Our PM on Corruption-An observation

  • Dr.V.N. Sharma
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27 2:01 AM
      Dear All,

      The link here provides you with the content of speech by PM to State Env Ministers on 18th Aug. 2009.

      I refer you to this Para "I wish to draw your attention to the view that environmental clearances have become a new form of Licence Raj and a source of corruption. This is a matter that needs to be addressed head-on. There are trade-offs that have to be made while balancing developmental and environmental concerns. But the procedures must be fair, transparent and hassle free. Decisions must be taken within a specified time."

      In my long years I have not understood the style and modus operandi of the PMs and Govt authorities all over informing the Public about existence of corruption in the Govt Offices or inefficient functioning of their offices followed by calling upon people to combat corruption. This has been a long standing fashion not only in India but in the US too.  Read a story in the link below.

      How does this statement of PM guarantee that there will be no corruption by Govt. agencies or by another set of norms given to the Govt depts. It is a well known Mgt theory that either replace the infamous horse (read corrupt) in the mid-stream or change the course to divert attention. Corruption is eating into the vitals of this country much more than anything in this country incl the Naxal infection about whom our PM is more preoccupied.

      In my view PM is proposing relaxation in the EC Rules so that it becomes a formality when he says in the same Para "There are trade-offs that have to be made while balancing developmental and environmental concerns. But the procedures must be fair, transparent and hassle free. Decisions must be taken within a specified time."

      Thus 'he is changing the course' because the set of people, who are corrupt according to him, working with him are time tested on corruption and he cannot change them. It may be noted that it is the men behind the EC tables who are corrupt not the Rules.

      --
      Dr.V.N.Sharma
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dr.V.N.Sharma

      "Those who have the privilege to know, have the duty to act." Albert Einstein

      "The only thing necessary for Evil to Flourish is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

    • Prof.Kalluri S.Rao
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 27 9:50 PM
        In India we cannot stop corruption.For that matter it cannot be stopped anywhere with the difference corruption is corruption. there is no component of any gratitude or reward. Corruption has become a dragon eating into the resources and economy of the country.

        In  fact there is a simple way of measuring he prevalence of corruption in the country.

        In booking a railway ticket, the class of tickets that get exhausted first are the AC 2 tier !
        followed by AC 3 tier and it gtoes on in that direction. Where is the money coming from ?
        Indeed if we have so many people who can afford to travel by AC 2 tier, then we can have half the train as AC 2 tier only .

        Similarly, go to a movie theatre, a restaurant the AC type are flooded with people . Some times it makes me so happy that the economy of the country is growing so well. But a friend of mine alerts me saying this is not an economy that has grown but this is an economy that results out of corruption which means there is another side of nation paying for it and suffering..

        KSRao

        Prof. Kalluri Subba Rao., Ph.D., D.Sc.(IISc),FAS-AP, FAMS., FNASc., FNA.  Hon.Professor & INSA-Senior Scientist,Center for Biotechnology, Institute of Science and Technology (IST) , Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kukatpally, Hyderabad-500085. Email:ksrsl@..., ksrbrain@...

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 29 11:36 AM
          dear sir i am from hyderabad
          i do agree with u on the question of corruption.
          and i believe, u would agree that the so called liberalisation is only institutionalising the currupt practices.
          SEZs is an institutionalisation of curruption, lawlessness and extreme exploitation.
          the present right to Education Bill waiting for the signature of the president of india is another instance of institutionalisation of lawlessness.
          it leagally allows private institutions to fix fees as they feel it fit.
          please sign against the bill
          pl find an encloser

          with regards
          ramesh patnaik
          member, sectratariat,
          All India Forum for Right to Education

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 29 8:19 PM
            Thank you Dr. Sharma for launching this discussion on he PM's speech
            on corruption.

            Role Models crisis in India is where we should start. Edmund Burke
            said something like this, "Mankind learns its lessons only at the feet
            of examples and from nowherelese".

            How one wishes the CBI resolutely refused to be manipulated/controlled
            by the unseen powers and hidden exploiters and brought out the simple
            truth on the Bofors scandle specially.

            --
            Niketu Iralu
            "Whispering Pines"
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 29 8:41 PM
              Continuation by Niketu Iralu (niketuiralu@...) - If in cases
              like Bofors case the truth is never allowed to be investigated
              properly and so never brought out, because the people who are clearly
              supected of some mischief or impropriey are 'more-equal-than-others'
              VIPS / VVIPS than how can the rest of "the lesser breed" watching it
              all be expected to pay the price for being truthful and incorruptible?
              The high and mighty in Delhi must realize that they are truly living
              out their lives on a huge stage that Shakespeare talked about, and a
              billion people across the vast land are watching all their actions and
              drawing conclusions.

              Rahul Gandhi will become the Gandhi of the other category we all know
              if he were to let the truth, nothing but the truth, come out on what
              exactly happened in the Bofors story. Otherwise he may succeed because
              of his convenient family name (Nehru + Gandhi !) up to a point, but
              the respect for his moral authority he needs to lead this huge land
              will be lacking. He can shake up the nation if he allows the truth to
              win, as the slogan on the Ashoka Pillar declares. Will he go far
              enough because truth is more important to him than the position he
              humanly wants to enjoy?

              Niketu Iralu,
              Kohima,
              Nagaland.

              --
              Niketu Iralu
              "Whispering Pines"
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 29 8:48 PM
                A short suggestion.

                CBI or anybody else- corrupt or non-corrupt, criminals or sadhus -all are made of the same materials. So no guarantee of how and when who will act in what way. I believe in the awareness and resolution/ determination of the general mass (>90% of India's population) to stand and act against such wrong forces operating in the society in different garb. The only way for our clean survival can be keeping the people awake and alert.  Our business as intellectuals will be to keep them informed and alert against such mischiveous act of whosoever he is-PM, Other Ministers, Govt Managers, Bureaucrats, Political leaders, Capitalists, Education mafias, businessmen, hoarders, black marketeers, smugglers, criminals or corrupt individuals and collective.

                vns

                --
                Niketu Iralu
                "Whispering Pines"

                --
                Dr.V.N.Sharma
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dr.V.N.Sharma

                "Those who have the privilege to know, have the duty to act." Albert Einstein

                "The only thing necessary for Evil to Flourish is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

              • Abdul Qureshi
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 30 1:57 AM
                  Dear Dr Sharma,

                  Thank u for this email. It's nice to see this short speech by PM. At least he shows intention to have clean deals. But only speech is not enough. There has to be a strong motive to establish clean systems and monitor them. Is he taking any concrete steps in this direction? There are hardly any govt department who is not corrupt and I am sure he is well aware of it. Every individual would like not to bribe anyone if he can get his work done officially without delays and delays. The entire system is designed to continue corrupt practices and one can hardly escape it.

                  My request to PM and all top official is to act on it, than just saying it. Hope to see clean India in near future.

                  Regards

                  Abdul Qureshi

                  --
                  Niketu Iralu
                  "Whispering Pines"

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 30 6:26 AM
                    Dear Niketu Iralu,

                    I felt a lot discouraged by your high expectations from Rahul Gandhi. It was very similar honest looking approach from Rajeev Gandhi named by our Journalist friends as Mr. Clean which ended with Bofors. Now is the time when one should try to find an alternative way out. If we become so permissive on corruption and just keep nagging with a declaration that nothing can be done about corruption any more then our existence will be difficult, in fact impossible. I request you to please rub it off.

                    vns

                    --
                    Niketu Iralu
                    "Whispering Pines"

                    --
                    Dr.V.N.Sharma
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dr.V.N.Sharma

                    "Those who have the privilege to know, have the duty to act." Albert Einstein

                    "The only thing necessary for Evil to Flourish is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

                  • Ananya Guha
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 30 9:58 AM
                      The issue of corruption has become so endemic that we have now become immune to it. The question is how less or more corrupt one is!!

                      Ananya S Guha.

                      --
                      Niketu Iralu
                      "Whispering Pines"

                      See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
                    • Sauquat Hussain
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 30 10:49 AM

                        Respected Elders and Dear Friends,

                        Some say, there is corruption,

                        Some say, we have become immune to it.

                        Some say, we have to live with it

                        Some say, the leaders are to be blamed

                        So many people and so many perspective

                        Yet we realize the damage of the wound.

                        Than, why not heal the wound ?

                        Let us all put our honesty forward and lead the path to be the change ….

                        To heal the wound of corruption TOWARDS a clean INDIA.

                        Sauquat

                        +91 98642 05052

                        skype: sauquat

                        Be-the-Change---Gandhi-Magnet-C1175

                        The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified, that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply and destroy all copies of the original message.

                        href="mailto:Email%253Aksrsl%40yahoo.com" target="_blank">Email%3Aksrsl@...>,

                        target="_blank">vnsh44@...>
                        >>> Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 2:31 PM
                        >>>
                        >>> Dear All,
                        >>>

                        >>> The link here provides you with the content of speech by PM to
                        State Env
                        >>> Ministers on 18th Aug. 2009.
                        >>> http://www.outlooki
                        ndia.com/ article.aspx?
                        >>> 261361<
                        target="_blank">http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?261361>

> [...]
                        >>> country incl the Naxal infection about whom our PM is more
                        preoccupied.

                        >>> In my view PM is proposing relaxation in the EC Rules so that it
                        becomes
                        >>> formality when he says in the same Para "There are trade-offs
                        that have
                        >>> be made while balancing developmental and environmental concerns.
                        But
                        >>> the
                        >>> procedures must be fair, transparent and hassle free. Decisions
                        must be
                        >>> taken within a specified time."
                        >>>
                        >>> Thus 'he is changing the course' because the set of people, who
                        are
                        >>> corrupt
                        >>> according to him, working with him are time tested on corruption
                        and he
                        >>> cannot change them. *It may be noted that it is the men behind the

                        >>> http://en.wikipedia
                        .org/wiki/ User:Dr.V.
                        >>> N.Sharma<
                        href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dr.V.N.Sharma" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dr.V.N.Sharma>

                        --
                        Niketu Iralu
                        "Whispering Pines"

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 30 7:03 PM
                          Dear Dr. Sharma,

                          I think I understand what you are saying. By all means erase what I have said.

                          What I have said was that if Rahul will say Bofors story should be
                          addressed properly, as it is linked to his family and he is offering
                          to be a leader of India, he will certainly be starting something in
                          the right direction. I have mentioned Rahul because he is going to be
                          there and the Congress Party is going to depend entirely on him to
                          plan for their future. Let's face it a good deal of the masses go wild
                          whenever he, his mother and sister appear before them because of their
                          colour, names, and heritage, etc. So if he will go far enough to be
                          ethical, moral in order vto be a statesman, instead of being just
                          another charismatic politician on feet of clay, he will do much.

                          Of course you may just say I am just pathetically naive? Also I know I
                          am not puting it across properly. It will take such a lot of time for
                          me to do it.

                          Best wishes from a supporter of your fight,

                          Niketu Iralu,
                          Kohima, Nagaland.

                          --
                          Niketu Iralu
                          "Whispering Pines"
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
                            Dear All
                            I am happy that we have started discussion on corruption.What I believe corruption is not the end product,it's basically manifestation of different socio-economic,cultural .religion imbalance.
                            When we have huge differences in supply and demand system,corruption gets its foothold.
                            When we do not nurture social and ethical value in our children ,corruption get chance to spread its root to everywhere.
                            We term simplicity and honesty as stupidity in present day!!.We try to find excuse for our corrupt practice.Corruption for five hundred ruppes or five crore rupees,for me,it's the same and there can not be any excuse for this.

                            I am not fully agree with Prof. Kalluri Subba Rao,people going by AC class or going to good restaurent does not (necessarily)mean that they have earned the money by corrupt practice.
                            In any particular train, 2AC berths are less in numbers than general Sleeper class berths.And if you go to the road side dhabas/hotels in any place you willl find the crowd.May be the profile of the crowd is different!
                            But by no means I am saying that rich people are not corrupt!What I want to say corrupt people are everywhere irrespective of their class,caste,creed,gender and so on.
                            Regards
                            sanjib kundu

                            Things do not change; we change

                            --