[Mission Bhartiyam] Article: The Badaun case and the conspiracy of the upper-caste

  • Ravi Nitesh
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 16, 2014

      On , Ravi Nitesh <ravi.nitesh@...> wrote:

      On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 10:07 AM, Ravi Nitesh <ravinitesh@...> wrote:

      Respected All,

      Our core member Ms Devika wrote an article on the caste factor in the Badaun rape case and the hypocrisy of the upper-caste to deny it. Inviting your thoughts on it. Kindly email any feedback to missionbhartiyam@...

      By Devika Mittal
      The tragic badaun case wherein two Dalit girls were gang-raped and their bodies were hanged from a tree has created an uproar in the Indian public sphere. There are widespread protests, regular media reports and debates on this case. It has also found 'concern' internationally. It has managed to touch upon the 'sensibilities' of the upper caste urban Indians but not without their hypocrisy.
      While they are 'sympathetic' and consider this as 'tragic', they sniff over the mention of the caste of the victims. Why to mention the caste? How is it relevant at all? I see people even condemning the newspapers for mentioning the caste. "Shame on you for mentioning the caste. Every rape case is equally tragic", "Don't promote caste system!”
      I find that while they find it 'tragic', they are not ready to 'accept' it as a case exposing the shameful reality of caste-based discrimination. They demand to see them as "victims", as "human beings". They even argue that a victim is a victim irrespective of her caste, class and they say it with a sense of pride, with a self-declared sense of being ‘fair’ and ‘just’. I find this tragic as it shows that how they are so privileged and so alienated from that reality that for them, mentioning the caste is unnecessary, that caste is a non-issue. They, who do not experience caste system as victims, fail to understand or imagine the caste factor here. They see caste only as "politics", as "a debate about reservation" and nothing else. They are not able to imagine that how there is a strong link between caste and rape. Rape is used as a weapon by upper or dominant castes to assert their identity on the underprivileged castes. They are ignorant that this is among the few cases of caste-based violence that has managed to get the attention of mainstream media and is witnessing such a widespread ‘outrage’. They are ignorant that such cases especially of sexual violence against underprivileged caste women are a common reality of this caste-based society.
      If some of them do also 'acknowledge' this caste-based discrimination, they regard it to be a 'tragedy' of rural India. They feel 'sad' and condemn it to be so 'unprogressive', showing a 'bad picture of India'. Caste is a horrible thing, they would argue. We are all equal. This is such a strong conviction that it ends the moment they get to know that their friend is from a "reserved" category. This strong conviction lasts when their parents struggles to find a suitable match for them.
      This apathy and ignorance towards caste shows how deeply-rooted the caste system remains. They are unable to see the caste factor not because it is just a political tool but because they are privileged enough to see it as a non-issue. As the dominating section, they are alienated from the lived experience of the underprivileged castes. They cannot see caste because they do not experience it as victims. While there is a section among the upper-caste urbanites who think it is nice to say that caste system is absolutely unprogressive and should be done away with, there are also those who though condemn the discrimination but uphold the caste system. This bunch of the self-declared ‘liberals’ are convincing people to believe that caste system was nothing more than a division of labour based on consent. The problem was when it became arbitrary and binding. They refuse to believe that the caste system in its core is inhuman. We are still a deeply casteist society. What ‘modernity’ seems to have added are these contradictory views and this new level of alienation achieved by the upper-caste urbanites. They not only neglect the caste issue, they are not even able to ‘recognise’ it. But the reality remains intact. By ‘denying’ caste in the Badaun case, they are ‘denying’ the social reality of caste-based violence.
      (Views expressed are personal)
      Sincerely
      Ravi Nitesh
      Mission Bhartiyam

    • subhashini ali

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2014
          Even the PM is said to have opined in one of his speeches (produced as a book?)that the dalits must have chosen to do the work of cleaning public and others' private spaces out of a sense of spiritual calling. It is true for every class of victim. It is the women who would be made to feel sexual harrasment, while the same acts based on her vulnerability would be unnoticeable to the men. Likewise, only a member of any kind of minority would be able to feel the anxiety due to an environment which would otherwise seem like a natural attribute of the respective majority.

          --
          Firoz Ahmad
          B-8, Neelkanth - 1
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 17, 2014
            The rape and subsequent hanging in public, with two policemen allegedly involved in the heinous crime, of two teenaged girls in Badaun is of course utterly disturbing and disgusting.
            The two girls are, however, not Dalits. They apparently belong to the Maurya Shakya caste - from the so-called bottommost layer of the OBC, while the alleged culprits belong to the Yadav caste - occupying a higher rung in the OBC caste ladder.

            Sukla

            On 17 June 2014 11:29, Ravi Nitesh ravi.nitesh@... [arkitectindia] <arkitectindia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            Peace Is Doable
          • Sankara Narayanan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2014
              Why such treatment is not reserved for upper caste girls even if they are poor?
              Caste discrimination in India is as horrible and in many cases more horrible than economic discrimination.

              Class is a mobile caste; caste is an immobile class.

              If a census is taken in jails, the vast majority of convicts and accused will be from the lowest castes.
              80% of STs, 65% of SCs, 50% of OBCs and 35% of upper castes are BPL. Class elsewhere is caste here.

              No progress or equality is possible if caste & class are not attacked simultaneously.

              Can the dead body of an educated & rich Dalit go to the upper caste masani?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2014
                Mr Sukla has correctly pointed out that the victims in the crime in Badaun were not from a caste usually seen as dalit. While this observation would definitely make an important element of the caste-based analysis infructuous in this particular instance, the broader comments that sexual attacks and violence is often based on the power dynamics between local groups to which the criminals and the victims respectively belong to would still seem to be relevant. Of course, we can not assume to know every detail of a crime reported in the media. Likewise, I feel the need to improve upon a statement where I restricted myself to the often invisible but widespread power of different kinds of majorities. A quick look at both history and contemporaneous societies tells us that it is very often numerically smaller groups - technically minorities - who wield immense oppressive power over others. This is not just tied to their control of brute force in the form of the state but also owes itself to the phenomena termed as Hegemony in social sciences. The priesthood is one example, the big capitalists and their corporations another.

                --
                Firoz Ahmad
                B-8, Neelkanth - 1

                Message 8 of 8 , Jun 20, 2014
                  Dear Com Subhashini,
                  Yes comrade you are right in pointing rightly the caste status of the unfortunate girls.I also pointed out this to one of earlier communications. Although, there should not be any discrimination for getting justice on the basis of caste but it is also appropriate to mention about the caste identity rightly. There were some overenthusiastic  women groups and a section of media who were constantly mentioning the victims as Dalit girls as if to prove that only Dalit women are the victims of patriarchal and class-caste violence. Dalit women are the worst sufferers from sexual violence but women from other extremely economically and socially backward sections( specially the lower sections of OBC and Muslims) are also facing such violence both at the working places and also within the families  very badly. Progressive forces must try to work for uniting women from all these vulnerable sections so that they get empowered to fight against all forms of violence from powerful sections and the state.Strengthening  of the women  is the key factor in abolishing sexual violence and all forms of violence that persist in our class-caste divided society and this can only be achieved through organized manner. Left wing womens' organizations have to take the lead to bring everyone closer if not getting united immediately.
                  It is also heartening to know that AIDWA is taking an initiative to organize a conference on Women's land Right ,with active participation from the academics. We would very much like to be part of this process as we are already active on this critical issue.
                  comradely
                  Ashok

[...]

                  C/O Vikalp Social Organisation
                  11, Mangal Nagar