the rebels - who say they are fighting an armed insurrection on behalf of rural landless labourers and the poor in more than a third of India's 600-odd districts - are not sure how to respond to him.

      The Maoist insurgency has been described by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as the country's biggest internal security threat.

      Lawlessness

      In the Maoist-controlled hills of the Kaimur-Rohtas plateau in the south-west part of the state Ram Bachchan Yadav - alias Pehalwanji - is a name which spells terror among the guerrillas.

      Map

      Sexagenarian Mr Yadav lives and moves around in the hilly forest tracts where even the most elite forces of Indian police dare not to visit.

      Last month Mr Yadav and his men had an 18-hour long firefight with the Maoists at Rehal village.

      Mr Yadav and his militia of 30-35 members not only forced the Maoists to flee from the area but also captured four of them, including a zonal commander.

      Later, they trekked 18.6 miles (30km) to reach the nearest police station and hand over the captured Maoists and their cache of arms and ammunition.

      So far, Mr Yadav and his men say that they have foiled more than six major Maoist attacks in the Kaimur-Rohtas hills, which were once infamous for lawlessness.

      The father of four - he has two young sons and two married daughters - says his declared purpose in life is to remove Maoists from the Kaimur-Rohtas hills for good.

      'Maoist hit-list'

      "I appeal to all to arise and awake against the Maoist menace... and participate in country's freedom struggle.

      Continue reading the main story

      Start Quote

      Ram Bachchan Yadav

      I'll keep fighting them [the Maoists] till my last breath”

      End Quote Ram Bachchan Yadav

      "We've to fight for our freedom again from the red rebels," Mr Yadav told the BBC.

      He says that the militia he has formed - the Kaimur Shanti Sena (KSS, or Kaimur Peace Keeping Force) - was established to achieve this.

      "With about 20 rifles, 15 double-barrel guns and these young volunteers, I fight the Maoists and have been successfully chasing them away," he says.

      "I believe in myself and the cause I'm fighting for."

      Kaimur district police chief Pradeep Kumar Shrivastva says that Mr Yadav and his team have reduced "insurgency incidents" in the Kaimur hills.

      "He is on top of the Maoist hit-list," says Mr Shrivastva, who says that Mr Yadav is not doing anything illegal.

      "If the KSS operates solely to defend themselves, the law doesn't come in their way."

      There are about 168 villages on the hilly terrain of the Kaimur-Rohtas plateau and the bordering area of the state of Uttar Pradesh. Up until now it has been a safe hideout for the Maoists.

      The police say that the rebels have heavily mined the area so that they are unable to combat them without full preparations.

      "They have often blown up police vehicles, schools and government buildings in the area," Mr Shrivastva said.

      But Mr Yadav has not always been fighting the Maoists.

      Continue reading the main story

      INDIA'S MAOIST INSURGENCY

      Maoist rebels in Chhattisgarh
      • Violent rebellion began in 1967 in West Bengal village of Naxalbari and spread over rural areas of central and eastern India
      • Led by elusive military commander Kishenji, supported by between 10,000 and 20,000 fighters
      • More than 6,000 killed since rebellion began
      • Worst attacks include 76 killed in April 2010 ambushes in Dantewada; 55 killed in attack on police outpost in 2007

      He was released from six years in jail in 1993 and was living a "peaceful life" until the Maoists banned the collection of wood in forests and the grazing of cows for milking purposes.

      He said that this move created "serious livelihood problems" for milkmen of the Yadav caste of Bihar. Yadavs are traditionally farmers who graze cattle.

      Mr Yadav strongly opposed this Maoist diktat and also their abduction in July of 17 Yadav caste villagers.

      They were released only after their guns and other weapons were confiscated.

      Soon afterwards he formed the KSS.

      "I'll keep fighting them till my last breath," he says.

      "Give me more licensed weapons and I'll make Kaimur-Rohtas hills free from the Maoists in a month."

      Brigand

      To hear the story of Mr Yadav's "personal turnaround" first hand - as I did while travelling through the dense forestry that surrounds his village - it's tempting to compare it with any Bollywood movie of the late 1960s and 70s.

      Mr Yadav talking to villagers in south-western BiharMr Yadav has built up a rapport with the local community

      Accused in 104 cases with a huge reward on his head from the central government, Mr Yadav was literally a brigand throughout the 1980s.

      At that time he was the most wanted man not only in the Kaimur-Rohtas area but also in Uttar Pradesh.

      He argues that he took up arms to counter other bandits of the area.

      Whatever the truth, the bloody war between them claimed the lives of dozens of people.

      With all his rivals eliminated, Mr Yadav surrendered in September 1987 and was only released from jail in January 1993.

      He says that he has now been acquitted in 101 of the 104 cases against him - and the remainder are "false".

      But the strong likelihood is that no-one dares to give evidence against him in a court of law.

      "I'm forced to take up guns to fight against the Maoists and those who are with Maoists are my enemy," he says.

      It seems as if the authorities could do with all the help they can get.

      The state police record says that out of a total of 38 districts in Bihar, 31 are Maoist-affected - and 20 of them, including the Kaimur-Rohtas area, come under the "most sensitive" category.

      In the last five years, Bihar has had 56 Maoists attacks in which 125 policemen were killed.

      Only last month the rebels killed seven policemen, injured 10 and abducted four of them in an incident which saw the state government effectively held to ransom for a week.

      More on This Story

      Related stories

      --
      Let craft, ambition, spite
      Be quenched in Reason's night,

    • V.B.Chandrasekaran Balasubramaniam
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2010

        Former bandit spearheads Indian state's anti-Maoist war

        Dear friends and comrades,                                          30th September 2010.

        Why not BBC speaks and writes about the various Peace initiatives being initiated to bring Peace through talks between the Maoists and the Government. The following news-item with the above caption coming from BBC is highly disturbing to Citizens who value and pride in our Democracy, with all its faults.

        Is there any design to thwart Peace talks???!!!

        We fully understand and appreciate the pitiable predicament of Democratic Government to control extreme and perpetual violence and insurgency. We also understand creeping demoralization among the police when given the challenge to maintain law and order within democratic frame work. But, Indian Government cannot abdicate her responsibilities to govern democratically even in highly trying times. Since Independence , we have been successfully thriving and flourishing in spite of so many insurgencies. We have a rich legacy of Gandhi, Vinobha Bhave, JP and others. We cannot allow people to take LAW INTO THEIR HANDS and say they are correct.

        Let us not nurture future Bindrawales in people like Mr.Yadav. Such initiatives give hints to those who desire anarchy in this country. This is a highly dangerous portend.

        We appeal to Sri. Chidambaram- Humble Home Minister of Government of India to immediately stop this patently illegal means against constitution of India . .

        Instead do kindly make an active persuasion towards talks. We the Patriotic Citizens are with the Government. We have for good decided that talks are the only option to resolve all issues with Pakistan . Let us not further derail the fondly expected Peace talks between the Maoists and the Government.

        We also appeal to Swamy Agnivesh and others with access to power to advice the government not to indulge, tolerate and encourage such illegal actions.

        V.B.Chandrasekaran

        People’s Peace and Prosperity Mission,

        Dandakaranya SAHYOG Ahimsa Yatra.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2010

          Dear Friends,                                                                 1st October 2010.

          Instead, can we invite him- Ram Bachchan Yadav - alias Pehalwanji - the “Bandit in Bihar to listen to us at the National Peace Conference in Dandakaranya. It is at Chatti, the invitation is enclosed.

          Taking the risk of being called “mad” may I appeal to those who do it, do communicate and pursuade him to join in our Convention. It will be a big leap towards Peace. It is our valid and valued experience that known and visible criminals are far more honest than invisible criminals. Let us make him an asset. It is a valid question if STATE would allow this hijacking. But, we can if we are serious.

          Mr. Ram Bachchan Yadav - alias Pehalwanji - the “Bandit whose name spells terror among the guerrillas in the Maoists will with a difference can be a Mahatma and terrorise the Guerillas.

          Looking forward to some strong peoactive response.

          V.B.Chandrasekaran.