Invitation: AIDS INDIA e FORUM

  • Joe Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2005

      AIDS-INDIA eFORUM

      An electronic forum for Information and communication on HIV/AIDS related issues in India.

      ·       Would you like to receive daily (4-5) e-mail messages about HIV/AIDS situation in India?

      ·       Are you interested in receiving AIDS related information such as new studies, policy documents, conferences, jobs, grants, funding opportunities, training programs, and comments on policy and program issues?

      ·       A valuable source of information on research, data, field experience and networking opportunity for HIV/AIDS related issues in India

      ·       A peer to peer network, connecting  ‘who is who’ of HIV/AIDS related work in India

      ·       A MUST joined FORUM, If you are serious about your HIV/AIDS work in India!!.

      Take a trial subscription and see what you have been missing!

      More than 2,300 members have already joined this forum.

      INTERESTED?

      To join this FREE e-forum  please send a request message to:

      AIDS-INDIA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    • nupur bhatnagat
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2005
        Quoting  bobby@...:

        > UP's first network of HIV+
        people Hindustan Times, March 8,
        2005 ****************************** (For monthly updates, please
        send an email to join-aidscarewatch@... and
        'reply' to the email you get thereafter) UTTAR PRADESH now has its
        first network of people living with HIV The group, Positive People for
        Care and Support (PPCS), launched on World AIDS Day (December 1) last
        year, has 63 members. And, sixty per cent of them are women, aged
        between 30 and 40 years. Ninety per cent of these women have already
        lost their husbands to the deadly virus. PPCS president Anil Kumar
        Singh, who was in Lucknow on Saturday and Sunday to attend a national
        consultation meet of the World Social Forum, told Hindustan Times that
        only 14 members had come out in the open; the remaining
        said they wouldn't like their identities to be disclosed. "In fact,"
        he added, "one of them, a woman, even addressed the media during
        the PPCS launch. She lost her husband a year back and her elder son
        six months ago to AIDS. Her second child, also a boy, is also
        HIV+". Singh, who is based in Kushinagar district, also became
        the organisational partner with AIDS Care Watch www.aidscarewatch.org
        , an international campaign aimed at
        `staying alive with HIV' until every positive person had an access
        to the anti-retroviral drugs (ARVs). (The campaign has about 100
        organisational partners like PPCS.) Singh, a law graduate from
        Allahabad University, said he was inspired to form a network of HIV+
        people during his visit to Thiruvananthapuram in 2003 to participate in
        a national network of sex workers. "I had earlier been to Kolkata in
        2002 to take part in the 'Anandostav' and seen how people living
        with HIV lived life with dignity." He was in charge of Uttar Pradesh
        and Madhya Pradesh for conducting a baseline survey of red light areas
        in the north India a few years back. During his interaction with sex
        workers in the two states, he came across many people infected with
        the virus. "We had been fighting for the rights for sex workers. I
        realised why not work for the HIV+ people to get them some rights,
        too." PPCS, said Singh, is an attempt to provide care and support to
        people living with HIV and save them from getting stigmatized for the
        infection. "It appears unlikely that ARVs for all sex million (who
        need them)-or 'universal access' will be achieved before at least
        2008." In the interviewing years, many people who need the drugs today
        will fall sick and die, and be replaced by further millions as they
        too progress to the stage where ARVs are needed. In order to keep
        these millions alive while waiting for ARVs access, care, support,
        treatment, including readily available non-ARV medicines, he
        said. The network wants to ensure comprehensive care and support-like
        better nutrition and availability of drugs to treat opportunistic
        infections, and remove stigma for them within the health settings-to
        all HIV +ve people in the State. PPCS also wants to establish a home
        for these people. Source: 8th March 2005, Hindustan Times. For
        monthly updates, please send an email to
        join-aidscarewatch@... and 'reply' to the email
        you get thereafter -- This email has passed
        through an IE Internet MailWall gateway and has been screened for known
        viruses, potential viruses and malicious code. IE Internet.com
        MailWall (http://ieinternet.com/mailwall/) -- please dont these
        mails to me.i am not interested in them. thank you
      • Choudhary S. A . Azad
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2005

            The entire threat oriented AIDS awareness programme is a market strategy pushed vehemently by the companies that wants to create a flux of consumers for contarceptives. And it is a known fact that more deaths occur due to occupatonal disease like silicosis, asbestosis, bisnosis and other occupational hazards.
          Why is it that there is no emphasis on opions to prevent AIDS other than the purchase and use of contaceptives.
          S A Azad.

          On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 Joe Thomas wrote :

          >AIDS-INDIA eFORUM
          >

          >An electronic forum for Information and communication on HIV/AIDS related issues in India.
          >

          >·      Would you like to receive daily (4-5) e-mail messages about HIV/AIDS situation in India?
          >

          >·      Are you interested in receiving AIDS related information such as new studies, policy documents, conferences, jobs, grants, funding opportunities, training programs, and comments on policy and program issues?
          >

          >·      A valuable source of information on research, data, field experience and networking opportunity for HIV/AIDS related issues in India
          >

          >·      A peer to peer network, connecting  ‘who is who’ of HIV/AIDS related work in India
          >

          >·      A MUST joined FORUM, If you are serious about your HIV/AIDS work in India!!.
          >

          >Take a trial subscription and see what you have been missing!
          >

          >More than 2,300 members have already joined this forum.
          >

          >INTERESTED?
          >
          >To join this FREE e-forum  please send a request message to:
          >

          >AIDS-INDIA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • Annie Romanos
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19, 2005
            I understand the cynicism of those who might bemoan that there is an unjustified spotlight on HIV/AIDS in India, when in fact there are hundreds more pressing public health concerns, such as malnutrition (particularly among the girl child), malaria, gastroenteritis, cholera (associated with unsanitary conditions due to poor waste management), alcohol abuse, and domestic violence, including of course those concerns listed by S.A. Azad.

            Although AIDS only accounts for less than 1% of deaths among India's population, it is true to say that because of the poverty levels, the lack of education surrounding the disease, and the social norms and gender inequalities which exist, there is every potential for the disease to reach epidemic proportions if not acted upon.

            It only takes one infected man to then infect his wife/partners. Generally the wife or sexual partner has little say whether, when and how they have sex, and whether protection is used, and does generally not have the 'right' to question her husband or partner about his activities. In turn, she may be infected, and may then pass the infection on to her unborn child.

            Contraception is the most economical and arguably easiest way to prevent AIDS across cultures. Although promoting contraception itself entails changing social norms and attitudes towards sex, it is the path of least resistance and the preferred option to, for example, promoting abstinence or empowering women in a patriarchal society.

            However, I don't believe there is any substitute for addressing some of the more systemic causes of AIDS, such as the attitudes and behaviour of women and men which impact negatively on their own and their families well being, and of course ultimately poverty.

            So I think there is good reason for public funds and international aid money to address HIV/AIDS prevention through promoting contraception, even though, indeed, pharmaceutical companies may have a vested interest in expanding their market.

            For some statistics on HIV/AIDS in India, go to the UNDP's HIV/AIDS web site:

            Some of you may be aware that Ark have run a number of sexual and reproductive health workshops with women. In the absence of these workshops at the present time, I am keen to see sexual and reproductive health introduced to the Kataila school curriculum, and any other Ark educational programmes, such as those running at Dhapo Colony, to ensure that young men and women are educated about sexual and reproductive health in a gender equitable fashion, so we can prevent HIV/AIDS from the bottom.

            Annie (New Zealand)