Lalu World’s Best Railway Minister

  • Ravinder Singh
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2008
      Lalu World’s Best Railway Minister

      There are three things to be considered.

      First is performance, there is no railway system in the world that has reduced tariff and fares substantially but still doubled revenue in five years. I forgot to tell in earlier message, last month Shatabdi train fare was only Rs.500 that had ABB 6000 HP Locomotive and new Alstom coaches compared to Rs.560 for nearly 40 years old Diesel 2600 HP Locomotive which rusty equally coaches during Nitish Era. Accounting for inflation it would be Rs.700 at today’s price.

      Second is political support- he has around 20 members of parliament in a house of over 540- none support him from heart yet he achieved such dynamic performance.

      Third he has very ordinary qualifications but still he was able to push brilliant ideas in to practice CUTTING THROUGH WORLD’S BIGGEST BUREAUCRATIC 1.6 MILLION ORGANISATION.

      Walter has described the progress of Indian Railways very well except that First Class fare in passenger train was much cheaper than AC Chair Car of Rajdhani trains and AC First Class fare in Rajdhani is three times the First Class fare in passenger trains.

      Actually there were two classes of trains earlier, passenger and Mail/Express trains.

      Rajdhanis when introduced had 140 kmph speed which was reduced to 130 kmph after accidents for some time and peak Shatabdi speed is 150 kmph.

      This year Railways will manufacture 450 locomotives in horse power would be equal to 700 locomotives of Nitish era and 20,000 wagons.

      Ravinder Singh February29, 2008

      Posted by: "walter.nesrc@..." walter.nesrc@...
      Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:29 am (PST)

      That the railways have made progress after independence is beyond doubt. Till the early 1970s there used to be three classes. First class was very expensive and very few could afford it. Second class had seat reservations and third class was fully unreserved. Third class seat reservations were introduced in the late 1950s and three-tier sleepers in the early 1960s. AC was introduced for the first time with the two Rajdhanis sometime in 1967 or 1968. We were scared to know that these two trains would run at 75 km per hour. We considered it extremely dangerous. Third class was suppressed and turned into second class in the early 1970s, I think it was in 1972. Speed has improved enormously. Today the maximum speed is 150 km. Punctuality too has improved though it is not perfect.

      However, the Railways still have a long way to go and I believe that they need to do more. For example, only a few trains have regular wireless communication with the nearest railway station. So we are continuing with the old system of telephoning from one station to the other. The trains have been computerised. So the industrialist who has sent his goods by train can find out in which station the bogey is but one does not have ongoing communication with the train and that has led to many accidents. For example, when a bogey caught fire between Jamshedpur and Kolkata, none could inform the driver or the guard. Only recently a telephone has been introduced between the guard and the train driver. Secondly, we have not invested much in the system that warns an incoming train if there is another train on the same track. I think it is called an interlinking system. Accidents can be avoided through ongoing communication and the interlinking system. Thirdly, we cannot justify dirt in our stations by saying that it is a slow process. By pointing out these problems I am not saying that things have not improved. I give full credit to the railways for it. I am only saying that more can be done. We may use the latest technology but we seem to be neglecting second class facilities meant for the lower middle class and concentrating of AC meant for the better off sections.

      Walter Fernandes

    • Ananya Guha
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
        I agree with Walter's views.His write up is also very
        informative and thanks to him.The first is that
        sanitary conditions should be improved, the toilet
        facilities especially in the 2nd class are still not
        up to the mark.Cleanliness in the 2nd class apartments
        should still be further improved.They have certainly
        improved, but more needs to be done.Also I feel that
        cyber cafes and telephones should be available at
        moderate rates, so that they are accessible to the
        common man.

        Ananya.S.Guha.

        Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html