Enjoy

  • ASHOK ROW KAVI
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4 11:23 AM

      Missionaries of Charity: Tying Infants to Beds is \"Educational\"

      http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=10697

      By Sujoy Dhar, Kolkata
      newkarala.com

      Responding to a British TV film showing physically challenged infants tied to beds, the Missionaries of Charity (MoC) says it takes the steps sparingly and only for the child\'s safety and \"educational purposes\".

      \"Physical restraints are used only when absolutely necessary for the safety of the child and for educational purposes for limited periods of time,\" said Sister Nirmala, superior general of MoC, the order founded by Nobel Laureate Mother Teresa in 1950.

      In its programme to be telecast Monday, Britain\'s Five News said it had uncovered \"serious shortcomings\" at a care centre run by MoC in Kolkata.

      British TV reporter Donal MacIntyre secretly filmed many of the 59 children aged between six months and 12 years at Daya Dan, a care centre set up a year after Mother Teresa\'s death in 1997, \"tied by their ankles to their cots at night, restrained while being fed and left up to 20 minutes on the toilet by their care givers\".

      Sister Nirmala told IANS: \"Our homes continue to be simple, providing immediate and effective service to the poorest of poor. We continue to provide all that is necessary for the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of those under care and would continue to improve the quality of our care.\"

      \"We thank you for bringing to our notice what you consider lapses in the quality of care and hygiene in this home. We value constructive criticism and admit there is room for improvement,\" she said.

      She said only those who work day in and day out with these 59 very special children really know both the demands to total self-forgetfulness as well as the joy at the littlest response and improvement in these children.

      \"Dedication, love and care is something money cannot buy and this is the reason our dearest Mother Teresa encouraged people to give not just out of their abundance but their hearts of love and their hands to serve.\"

      Sister Paula Marie, who runs Daya Dan, said: \"We would not do any such thing at all for no specific reason.\"

      \"These are cases where a child has been found putting food into the eyes, face and mouth with both hands, leaving caregivers with no alternatives to tie his or her hands with a piece of cloth for the time the child is fed.\"

      Journalist Donal MacIntyre dubbed what he filmed at Daya Dan as unacceptable behaviour saying: \"This is unacceptable in Russia, that is unacceptable in Romania, that is unacceptable in England - and it is unacceptable in Kolkata.\"

      MacIntyre said: \"Missionaries of Charity received millions and millions of pounds in donation and they must do better.\"

      MOC runs more than 750 care centres across the world tending the orphans, sick, destitute and dying.

    • pallavi sharan
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5 7:55 AM

        My greetings to all the readers of this forum.

        Before i start with my concern i would like to introduce my self in brief. I'm a social psychologist and have post graduated from the University of Delhi 4 years back.Since then i'm working in the developmental sector,with special emphasis on women and girl child.My focus has been on the reproductive health of women, family planning and sexual abuse of the girl children.

        All these years that i have spent in the field interacting with women (rural and Urban) i have come upon an understanding that creating awarness among women on the issues of sexuality, right over their mind and body etcetra, alone is not fair enough. Yes, im talking about the men folk who are the "other" significant half of our society.

        The debate about women's empowerment was initially limited to the elite, which did not make sense to or effect the masses. Then it was taken up by the groups of people who thought it was their duty to empower the women folk. Now I'm interested in this group, as we all are a part of this agenda and also support it in our own right.

        All the while that this agenda was being formulated and reformulated and new ones were coming up half of the population of this earth (men folk) and a significant number of women folk were ignorant about all such debates. My concern is how do we also sensitize women and at same time the majority of men folk?

        When ever i have spoken to women on issues of empowerment i have done so with a sense of guilt. The women have conveyed to me that the men are

        a)sceptical of women attending these awarness or trainning programmes

         b) what ever they (women folk) are acquainted with at these programmes do not make sense to the men folk

        c) even if they (men folk) understand they do not want to act upon as it gives  a threat to existing patriarchcal power structure.

        We need to SENSITIZE both men and women together and not any one group in isolation. I need you all to come up with practical and workable suggestions to make our womens' empowerment drive more meaningful and sensible.

        looking forward to listening from all the sensitive people out there.

        Regards,

        Pallavi Sharan.

        How much free photo storage do you get? Store your friends n family photos for FREE with Yahoo! Photos.
        http://in.photos.yahoo.com
      • Shveta Verma 'Myra'
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6 12:49 AM
          Hi Pallavi,

          Your mail makes absolute sense. Not only are rural women sufferers of men's apathy, even urban india is not as enlightened. The best way to make men be more sympathetic towards women is to make MEN give some gyan to MEN. Because as it is men dont give importance to women and if women start imparting ''values'' to men, they will get offended.

          According to me, what is needed is more MALE activists. The first step, in itself, is to make male activists recognise this ''issue'' as a problem and take it forward from there.

          Best

          pallavi sharan <pallavisharan18@...> wrote:

[...]

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • khalid jamal
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6 2:46 AM
            Dear Sweta,

            You are right.But let me say that men and women are equal but they are not same.

            Let's acknowledge this and move ahead without bothering who can give gyan to whom and how effective will it be..

            Shveta Verma 'Myra' <emancipated_free@...> wrote:
[...]

            ONE LIFE. ONE SHOT.

            Happiness, Health & Peace,
            Syed Khalid Jamal

            Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messages
            Only in Yahoo! Mail: http://in.mail.yahoo.com

          • cyda@vsnl.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6 3:19 AM

              Dear Pallavi

              CYDA is a youth developmen organisation working  among young people all over India. Ever since its inception our focus has been to work with both males and females. We have been successful in developing a module called " Stepping Stone" with support and collaboration with Action Aid and it is being used very well in almost all the districts of Maharashtra and want to extend to other parts of India. This is a program organised separately for males and females and finally sharing  takes place jointly. This create a lot of opportunity for reflect and action. If needed we can provide you with a lot of information with regard to it. www.cydaindia.org

              Mathew Mattam

              CYDA

              > My greetings to all the readers of this forum.
              >
              > Before i start with my concern i would like to introduce my self
              > in brief. I'm a social psychologist and have post graduated from
              > the University of Delhi 4 years back.Since then i'm working in the
              > developmental sector,with special emphasis on women and girl
              > child.My focus has been on the reproductive health of women,
              > family planning and sexual abuse of the girl children.
              >
              > All these years that i have spent in the field interacting with
              > women (rural and Urban) i have come upon an understanding that
              > creating awarness among women on the issues of sexuality, right
              > over their mind and body etcetra, alone is not fair enough. Yes,
              > im talking about the men folk who are the "other" significant half
              > of our society.
              >
              > The debate about women's empowerment was initially limited to the
              > elite, which did not make sense to or effect the masses. Then it
              > was taken up by the groups of people who thought it was their duty
              > to empower the women folk. Now I'm interested in this group, as we
              > all are a part of this agenda and also support it in our own
              > right.
              >
              > All the while that this agenda was being formulated and
              > reformulated and new ones were coming up half of the population of
              > this earth (men folk) and a significant number of women folk were
              > ignorant about all such debates. My concern is how do we also
              > sensitize women and at same time the majority of men folk?
              >
              > When ever i have spoken to women on issues of empowerment i have
              > done so with a sense of guilt. The women have conveyed to me that
              > the men are
              >
              > a)sceptical of women attending these awarness or trainning programmes
              >
              > b) what ever they (women folk) are acquainted with at these
              > programmes do not make sense to the men folk
              >
              > c) even if they (men folk) understand they do not want to act upon
              > as it gives a threat to existing patriarchcal power structure.
              >
              > We need to SENSITIZE both men and women together and not any one
              > group in isolation. I need you all to come up with practical and
              > workable suggestions to make our womens' empowerment drive more
              > meaningful and sensible.
              >
              > looking forward to listening from all the sensitive people out there.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Pallavi Sharan.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > How much free photo storage do you get? Store your friends n
              > family photos for FREE with Yahoo! Photos.
              > http://in.photos.yahoo.com
            • Sultan Ibrahim
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6 10:56 PM

                From Dalit Voice www.dalitvoice.org

                D.V. THEORY SPREADS TO NEW AREAS
                Caste-wise budget allotment impresses BC commission
                OUR CORRESPONDENT

                Bangalore: The president and members of the Karnataka Permanent Backward Classes Commission of the State Govt. invited our Editor here for a discussion on his ingenious proposal for "caste-based budget allotment" on June 28, 2005. (DV July 1, 2005 p.3: "Caste-based budget allotment to caste-based economic planning to ensure social justice").

                Chairman Siddagangiah and three other members present liked the Editor's idea and said once the just started caste-wise census operation results came it would be easier for them to push the idea further.

                Karnataka takes lead: The Editor's point was since India lived in its villages where the society continued to be entirely caste-based, the people had greater faith and security in their caste rather than the govt.

                "People find better democracy and security within their caste. Right now, not even 10% of the funds allotted to different schemes are reaching the people. Because the officials entrusted with funds distribution did not belong to the caste of the beneficiaries. Once the funds are given to the respective caste association, at least 90% of the fund will reach the beneficiaries. The caste leaders may eat 10% of the funds. But the caste people will tolerate such a misuse because even the misused funds have gone to their own jati leaders. If the leaders eat more, they will even be beaten up. To that extent democracy is practised within a jati".

                The Editor said the Constitution of India gave lot of autonomy to the states which were at liberty to decide their own methods of development to suit their needs.

                Karnataka became a pioneer in the country by ordering a caste-wise census which would bring out the shocking results of the decay and slow death of many Backward Castes. The upper castes were opposing caste-wise census only because of this reason. The Karnataka's bold step would encourage other states to follow the example.

                Once the caste-wise census was over, the next step for the Commission was to push for caste-wise budget allotment.

                The chairman and members said they were much impressed by the Editor's "caste identity" thesis outlined in the book, Caste — A Nation Within the Nation, (Books for Change, Bangalore, Rs. 140). They said the Commission would make a serious study of the book.

                The commission asked the Editor to go round the country and meet BC Commissions of different states to push his "caste identity" thesis. The Editor assured the Commission that the thesis had already received wide acceptance except from the upper castes and of their stooges. We need not bother about this opposition, he said.

                Meanwhile, the Federation of the Backward Castes of Karnataka headed by J. Srinivasan has decided to organise a day-long seminar on the Editor's book.

                Yahoo! Mail
              • syed shah
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6 10:56 PM
                  Dear Mattews,
                  yes its a good idea.
                  how can associte with it.
                  grds, Afzal shah.

                  cyda@... wrote:

> [...]

                  > the men are
                  >
                  > a)sceptical of women attending these awarness or trainning programmes
                  >
                  > b) what ever they (women folk) are acquainted with at these
                  > programmes do not make sense to the men folk
                  >
                  > c) even if they (men folk) understand they do not want to act upon
                  > as it gives a threat to existing patriarchcal power structure.
                  >
                  > We need to SENSITIZE both men and women together and not any one
                  > group in isolation. I need you all to come up with practical and
                  > workable suggestions to make our womens' empowerment drive more
                  > meaningful and sensible.
                  >
                  > looking forward to listening from all the sensitive people out there.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Pallavi Sharan.
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > How much free photo storage do you get? Store your friends n
                  > family photos for FREE with Yahoo! Photos.

                • CYDA
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 8 6:58 PM
                    Dear Afzal Shah

                    You can associate with the  program by way of attending the Master Training program. The master training program is held in three lanaguage at present. English, Hindi and Marathi. This is being held through out the year. The hindi training progam just ended in June. This is a ten day training program. Once you attend this ten day training progam you can initiate the training in the respective places. We advice only those people who attend the training take up the further training of people. If you are interested let me know we will keep in touch with you and invite you for the training. since it is 10 days training we charge a small fee.

                    Mathew

> [...]

                    > the men are
                    >
                    > a)sceptical of women attending these awarness or trainning programmes
                    >
                    > b) what ever they (women folk) are acquainted with at these
                    > programmes do not make sense to the men folk
                    >
                    > c) even if they (men folk) understand they do not want to act upon
                    > as it gives a threat to existing patriarchcal power structure.
                    >
                    > We need to SENSITIZE both men and women together and not any one
                    > group in isolation. I need you all to come up with practical and
                    > workable suggestions to make our womens' empowerment drive more
                    > meaningful and sensible.
                    >
                    > looking forward to listening from all the sensitive people out there.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Pallavi Sharan.
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > How much free photo storage do you get? Store your friends n
                    > family photos for FREE with Yahoo! Photos.

                  • Manish Tewani
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 9 4:18 AM
                      Dear all,

                      Continuing the discussion to involve men also along with women in the intiatives to arrive at a gender-equasociety;  I fully agree with it. Most men live with a stereotype of masculanity that makes their lives difficult (without them realising the fact) and at the same time, not allowing them to be treat both the genders equally. It becomes very important to talk to men about this phenonmen, inform that these notions of masculanity - which do not adhere to basic human rights are enforced upon them  - and tell them that there are alternatives to this masculanity.

                      Infact, there are initiatives in our country which work with men to make them aware about dimensions of 'Alternative Masculanity'. One of them which I came across because of my work is Men's Action for Stopping Violence Against Women'; Central Secretriat - C-1485, Indira Nagar, Lucknow - 226016, U.P. India. Tel: +91-522-2341319, 2310747 (O) E.mail - masvaw@..., satish@.... I had met Mr Satish Kumar Singh, Covener of this network.

                      Pallavi - you could contact him and get a list of lots of other resources whom you could invite to be a part of your women's empowerment process. Also as it has already been stated, it would be good to have separate trainings of men and women initially and then bring them together in a follow up training. As per me, this should work quite well in rural areas; especially when the men and women in the groups are husband-wife.

                      I do not know whether I made sense, hope something was helpful out of the above.

                      With best wishes,

                      Manish