Fwd: Comments on your article.

  • Ujjwal K Chowdhury
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2014

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Ujjwal K Chowdhury <ujjwalk.chowdhury@...>
      Date: Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM
      Subject: Comments on your article.
      To: prafulbidwai1@...

      As for the AAP, it must reinvent itself not as a political party, but as a political movement which offers new forms of participatory activity not narrowly focused on corruption or “crony capitalism”. The AAP must practise what it preaches – transparency, political honesty and inner-party consultation. It’s the lack of these that aggravated the AAP’s crisis, leading to Shazia Ilmi’s and Yogendra Yadav’s resignations, and to Arvind Kejriwal’s discrediting as an egoistic, unreliable leader.

      The AAP must not shy away from ideology. It must link ‘crony capitalism’ to communal-neoliberal authoritarianism. The BJP embodies all these and is the main enemy. Rather than concentrate excessively on the coming Delhi Assembly elections, the AAP must join a broad-based national campaign against neoliberal Hindutva-capitalism. That’s the way forward.

      Prafulji,
      We have met a few times, I have high respects for your progressive thoughts and writing.

      However, I feel your assessment of AAP is wrong. All inner party issues are getting sorted out as you can see. Shazia will also come into the party. There were too many things in too short a time and hencei some issues.

      And, now Operation Vistaar they have taken up is the RIGHT step at this time, and the focus must next be on DELHI for sure, with some participation in Haryana and Maharashtra polls as well. Along with it, furthering of the organization in Punjab, and having a positive role in Lok Sabha, specially on the follies of the Central Govt.

      If AAP comes back to power in Delhi, a fast growth will again happen.

      You are a voice of progress. thanks
      UKC
      Mumbai

      --
      Prof Ujjwal K Chowdhury
      Senior Education & Media Consultant, Delhi, Kolkata & Kathmandu.

      --
      Prof Ujjwal K Chowdhury
      Senior Education & Media Consultant, Delhi, Kolkata & Kathmandu.
      President, Advisory Board, Whistling Woods School of Communication, Mumbai.
      Former Director, Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication & Dean, SIU, Pune.
      Former Media Adviser, Textiles Ministry, GOI; The Nippon Foundation; and WHO, India.
    • George Abraham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2014

        Dear Friends ,

        Between September and December, 2013, we had telecast a TV serial “Nazar Ya Nazariya on DD National. It was a 13 episode serial and each episode was introduced and signed off by Naseeruddin Shah and anchored by the well known TV actor Harsh Chhaya.

        The serial talked about the possibilities that there are in a life with blindness. The focus was on the possibilities rather than the disability. Packed with 48 exciting case stories and scenarios , each episode is inspirational and revealing. The watching of the episodes could impact thinking, understanding and change perspectives.

        Would any of you be interested in hosting or arranging a  60 minute “Nazar Ya Nazariya session” in your city/organisation? The session comprises screening of short versions of different episodes, inspirational talks and a Q and A session. If interested, do please let me know.

        I am also pasting below a brief note about myself for your reference.

        1.      Post Graduate/Graduate from St Stephen’s College, Delhi 1976-81

        2.      Worked with Ogilvy Benson & Mather and Advertising & Sales Promotion Co for nearly 10 years.

        3.      Setup the World Blind Cricket Council in 1996 and was its Founding President. Launched the first ever World Cup of cricket for the Blind in 1998. Initiated the National Blind cricket programme in 1990.

        4.      Co-authored a book on Inclusive Education which was published by Sage in 2004

        5.      Elected as an Ashoka Fellow in 2001. Declared Limca Book of Records People of the year  2007. Awarded the Sanskriti Award in 1994. Ran with the Olympic Torch at Atlanta in 1996. Was featured on Discovery Channel’s series “Discovery People”. Was featured on the “Aviva Forward Thinkers” campaign and was featured on Paul Murten’s travel show “Paul Murten in India”.

        6.      Launched Project Eyeway  as a single stop Knowledge resource on “Life with Blindness” in  2003 comprising website, radio programme, helpdesk and advocacy.

        7.      Conceived the Television Show Nazar Ya Nazariya for broadcast on DD National with support from Sightsavers UK. The programme introduced by Naseeruddin Shah focuses on possibilities that there are in a life with blindness.

        8.      Was a member of the Steering Committee (socially vulnerable/marginalised groups) of  the11th/12th 5 year plans (Planning Commission).

        9.      Help setup the Low Vision Centre at the Dr.Shroff’s Charity Eye Hospital in 2000.

        10.  Passions include Public Speaking/communications, Cricket,Reading, Music

        I believe that “when you walk in faith, then God walks withyou.”

        I do look forward to hearing from you.

        Best regards,

        George

        George Abraham

        CEO

        Score Foundation

        17/107, LGF,

        Vikramvihar, Lajpatnagar 4,

        New Delhi 110024

        Ph: 91 11 26472581,91 11 46070396

        Mob: 91 9810934040

        Email: george@...

        Website: www.scorefoundation.org.in/www.eyeway.org

        Skype: georgeabraham13

      • Praful Bidwai
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2014
          Dear Ujjwalji,

          Many thanks. I do recall that we met and had a pleasant interaction.

          My piece was written two weeks ago, before inner-party differences emerged and Shazia quit.

          I don't think AAP is going to implode. It has patched up differences for the moment, but AK remains extremely individualistic and a very difficult person.

          If AAP doesn't do well in the Delhi elections--and worse, if it tries to form a government with the Congress, as reported--it would be in deep trouble.

          I think it should seek to join other progressive forces nationally, and not overemphasise Delhi.

          Best wishes,

          Praful

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2014
            Dear Prof Bidwai
            Your article carried a good analysis of AAP's serious problems:  Kejriwal is a very savy and smart political leader; yet his insistence on being the dominant policymaker and decisionmaker is hurting the party; the tendency of some photo opportunity leaders to be always seen with Kejriwal in the front row is causing resentment; too many street drama activities is making many people wonder if AAP's purpose is mostly to remain in the news limelight; lack of effort by AAP leadership to develop coherent policies on major issues eg economic policy, defense policy, foreign policy, policy on terrorism etc makes people wonder if the party's basic objective is to be just a protest organ or be a mature full fledged party.

            It is critical that AAP take time off from continuing street protests and put their house in all these areas in order; delegate top level responsibilities  in all important areas among senior leaders; listen to good people from outside AAP leadership.  I believe that all concerned folks want AAP to succeed and hope that they can fix these issues as they announced a few days ago.  The polity in India has degenerated so much due to extreme corruption and crony capitalism,  that it will take a long and sustained effort to make a dent in the problem.

            Kaleem Kawaja