INVITATION- A Critique of the India-US Accord

  • cndpindia
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2005

      INVITATION

      A Critique of the India-US Accord

      The recent “New Framework Agreement on the India-US Defence Relationship” in conjunction with the Accord signed between Manmohan Singh and George Bush in Washington in late July 2005 have been widely seen as path-breaking developments in the fields of Indian defence, nuclear energy and foreign policy making and behaviour. What are the implications for the future of the Indian nuclear energy sector? As a nuclear weapons power which way is India heading and what are the prospects if any of moving towards global nuclear disarmament? What are the strategic implications regarding the tie up with the US? How does it impinge on US ambitions to be a global hegemony?

      The Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace (CNDP), India is organizing a panel discussion to present a critical perspective on the Agreement and the Accord that has otherwise been widely welcomed in many circles and in much of the mainstream media.

      Date & Time: 28th July, 2005, Thursday; from 4 PM to 6 PM

      Venue:  Private Dining Hall, 1st Floor, India International Centre (Main Building and Gate), 40  Max Muller Marg, New Delhi-

      Panelists       Siddarth Vardarajan, Deputy Editor of The Hindu

      Praful Bidwai, one of India’s most widely syndicated columnists

      Achin Vanaik, Professor of International Relations and Global Politics, Delhi University.

    • Sultan Ibrahim
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2005

        Women in Maharashtra State Assembly Debate

        When the dance bar bill got debated in the house some of us had been present to listen to the debate. This is what we witnessed!!!!!!!!

        "Isha Koppikar. she is an atom bomb, attttom bomb."

        "chutiyas . bhadwas.." [filthy abuses]

        "..these women who dance naked, they don't deserve any sympathy"

        "...these women loot men and destroy their houses .. "

        " these women who are opposing the ban, we will make their mothers dance.."

        These seem like statements from some sleazy dialogue that the roadside taporis indulge in.

        Very sadly, these are statements made by our people's representatives on the floor of the house in the Vidhan Sabha. This was the third last day of
        the monsoon session. The contempt that was shown to all women in this session was appalling. The last comment is on all women's groups who had
        opposed the ban. What we have produced here is only a sample. Throughout the discussion, across party lines, the elected members made such comments while ostensibly passing a bill to protect women's dignity!

        One representative narrated an incident of his
        friend's daughter who had committed suicide because she did not get a job. He said it was more
        dignified to commit suicide than dance in bars. The
        house applauded. How the representatives of people can applaud when a young girl commits suicide when it is their anti-people, anti-women and anti-job growth policies that make them lose their means of livelihood in the first place, is a matter of grave concern.

        As women's organisations of Maharashtra, we are
        extremely angered by the insensitivity and anti-women statements and atmosphere in the house. The undercurrent of the comments and discussions was pornographic and obscene and was greeted with laughter and sniggering by the predominantly male House. So much for protecting the Constitutional mandate of protecting the dignity of women.

        Women are more than 50% of the voters of this state. The utter disregard to the feelings and dignity of women exhibited by our so-called representatives is disgusting and needs total condemnation.

        Signed by:

        Forum Against Oppression of Women
        Majlis
        Awaaz-E-Niswan
        Akshara
        India Centre for Human Rights and Law
        Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes
        LABIA

      • divya mithel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2005
          Dear all, This in response to the attitude of our representatives in the Maharashtra assembly.I would say that the representatives are very ordinary citizens a day before the election. The day they win election they occupy the most responsible seat in the Assembly. But their mental status obviously remains the same. we should have  more learned and socially more responsible women in the Assembly.Otherwise these half -literate lots elected in the name of some Party are just going to make the mockery of the whole Democratic process and the digity of women will remia only a dream for us!

          Sultan Ibrahim <sultanofpeace@...> wrote:

[...]

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • divya mithel