Memorandum by Aam Aadmi Party Against discriminatory Nursery Admission Guidelines – Protest on Friday 13.12.20 13 at 2.30 pm in front of Lt. Governor’s Office

  • Ashok Agarwal
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2013

      The Lieutenant Governor,

      Government of NCT of Delhi

      Raj Niwas Marg, Delhi-110054

      12.12.2013

      Subject: Memorandum by Aam Aadmi Party Against discriminatory Nursery Admission Guidelines – Protest on Friday 13.12.2013 at 2.30 pm in front of Lt. Governor’s Office

      Respected Sir,

      We humbly submit that admission to nursery class in unaided private schools should only be done on the criteria of neighborhood and draw of lots. This is in conformity with the provisions of Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009 (RTE Act, 2009) and natural justice to small children and their parents. Any arbitrary criteria, if left to the schools, will lead to rampant corruption, as in the previous years, is unacceptable.

      We are shocked to read in the newspapers that you have said that the guidelines for nursery admission in unaided private schools will be the same this year without making any changes. It is submitted that the existing nursery guidelines are not only against the letters and spirit of the provisions of the RTE Act, 2009 but also contrary to the observations having been made by a Division Bench of Hon’ble Delhi High Court in its judgment dated 19.02.2013 in a PIL entitled Social Jurist vs. Government of NCT of Delhi and another (W.P.(C) No.8533/2010).

      The Hon’ble Judges of the Division Bench have made categorical observations, “Though we have held that Right to Education Act is not applicable to nursery schools, in our opinion there cannot be any difference yardstick to be adopted for education to children up to the age of 14 years irrespective of the fact that it applies to only elementary education. It is the right time for the Government to consider the applicability of Right to Education Act to the nursery classes as well, as in many of the States admissions are made right from the nursery classes and the children so admitted are automatically allowed to continue from Class-I. In that sense, the provisions of Section 13 would be rendered meaningless insofar as it prohibits screening procedure at the time of selection”.

      It is submitted that you kindly issue revised guidelines to extend the protection contained in Section 13 read with Section 2 (o) of RTE Act, 2009 to the process of admission to pre primary/nursery classes in general category for the coming academic session of 2014-15. If not done, the tiny tots and their parents will again be left to the mercy of the greedy management of unaided private schools.

      With great regards,

      Ashok Agarwal, Advocate

      National Executive Member

      Aam Aadmi Party (AAP)

      M-09811101923

      Email- juristashok@...

    • Mohammad Imran

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2013
          What is AAM's policy on CSS/NS and privatisation of education?
          ssr