Tips for Writing Public Emails for Ark Foundation Internet Discussion Forum

  • Ark Foundation
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Dear Members and Supporters of Ark,

      We use the Ark Internet Discussion Forum (Arkitectindia) as a media to transmit information about, and promote, Ark Foundation's activities as a Social Action Group, and share our thoughts and expertise about social development directly related to Ark's activities. It may help other social action groups in improving their programmes and in the same way we can improve our activities. I'm aware that for some of you, the Ark Discussion Forum is also a virtual location to hang around and feel part of something, which is great!

      Lately, there has been a high volume of emails discussing a broad range of subjects. While these topics - e.g. Islam, Hinduism, communalism, secularism, Marxism, terrorism, and general chit chat - are often interesting, it takes us away from our focus as a community-based development organisation.

      To remind you, Ark's focus areas are:

      1. Primary Education

      2. Health-Currently we are conducting workshops and
      awareness campaign on "Reproductive Health and
      Family Planning"

      3. Women and Child Care

      4. Environmental awareness

      5. Promoting village development through agency of
      people (local folks/villagers themselves)

      6. Creating and managing collective village resources

      The two key PROJECTS which fall into these categories are the development of Ark High School in Kataila village, Ghazipur district, Uttar Pradesh into a fully fledged primary and secondary school, and Reproductive Health workshops for rural women.

      TIPS:
      I thought these tips might help to keep our discussion board focused and helpful to our cause as a fledgling Social Action Group. Here are a few things that you might want to remember:

      · Discussion Forums:
      Discussion Forums are more prepared and thoughtfully presented than Internet chat rooms, and serve as a written record of our organisation's interactions. Discussions might contain a brief flurry of posts, or an extended dialogue that may take weeks or months to run its course, as has happened in the past.

      · Purpose of Ark Discussion Forum:
      To develop and improve the activities and voluntary efforts of Ark Foundation and members as well as to promote communication between staff, volunteers, members and supportive individuals. Within this guideline there are other potential uses, from sharing research and practice information and updates between Ark and other individuals and NGOs, recruiting volunteers, promoting a project, fundraising for an activity or project, reporting on recent workshops and activities, and hosting topical discussions on issues directly related to Ark Foundation activities. As such, emails are expected to be relevant, concise and professional.

      · Purpose of the Moderator:
      The Ark Discussion Forum Moderator has the ability to exert editorial control over the discussions by removing unwanted posts, adding or deleting users, or creating additional discussion topics, and generally facilitating the growth of the discussion forum.

      · Avoid Email Overload:
      People on mail lists are used to reading tons of emails a day. Without careful selection and good 'promotion' of your points, your email may not be posted or read. Things that may help get your message across and encourage stimulating debates are:
      - a simple yet effective email title/subject header
      - be clear why this issue relates to the organisation's
      goals and objectives on education and reproductive health etc.

      Thank you for reading this. I welcome any comments you may have, and I look forward to the continuation our Internet Discussion Forum. Please mail your comment and suggestion before August 15, 2005 so that we can include your ideas and experiences in moderating the e-forum (Arkitectindia) from August 16, 2005.

      We are open for comment, criticism and suggestion. Please be generous in criticizing us so that we can develop a proper understanding before starting moderatig the e-forum mails properly.
      Remember most of the active members of Ark are JNU students. It will be highly beneficial for individuls and social action groups working in different field. It is here we request the experienced and learned member of this e-forum to kindly comeforward to guide us for maximum utilisation of arkitectindia for the cause of sustainable development. I repeat, the last date to email your comment and criticism to run the e-forum properly is August 15, 2005. I hope the new intellectuals will get feedback accordingly.

      Kindly follow the link to know more about Ark Foundation:

      Shaheen Ansari, Ph.D.
      Programme Coordinator
      Ark Foundation
      www.arkindia.org.in
      Phone: +919868740449,9868701491,9312838170

      ---------------------------------
      Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messages
      Only in Yahoo! Mail: http://in.mail.yahoo.com
    • Shveta Verma 'Myra'
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
        Hi,

        This is Shveta. Hope u have been receiving ''Saturday Light'' editions. I started this edition on recommendation of a friend and the response so far has been great. I understand perfectly well that the different groups interacting via Daily South Asian have a foundation base of ''serious issues'' regarding all kinds of maladies facing the human race.

        I presume that we are all concerned and mature individuals but i also presume that we all have a side which wants SOMETIMES to pander to our ''lighter, personal'' feelings hence ''Saturday Light''. Hope you don't ''edit/delete'' it from reaching your group.

        Best always,

        Shveta

        Ark Foundation <arkitect95@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Sneha Singh
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
          Hi,

          We understand that we are mature and can discuss anything related to humanity but not at tha cost of hurting anyone an dusing unparliamentarian languages. This group is formed with group of intellectuals and it is for the issues which are related to society and humanity. Nor much with the one's which drag the issue of Politics as we are not politicak forum.

          We invite more and more suggestions and discussions on education, healthy, eradication of poverty, envionrment, women issueshwich is for thier empowerment-relted to law etc. We understand that every siscussion is good and if it is healthy then its always good to know othe's ideas but once we get into those we forget our basic goal. We (arkitects) do not want to forget our goals or even deviate for that matter.

          We hope our members would always raise issues of healthy discussions related to our goal. We need your help and support in that.

          Regards
          Sneha Singh
          Shveta Verma 'Myra' <emancipated_free@...> wrote:
[...]

          Secretary
          Ark Foundation
          www.arkindia.org.in
          Phone: +919868740449,9868701491,9312838170

        • meher engineer
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
            Dear Dr Ansari,

            I did not seek to enter this Forum; I think someone suggested my name to the people at JNU who run it. I have two points ro make

            i) I do not read all the stuff in the Discussion Group. But when I tried responding to a write up, by Farhat Naz (I think that is the correct name), about the difficulties faced by Muslim children in getting an education I was "electronically" told that I could not do so. I guess some registration is needed. Pl. guide me on how I can respond to what I read, when I want to.

            ii) As to the current row, If Ashok Row Kavi actually wrote "*******" without spelling the word out then he was being as silly as the people who introduced the phrase "expletive deleted" in the famous Watergate tapes of President Nixon. Abuse, however impolite, is something that happens all the time e.g., in the Maharashtra Assembly when the new, "Dance Girls" Bill was being discussed. But no moderator can allow it to overwhelm everything else. He has to be a bit like a Chairman at a turbulent meeting, but his job is easier because there are no spoken arguments in cyberspace. Perhaps he should warn people when he thinks they are stepping out of line, once or twice, and, if they persist just expe him from the Group. In a country where expulsion- of children from school - still happens, such an expulsion cannot be considered unpardonable.

            wirh reagrds,

            meher engineer.

            PS I hope this gets to you

[...]

          • sonali mohapatra
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005

              Dear Shena and the group

              I agree with Ark's concerns. The discussions are encouraged however, we had agreed to join this forum knowing that it will be focused on issues of education, health,women etc. I think the reminder is welcome.

              I personally get a lot of information from the resourceful group here and let me add any kind of information is welcome and intrested groups can still continue to debate in a smaller group.

              Regards

              Sonali Mohapatra
              Co-Coordinator
              Network of Asia Pacific Youth (NAPY)

            • left_s_right
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                Hi,

                I think the moderator should use his power of discretion more often in
                deciding which message to be made public and which may not.
                Thanks.
              • Debdulal Thakur
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Dear friends,
                  Its a good effort to initiate a discussion forum like this. I personally think that we can initiate debate on several topics. if anyone has relevant issue in mind , it may be opened to us for analysis. But, one should refrain using abusive words. Well, what do you, my dear friends, think about the relevance of 'indigenous knowledge system' i present day?
                  Best,
                  Deb

                • lila Ram
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005

                    I fully support Sneha Singh. We should not loose the sight of the aim and objectives of this group. Maintaing 'decorum' and remaining focused is every one's responsibility.

                    regards

                    lila

                    lila

[...]

                    Find just what you're after with the new, more precise MSN Search - try it now!
                  • Sultan Ibrahim
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005

                      Religion with a difference
                      Exclusive
                      Goodbye to rituals

                      Five lakh people to join new religion in Maharashtra to fight Brahmin domination

                      By DNYANESH JATHAR/Osmanabad

                      When children his age frolic in the barren fields, three-year-old Meghraj Kadam is perfecting his lessons in the religion his family will embrace early next year. A native of Bhat Shirpura village in the drought-hit Osmanabad district in Maharashtra, Meghraj greets visitors by saying 'Jai Jijau' instead of the traditional 'Namaskar'. The expression hails Chhatrapati Shivaji's mother, Jijabai. "I am not a Hindu, I am a follower of Shiv Dharma," Meghraj explains on being prodded by his father, Janak. The family swears by Shiv Dharma, the new religion which is expected to give an impetus to the 'Brahminetar' (non-Brahmin) movement in Maharashtra.

                      Swearing by Shivaji: Atul Gaikwad (left) with a Sambhaji
                      Brigade activist (above)

                      Last year, 15 marriages took place in Bhat Shirpura. The couples opted for a community wedding ceremony to save money, said Atul Gaikwad, the 20-year-old district president of Sambhaji Brigade. The Brahmin priest of the village temple was not invited, and Marathi slokas replaced Sanskrit ones. Bapu Joshi Mangrulkar, the priest, has since gone back to his village, and the puja at the temple is being performed by a youth from the Gosavi community. "When Shiv Dharma is launched, 50 of 63 villages in Kalamb tehsil will side with us," said Atul, who figures among those accused of vandalising the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute, Pune, where American James W. Laine researched for his controversial book Shivaji: A Hindu King in Islamic India.
                      So what is Shiv DharmaÑjust another religion or a revolutionary concept that aims at creating a casteless society? Being promoted by Maratha Seva Sangh (MSS), will it remain confined to the Maratha community or become a platform where all progressives can come together to promote rationalism rather than ritualism?
                      The seeds of Shiv Dharma were sown at the Tuljapur convention of the MSS, an organisation dedicated to the uplift of the Maratha community, in 1998. "A need was felt to reject slavery forced on the masses by the varna-based societal structure," said Gangadhar Banbare, MSS functionary and Sambhaji Brigade spokesperson. "The representatives felt that Hinduism in reality is a Brahmin religion. Nearly 6,000 castes and 72,000 subcastes have been enslaved by this Vaidic religion."

                      Purushottam Khedekar, an executive engineer in the state Public Works Department, founded MSS in 1990 to work for the social and economic uplift of the Maratha community. MSS has since penetrated deep into the bureaucracy, with senior IAS and IPS officers among its members. It has 30 wings, including the militant Sambhaji Brigade. It also has a Jijau Brigade for women, which promotes entrepreneurship, and a literary wing which runs magazines like Shiv Dharma and Jijau Sandesh.

                      According to Dr Suhas Palshikar (left), eminent political commentator and author, Brahmins are seen as proponents and protectors of varna-based society.

                      "Sambhaji Brigade is a non-political organisation for youth from non-Brahmin communities including Muslims," said Anant Chondhe, Marathwada division president of the brigade and an accused in the vandalism case. Chondhe and others are unrepentant about the incident, saying that it was aimed at teaching a lesson to 12 Brahmin historians who had guided Laine. "This is not Laine's brain but of those who provided him the information," said Chondhe about the book's comments on Jijabai.
                      Why is there so much resentment against Brahmins in rural Maharashtra? Baba Divte, a former Akhil Bharatiya Sena activist from Osmanabad, considers this a bread-and-butter issue. "Brahmin priests charge big amounts for religious ceremonies and pujas," he said. "While we eat bhakri (jowar roti), they eat ghee every day spending the money they take from us."

                      The Brahminetar movement was started by social reformers like Mahatma Phule and Chhatrapati Shahu, the reformist king in the pre-Independence state of Kolhapur. Phule's attack on the varna system and his efforts to educate the backward classes and women, including Brahmin widows, set the ball rolling. King Shahu followed it up by reserving a quota for the backward classes in education and jobs.

                      When Sambhaji Brigade stormed the Bhandarkar Institute on January 5, they were shouting "Yeh to kewal jhanki hai, Shaniwar Wada baki bai (This is just a start, Shaniwar Wada is our next target)". There is a school of thought in Maharashtra that Shaniwar Wada represents the 'Peshwai' (the culture of Peshwas, who were Brahmins) as against Shivaji's 'Swarajya' (kingdom of commoners). This school holds the Peshwa reign responsible for the downfall of Maratha supremacy. In fact, Sambhaji Brigade activists like Chondhe call Shaniwar Wada 'the first dance bar in Maharashtra where nautch girls performed'. Incidentally, the state CID Intelligence said in a recent report to the Bombay High Court that defamatory remarks against Chhatrapati Shivaji and his mother Jijabai in Laine's book could perhaps be part of a Brahmin conspiracy.

                      Together for a cause: Anant Chondhe (fourth from left) with
                      his colleagues

                      According to Dr Suhas Palshikar, eminent political commentator and author, Brahmins are seen as proponents and protectors of varna-based society. "In Maharashtra, there is a domination of Brahmins in the intellectual and cultural fields; so, in some sense, the aspect of Brahmin domination is correct," he said. "The historical memory of Brahmin domination is strong in Maharashtra. In the Maratha community, there is a feeling of usurpation of the Maratha legacy by Brahmins."

                      Brahmins are easy to target because they constitute merely 3 per cent of the state's population. "Anti-Brahmin sentiment is strong among upper Marathas, and they have used it to gain control over lower Marathas," Palshikar pointed out.

                      The simmering discontent has crystallised in the form of Shiv Dharma. "Brahmins will not be allowed to embrace Shiv Dharma," said Purushottam Khedekar. "Hinduism has become a slave to Brahmanism. Why do we have so much atrocities against women in our society? It is because of the influence of Vedic and Brahmanic concept of religion. In Shiv Dharma we want to treat all as equals. From birth to death we have been tied down to some or other Brahmanic ritual. Hence there is a strong need for a new religion for the 'Bahujan' community."

                      Khedekar asserted that their embracing Shiv Dharma cannot be termed as conversion. "Hinduism is not a religion, it is a way of life," he said. "So it will be wrong to say that we will be converting. We just want to form our religion."

                      Shiv Dharmics will celebrate Dashratra Utsav in memory of Jijabai and Savitribai Phule (Mahatma Phule's wife) instead of Navratri. Shiv Dharma will have no place for caste, festivals like Gudi Padwa (Maharashtrian New Year) and rituals like Satyanarayan puja. If Hinduism has Saraswati as the deity of learning, Shiv Dharma will worship Savitribai, who started the first school for girls in Maharashtra. The reigning deity of Shiv Dharma will be Jijabai. It will have its 'Dharmapeeth' (headquarters) at Sindkhed Raja in Buldhana district where Jijabai was born. A Rs 11,000-crore project called Jijau Srishti is coming up at Sindkhed Raja.

                      Shiv Dharmics will observe Shiv Jayanti as its main festival; instead of Diwali they will celebrate a festival in the name of Bali, a just and pious king who, as the legend goes, was banished to the nether world by Lord Vishnu who appeared as Vamana, a Brahmin. On the same day they will burn Vamana in effigy. Shiv Dharma will encourage community weddings and programmes like 'one village one wedding day', and run anti-addiction campaigns, libraries and gymnasiums in villages. It is estimated that five lakh people will embrace Shiv Dharma on January 12, 2005, when it will be formally launched. The tenets of Shiv Dharma are being written by Dr A.H. Salunkhe, a scholar-philosopher.

                      Palshikar views Sambhaji Brigade and its activities as a temporary phenomenon which could be used by political forces. According to him, Shiv Dharma may not be able to make any new ideological contribution, but it can be of advantage in the politics of the Maratha vote bank. "It will lead to distancing of the Bahujans from the Dalits, and add a new dimension to the caste conflict in the state," said Palshikar.

                      The whole issue seems to have divided the Maratha community to an extent. A well-known Maratha scholar chose not to speak when The Week contacted him. "I have decided to keep quiet till the elections get over. If I speak now unnecessary conclusions will be drawn," he said. Silence, in times of political strife and elections, can be golden.

                      Religion with a difference

                      F Anyone who is not a Brahmin can join Shiv Dharma
                      F There will be no place for caste, festivals like Gudi Padwa (Maharashtrian New Year) and rituals like Satyanarayan puja
                      F Shiv Jayanti will be the main festival
                      F The reigning deity will be Shivaji's mother, Jijabai
                      F Dashratra Utsav will be celebrated in memory of Jijabai and Savitribai Phule (Mahatma Phule's wife) instead of Navratri
                      F Savitribai, who started the first school for girls in Maharashtra, will be the deity of learning
                      F Instead of Diwali, a festival in the name of Bali, a just and pious king will be celebrated
                      F Community weddings, anti-addiction campaigns, libraries and gymnasiums at village level will be encouraged

                      Yahoo! Mail
                    • Sankrant Sanu
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 10, 2005
                        Can anything that is fundamentally based on hatred and opposition to another group last? Ultimately these groups are colonial offsprings of the "evil Brahmin" theory and it does not like like they have any positive agenda of social harmony or progress.  This is the same group that vandalized the Bandarkar Oriental Research Institute and burnt Sanskrit manuscripts on the flimsy ground that James Laine had researched there.