Bharat Ratna to CNR Rao challenged in PIL

  • Amitabh Thakur
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2013
      My children Law student Tanaya and Class XII student Aditya today filed a PIL in Allahabad High Court, Lucknow Bench challenging Bharat Ratna award to scientist Dr CNR Rao. What is really heartening to me is that on Thursday they will appear in Court and will argue the case themselves.

      As per petition, Bharat Ratna is the highest award of this country and must be given after utmost scrutiny. There are many scientists like Jagdish Chandra Bose, S N Bose, Meghnad Saha, Dr Homi Bhabha, Vikram Sarabhai etc who made much more lasting and important contribution to science compared to Dr Rao, who comes as occupying posts in government most of the time due to proximity to power.

      The petition says, Dr Rao has allegedly published 1400 research papers which is physically impossible, given the fact that one good research takes at least 6 to 8 months. He has been alleged of plagiarism of an article in foreign journal Advance Materials, for which he even apologized. Other allegations of plagiarism have been made against him for December 2011 issue of the Journal of Luminescence, January 2006 issue of Advanced Materials and another paper published in 2010 in the Applied Physics Express.

      Tanaya and Aditya have said that a scientist with proven cases of plagiarism shall not be presented the highest civilian award and hence the award notification needs to be quashed.

      I wish my children all the best and feel so happy that they have gathered courage to appear before the High Court to argue the case, which to them is a new beginning.

      Here is a copy of the PIL--

      Amitabh Thakur
      Lucknow
      # 094155-34526
    • University Today
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013
        Congrats and best wishes in advance. We need such activists if they do not convert money bags later.
        U may like to know that Prof C N R Rao, in a communication, had admitted to his plagiarism because of oversight. The next I knew was that he was awarded Bharat Ratna!
        On my part (I happen to be a law graduate from the University of Delhi where I spent 37 years as a teacher). I also had my share of petition(s0. Of that sometime later.
        Regards,
        -- Kalra, Editor, University Today

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2013
            Dear Amitabhji,
            Good luck to our new generation crusader. Knowingly or unknowingly they are going to reopen a crucial truth of our 'nationalism' or nationalist patriotism , which has always remained biased against the non-partisan( non pro-state) scientist.  Most of them are now forgotten names even in sarkari scientific circles. But it is heartening to know that younger people have started asking questions about the accountability of the privileged scientists.
            Meghnath Saha was an M.P. (Rajya Sabha) and when he differed with Pandit Nehru on Scientific Policy of Indian Science he was threatened that he would not get Govt support for his research activities.Needless to say that he was one of the most brilliant scientist India has till date and he came from a very poor economic background (being a Namo-Shudra in Bengal). For him support from Govt. and from his dear friend Prime Minister Nehru was invaluable to continue his scientific research for the greater cause of humanity. But, as a true believer of scientific ethics and a man of conviction he resigned from his M.P. seat and later contested for Lok Sabha seat from Calcutta East (or North-East) and became an M.P. But unfortunately he died shortly and could not pursue his work for establishing a People Science Policy for our Indian people. His precious document on Indian science was left alone. One copy was there in Physics Dept n Kanpur I.I.T. One does not know whether there is any copy in Allahabad University, where he spent a long time.
            Acharya J.C.Bose and Satyan Bose worked diligently for spreading scientific knowledge among common people although they were internationally acclaimed scientists. Both of them again came from non elite background. Satyan Bose even used have sessions with secondary school students about science. In my childhood I had one opportunity to attend one session with him in my school as a student of class VI th of a Govt. school. I did not know who was this simple man talking with us about science. Later, I was astonished to know from my parents that his name was associated with Einstyn.   Of course, Bhava and Sarabhai came from elite background and they were quite acknowledged by the then Govt. of India.
            I as a strong follower of People's science wholeheartedly support the step taken by your children and would like to meet them to congratulate them personally . No matter what happens to the case this  ma be a new beginning of a great debate on Indian scientific culture. Our best wishes are with them.

                                                  गर बाज़ी इश्क़ का है तो दावों लगाओं यारों
                                                  जित गए तो क्या कहने हर गएँ कोई बात नहीं --फैज़ अहमद फैज़
            Most warmly,
            Ashok Choudhary
            All India Union Of Forest Working People

            --

            C/O Vikalp Social Organisation
            11, Mangal Nagar