Mr Sanjay Pandey- IPS and future politician

  • Amitabh Thakur
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2009
      Friends,

      I came to know of Sri Sanjay Pandey, an ex IIT Kanpur graduate and an IPS officer of Maharashtra (1986 batch) and his topsy-turvy ride in the police service. I also came to learn about his actions and visions which I found certainly different from the usual run-of-the-mill stuff.
      One of his interviews, on Rediff.com, I found particularly impressive. More so because here was a rare person who openly said that he wants to join politics. When the person who probed the shoe scandal, in which supposedly millions of rupees meant for cobblers were allegedly siphoned off by politicians, bureaucrats and shoe manufacturers, says in no uncertain words- "I want to be a politician. It will happen", all my good wishes seem to flow for this man, who is honest to himself and to the world. More often than not I have seen people including many retired and serving IAS and IPS officers saying they have nothing to do with politics and the very next day they come and join one political party or another. And this openness and frankness where even after the results of the elections are over, a politician is usually seen coming up with statements like- "Let us wait and watch. We have all options open."
      Again look at another of his statement- "Then I realised that being a government servant is like being a servant only." How many of us are frank enough to openly admit a fact that is so brazenly true.
      It is this openness and frankness of this person, along with his work at Dharavi, which really made a huge impact upon me. The same thing was said in a 26 May 2003 report of the Mumbai Times of India which said- "Ten years after he came into the limelight by his deft handling of the post-Babri communal situation in Dharavi, Sanjay Pandey wants to return to Asia's largest slum." It also added- "Mr Pandey, from the 1986 IPS batch, is still remembered in Dharavi as an officer who sided with the poor and did not hesitate to arrest anyone who he felt was in the wrong."
      But then the newspaper report also deftly added- "Several of Mr Pandey's friends are surprised by his decision as they feel he is too straightforward to be a politician." To this the Article quotes Mr Pandey- "People say I am being foolish, but I will say I have dared to do what others only talk about,''.
      I salute this frankness, openness and straightforward nature. One rarely finds such kind of open and straight-forward behavior coupled with such daring and pro-public/pro-poor acts quite too often.

      Amitabh Thakur
      IPS,
      IIM Lucknow
      # 94155-34526
    • civeterans
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009
        Dear Amitabh,
        It is good to see the views of an IPS officer, who himself is different from the usual run-of-the-mill stuff.
        here are few points to ponder.
        1.Isn't it correct that we remain on diatribe against politicians and they remain our favourite whipping boys. Whether it was Jessica case or Priyadarshini mattoo case,Nithari or Arushi case, Batla House or Mumbai massacre, Khairlanji or Ruchika every where, we have been failed by our elitist I.P.S.
        2.It is the prime duty of leadership to prepare its institution to deal and perform, in which IPS leadership has completely failed its police fraternity(Those who perform at Police station level).
        3.What is the status of 25 IPS officers who were placed under suspension for corruption in recruitment in UP.This very corruption lays the foundation of cases like Jessica and Ruchika.
        4.The intake system in police as IPS that we have in India, is no where in the world including UK,USA,NZ,Australia, these are all democracies.
        5.Isn't it fact that IPS system is remnant of colonial India and retrograde for democracy.
        6.IPS leadership did not work to improve its own police institution but has began on aretrigrade journey of militarisation of Indian police, being copy cat is easy and it is in our blood to be copy cats. example is begining of Formation signs on arm of police uniforms,Flags and star plates on cars is just an example.
        7.What attracts professionals like Doctors and Engineers to IPS is not the service of the Nation but the "power" that is felt more when misused and absued. "Money" in abundance that is illgotten and at the end we can conveniently blame everything on POLITICIANS.
        8.It has got everything to do with training at NPA, the value system that is being inculcated there has made its product vulnerable to petty temptations of wine,women and wealth and outcome is injustice with hapless people through instant justice of fake encounters for demonstrative performance to deviate the attention of public and further it leads to the scandals and criminalisation of entire police in India, because the product of IPS is uniformly distributed. May it be Kanwar Pal Gill or SPS Rathod or RK Sharma or millionaire Virk,or Vanjara, they are unfortunate to have been exposed.
        9.Which police rule or part of CrPC allows political interference in operational independence of police, quote me one ? It is big propaganda!
        10.Fact remains ! It is the people who perform and not the laws but in the form of people what we have is IPS. Doing the samething again and again and expecting different results is called insaity. and that's what we have been doing.Every time enacting new laws but the people will remain same , remnants of colonial era.

        I am feeling bad for my strong phraseology but it is my frustration, how many more Ruchikas,Jessicas,Nitharis,Khairlanjis,1984s,2002s.
        We have nothing to worry form external threats, enemy is within.
        wake up! good officers must continue to serve and reform own fraternity of incorrigible IPS officers.
        Thanks