Petition on Singur

  • EMPOWER INDIA
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      Dear Friends,

         Ref :
      http://www.petitiononline.com/singur/petition.html

      You are probably aware of the recent move of the West
      Bengal Government
      acquire multi-crop lands at Singur and the ongoing
      agitation of the
      local
      farmers against this take over.

      We, a group of scientists from various research
      institutes have
      personally
      visited the area and it is beyond any doubt that the
      earmarked lands
      are
      extremely fertile and vast majority of those grow
      multi-crops through
      out
      the year as captured in the documentary film “ Abad
      Bhumi” (Right to
      Land)
      prepared by a group of research scientists from the
      Center for Studies
      on
      Social Sciences (CSSS), Kolkata. This move is going to
      render more than
      ten thousand (10,000) local inhabitants including
      farmers,
      sharecroppers
      and daily labourers jobless.

      The proposed small car factory (modern automated)
      cannot accommodate
      the
      dislodged farmers and at best can provide few hundred
      jobs, mostly to
      highly skilled personnels.
      This will have serious consequences,  not only social
      and political
      unrest, but
      also ominous environmental and ecological imbalance.
      Despite protests
      from
      various corners, the Government is vehemently trying
      to bulldoze the
      ongoing movement through brutal police repressions and
      arbitrary
      arrests.

      In view of this, we express our concern to the
      Governor.  We would like
      request you to kindly circulate this mail as much as
      possible and
      endorse
      our online petition to the Governor hosted at

      http://www.petitiononline.com/singur/petition.html

        Thanking you
        Abhee K. Dutt-Mazumder
      * PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION BY VISITING THE WEB
      ADDRESS ABOVE *
         PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS MAIL

      Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics
      High Energy Physics Division
      1/AF Bidhannagar, Kolkata-700 064, INDIA
      Phone : +91(0)33 2337-5345-49/(5 lines), Ext. 2129
      FAX : +91 (0) 33-2337-4637

      Forwarded by :
      ----------------------------
      Yours in Global Concern
      A.SANKAR
      Executive Director
      EMPOWER.
      107J / 133E, Millerpuram
      TUTICORIN-628 008
      INDIA
      Telefax: 91 461 2310151
      Mobile:  094431 48599
      www.empowerindia.org

           EMPOWER is  a  Non-profit,  Non-Political, Voluntary and Professional Civil Society Organisation .

      - Registered in the year 1991- Engaged in developmental work for the past 15 years in Southern Tamil Nadu.